Silver Conversationalist

40 Books Every Woman Should Read

The Girlfriend from AARP newsletter comes out every Thursday, and always has something interesting in it.  The one that caught my eye was, "40 Books Every Woman Should Read at Least once."  I've read eight of them, and thing I will look into reading more from the list. 

If you want to read something short, from the list to start with,  a great self-help type, "The Four Agreements " is excellent.  Another one on the list is "The Five Love Languages." also very good.  Going to add one of my own, "His Needs, Her Needs."   

One of my all time favorite books was on the list, "All The Light We Can Not See."  Beautifully written, amazing story, well developed characters, definitely a 10 out of 10.  If you want non-fiction, "Killers of the Flower Moon"  is one of the most fascinating true stories I have ever read. "Educated" is another non-fiction book that I really enjoyed.      ---  Christine

If there are some on the list you have read, would love hear from you.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I'd love to see the list, but don't really want more email. I wonder if newsletter content is posted on the non-community side of the AARP website.

I like your picks, @Rhymesometimes , and I especially wish philosophies like The Four Agreements would be taught in school.

A couple Non-fiction favorites of mine have been:

• Wild Communion: Experiencing Peace in Nature by Ruth Baetz
  • The Alphabet and the Goddess: Conflict between Word and Image by Leonard Shlain
  • Being Heumann: The Unrepentant Memoir of a Disability Rights Activist by Judith Heumann

A few fiction books I've enjoyed recently:

• Before the Dawn by Beverly Jenkins - historical fiction romance
  • Chicken Wire and Duct Tape by Tina Jordan -- story telling poetry

And I'll be bold an plug my own recently updated self-help ebook:

• Creating Sanity in Troubling Times: A Self-Health Guide

newest version available only at Smashwords.com 

If you'd like a coupon for a reduced price, message me. 😎

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@DeahWA Would definitely be interested in reading Creating Sanity in Troubling Times.  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

This particular writing is available at 
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1077327

If you'd like a coupon for a reduced price, message me.

It's also on Amazon, but don't get that one. It's the older version that hasn't been updated yet. Haven't had the chance yet to upload the update there. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, I think I need to check my subscriptions or perhaps my spam filter. I didn't see that list, although I doubt I would have read it - had you not posted this. So thanks. Because I read all day for work, I tend to read junk for pleasure, and also for the ease of putting it down and getting back to reading work stuff. 😉

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@ninaTx , You have to subscribe ( free )  When you sign on, and open the window, you will see the community option, right below is newsletter, click that and scroll down to The Girlfriend.  There is usually something to catch my eye. 

Went on a limerick writing jag throughout community. So much fun!   If you see anything with rhyming in the topic title, probably my silly contribution.  Enjoy your Sunday.  Going to be another hot day in Scottsdale, AZ  As I tell Deah,  sleeveless attire, with my untoned bat wings flapping in the breeze today.  Comfy.  Take care,   ---  Christine  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Join The Girlfriend and AARP® Staying Sharp® for a special live Facebook event on June 17th at 7:30 p.m. ET! Therapist Rachel Noble will discuss tips to create well-being and joy as we emerge from the pandemic.

Members Can Save More When They Travel

Save when booking a flight & hotel package. Join AARP today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health