Honored Social Butterfly

"Vera" on PBS

A new (to us) Brit crime series started last night, on one of my local PBS stations, "Vera". That's DCI Vera Stanhope, played by the wonderful Brenda Blethyn. As with many other Brit crime series, it's both darker than American detective shows, and the action seems to come at you from all angles, rather than linearly. If you like the series, the good news is that there have been 8 seasons filmed, and a 9th one confirmed, so there's plenty of "Vera" .. if PBS continues to pick it up.

The Wikipedia article describes Vera as: "obsessive about her work and driven by her own demons. She plods along in a constantly dishevelled state, but has a calculating mind and, despite her irascible personality, she cares deeply about her work and comrades." I was a little put-off by how frantic she got at times about the case, which certainly didn't calm things down.

Definitely worth a watch!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Recognized Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA, @nyadrn, No, I haven't seen anything about this series either. I'll have to see if it's on my channel! Thanks! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - I watched episode 2 last night, but I dozed off near the end! Now I've got to see if it's online or on demand.

Recognized Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEAThis has been available on Acorn for quite awhile but I have not  tried it.    I tend to stay away from crime dramas but I will probably try it based on your recommendation. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita - I like it because she's not quite as "put together" as a lot of the other DCI's investigating crime, so she comes across as more like the average person .. slightly emotional & disorganized at times.

The difference in culture is interesting too, as Vera refers to both her subordinates & people she meets during investigations as "pet". That might be as common as calling someone "hon(ey)" in America .. but I'm not sure that "Hon" would be acceptable these days in the work setting!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA wrote:

A new (to us) Brit crime series started last night, on one of my local PBS stations, "Vera". That's DCI Vera Stanhope, played by the wonderful Brenda Blethyn. As with many other Brit crime series, it's both darker than American detective shows, and the action seems to come at you from all angles, rather than linearly. If you like the series, the good news is that there have been 8 seasons filmed, and a 9th one confirmed, so there's plenty of "Vera" .. if PBS continues to pick it up.

The Wikipedia article describes Vera as: "obsessive about her work and driven by her own demons. She plods along in a constantly dishevelled state, but has a calculating mind and, despite her irascible personality, she cares deeply about her work and comrades." I was a little put-off by how frantic she got at times about the case, which certainly didn't calm things down.

Definitely worth a watch!

Thanks for sharing this..   I have been watching lots of Netflix and did not see this.  

Sounds good!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png