Honored Social Butterfly

"Unforgotten" - Season 3 on Masterpiece - Starts Week of 4/7!

Do you remember DCI Cassie Stuart & DI Sunny Kahn, investigating those complicate cold cases on "Unforgotten"? Well Season 3 starts tonight .. check out the trailer.

I just wish it aired earlier than 10 PM! 😉

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies
Honored Social Butterfly

So this week is the season finale .. did you see it last night, or will it be broadcast later in the week on your PBS station?

If you watched it already, were you surprised by which of the 4 friends killed Haley Reid? Did that make it feel like all the storylines about the other 3 were just red herrings? Were you surprised by how DCI Cassie Stuart reacted, once he started opening up?

There was a funeral near the end of the episode; do you think that was Pete Carr finally dying after being attacked?

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA  - I watched the final episode last night, and it was a surprise shocker. It never occurred to me that the killer would turn out to be a psychopathic serial killer. These shows seem to always lead you around to this suspect and that. Even after they had arrested Finch, I still wasn't sure he was going to be the guy. 

Cassie really became emotional, but it had been wearing on her for so long. Once Finch had confessed and started to lead them to other victims, she became overwhelmed to the point of having a breakdown. 

There was a funeral toward the end, and I thought it was for Pete. He died at the hospital. The blogger who caused his death was arrested. What surprised me was her motive. She turned out to be an upstart journalist who thought the only way to gain attention was to write sensational tabloid-like stories and dabble in conspiracy theories.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta - I either totally missed or forgot about the blogger who stabbed Pete!

Finch seemed like the most "normal" of the 4 friends, even with the possibility of him being abusive at home.

Recognized Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA , @MaVolta , @LaDolceVita 

I may have to watch that whole episode over again. I thought the funeral was for Haley's remains! wonder if I was falling asleep?

Thought Finch was the most normal also because he was so kind to Chris! I'm glad things will work out for Chris and whatever her name was.

Seems James and Elliot may slowly mend their relationship thanks to the ex wife.

Thought Cassie was going to lose her cookies the more Finch talked!

Glad she and her father had a talk.

Loved Sunny (is that his name?) having the discussion with his daughters about getting back with their mother and them letting him know it was better this way.

There is another season, so I'm glad for that. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500  - I can't imagine Hailey's family wanting any of that "gang of 4" at her funeral! Chris seemed more "normal" at the end .. but didn't he mention that they went for a "scan" & his girlfiend was pregnant? (I'm assuming that's British for ultrasound)? Those guys had to be in their early 60s, and Chris had been living in a van .. doesn't it seem a tad irresponsible for him to be having a baby at that point?!

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh, I didn't catch on what "the scan" was all about! I got it that they were getting married, but not the pregnancy. Maybe she's several years his junior? 

I can't remember how the funeral scene began, but I immediately thought, this is for Pete. And yes, all of the "usual suspects" and their families had gathered there, so it seems unlikely to have been for Haley. The funeral seemed to indicate that the affected families had started a healing process. It was a little confusing since the final scene was at Haley's grave after Cassie returned from her sabbatical.

It was nice to see Cassie get together with the former investigator. I wonder if he will return in the next series. The actor played Archie in the long running series Monarch of the Glen. I really enjoyed that show.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta I think I may need to watch that last episode again, for the finer points! I thought that Cassie was still on sabatical, when she met Sunny & Haley's family at the gravesite. I thought that left it open as to whether she'd be returning to work/the same position at work. Unfortunately, I think my other PBS station ran the final episode last night, so I guess I'd have to stream it online.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA  - There was some time lapse that flashed on the screen (3 weeks?) as Cassie arrived at the cemetery with her friend. That led me to believe that she had just returned. Sunny said something like welcome back boss or good to see you boss. Can't remember. Maybe you can replay just the ending online.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta I thought it was 3 months, and I just thought he said it was good to see her. 

I found this The Gardian Article about the finale. It confirms that:

• Chris's girlfriend Jamila is pregnant.
  • That is Pete Carr's funeral that James & Chris attend.

I read a bunch of other articles, but no one mentioned the amount of time that lapsed. They did imply that Cassie hadn't officially returned to work, so we were left hanging as to whether she'd run off with her old friend.

Honored Social Butterfly

So now we're getting brief flash-backs, as DCI Cassie Stewart & DI Sunny Khan question the 4 friends who rented a vacation house, at which Hayley worked. We now know that all 4 couples split up within a year of that joint vacation, and that artist Chris Lowe had a breakdown resulting in his decline from a very wealthy lifestyle. More details on this excellent Radio Times summary.

I was home in time to see Unforgotten! YAY.

Yes...now we see the relationship of the 4 men to each other. Chris is the bipolar artist, Jimmy is the father of the trans son, Pete is the sleazy salesman, and Tim is the doctor.

That was a great review, @ASTRAEA 

Also, I watched Midwife on the computer this AM so am caught up with that and then lo and behold, I was just looking at the On Demand section on my TV this afternoon and saw that Les Mis had no "$" next to episode 2 so I watched it, and am now caught up with that, too! Amazing! That is the first time I've been able to see a PBS show On Demand! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - I missed the 1st episode of "Les Miserables", and yesterday was catching up on e-mail while it was on in the other room .. everyone did sound miserable; so I'm not bothering.

@ASTRAEA ...Les Mis...aptly named. Guessing that is why I never wanted to see it anywhere, anytime. This second episode was even more depressing than the first! But, I will stick with it just so I can say I actually have seen a verasion of it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - I should have done that too .. for the same reason! 😉

0 Kudos

Poor Cassie...after Sunday night's episode when she left that file on one of the 4 guys in the cafe, I let out an audible gasp. She's getting no sleep and is so stressed over her father that she's running on empty.

I'm very curious as to what Elliot's involvement is in the case.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - I also gasped when she left that folder behind, because she's usually so methodical about work! I was also surprised that the folder wasn't just turned into the shop owner, and returned to the police. Guess the English aren't as civilized as I thought. I wonder if the Elliot storyline isn't just a red herring; he doesn't seem violent.

@ASTRAEA  I had a feeling it would have been too easy for the writers to have someone turn the file in. I wonder if she was being watched.

As for Eliot...it always seems like he's crying about something. Could be just bait to throw us off, but didn't his father say something about Eliot being there that night Hayley died?

Honored Social Butterfly

Darn .. I just typed a whole post and it vanished!

I haven't paid enough attention to where the story takes place, to know how "small town"/provincial the people are, and whether they'd natually band together against outsiders and the police .. and might be watching Cassie & Sunny.

In the 1st episode, didn't James seem to see Elliot made up as a woman for the first time? So it would seem that he wasn't "out" when Hayley was killed .. and what would have been his motive, unless he was on drugs. Obviously James isn't very open-minded, so Elliot probably never felt comfortable talking to him about his situation, and life's been tough.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've been watching this series, too. The Elliot mystery has me intrigued, also. It would seem that his father and real mother either know something or suspect something. The mother's account also conflicted with her husband's story. So could Elliot have done it, and they are trying to cover for him? Or does Hollis suspect that Elliot may know something? Cassie and Sunny just found out about Elliot.

It was so horrible about Cassie leaving the folder behind, with the contents making it's way to the unknown blogger. Who is this blogger and what is her motive? Is she someone who just thinks it fun to dabble in conspiracy theories? Whatever the case, Pete is dead, and the blood is on her hands. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta  - Are you sure that Pete died; I thought I saw a scene where he was being rushed to the hospital.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@MaVolta  - Are you sure that Pete died; I thought I saw a scene where he was being rushed to the hospital.

I must have missed that. Maybe he will survive the attack. It seems he was still withholding information from Cassie and Sunny. At any rate, the blogger would be accountable for his fate.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta Pete seems to to thru life having "cash flow problems", which he manages by stealing from companies for which he's worked, non-profits & clients. I think that part of that is due to being marginally competent no matter what he does.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - Yes, I believe he said that Elliot was there. On one of the earlier episodes, didn't the father seem very surprised to see Elliot made up like a woman? So if he's only come out recently, you wouldn't think that whatever happened with Haley years back didn't have anything to do with Elliot being transexual/homosexual.

I haven't paid enough attention to where this is supposed to take place, to know how small town/provincial the people are .. and whether they naturally band together against "outsiders" and the police.

@ASTRAEA ...YES!!!! I did see that this season starts tonight! I enjoyed this series in the past so I'm going to watch! N.

Enjoyed the first episode, but wow, way too many characters and storylines for me to start to connect yet! At least the main one with the cold case bones had some movement to an end. A bit overly dramatic with the sister at the end...all "boohooey" by the water's edge. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

I guess I didn't realize it wasn't going to finish up last night, but as it got closer to 11 pm, I also couldn't imagine how they could wrap up the investigation.. and they didn't! 

Took me some time to get back into the swing of interpreting the "British mumble" again. Cat Wink N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500  - I've gotten used to turning the "closed captions" on, when I watch anything British!

@ASTRAEA, @catwoman500 I always keep closed captioning on especially sinnce I watch Acorn most nights.  I will give Unforgotten a try very soon.  Mysteries and police shows are not my cup of tea, but lately I have really loved watching 2 Irish shows on Acorn,  Single Handed and Jack Taylor.  Taylor is played by Iain Glen and he is no cad here.   Both shows highly recommended. Woman Very Happy  The only thing is that there are way too few episodes.