Open enrollment for the ACA health insurance marketplace ends Saturday! There's still time to sign up or change your plan.

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "The Tunnel" - PBS

Message 1 of 15
I could never get into that one. But I like many other programs. In fact most of the stuff from the Uk is much better than our junk here. I fell in love with Pbs in 1974 and never looked back.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

That is complicated! I didn't watch enough to remember the names of the principal characters. Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

The evil duo called The Pied Piper, had been on murder rampage throughout the series, sometimes leaving clues along the way. Their victims were brutally or savagely murdered, but there were also victims who were tortured and released. I didn't realize it at first, but the victims were somehow linked to the disappearance of a child some 20 years earlier. The mother had plotted revenge and her deeply disturbed boyfriend helped her carry it out.

In the finale, eleven people are randomly abducted and loaded into the back of a meat truck, along with Elise. The people are slowly being gassed to death in the truck, and Elise appears with a bomb strapped around her neck. Karl is told to choose. He can denotate the bomb and save the people, or save Elise. 

Karl tried to negotiate, as he had found Saban, the missing boy, had been adopted and raised by a French couple. But PP would not tell the mother, and insisted that he had to choose Elise or the innocent people. When Karl hesitated to save the people, Elise (for the greater good), set off the bomb herself.  

But it didn't end there. As police finally arrive on the scene, the couple takes off with Karl in persuit. He manages to ram the car and flip it. Of course, they survive. When Karl tells the woman about her son, she shoots the guy and turns the gun on herself, but Karl is able to stop her and she goes to jail. Karl brings her pictures of her son and tells her about his life, and that he is soon to be married. He asks her if she really wants her son to know all that she's done. It ends with her looking at the pictures. Of course, everyone else is grieving the loss of Elise.

Karl ties up the loose ends of a separate case that Elise had been working on that involved another child abduction. He found that a crooked cop had covered it up for money. It looked like Karl and his wife might get back together as it ended.

Sorry it's a little long, but no other way to explain it. I was really surprised to read all the great reviews and how popular the series was.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@MaVolta - I'm glad you posted about it! I was thinking of watching it the other night, but that's the kind of series where you're totally lost, if you don't watch every week. I'm curious about the "tragic ending", but am not sure I'd understand even if you told us what happened!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

It's finally over!!  There was nothing in the end to pull this series out of deep muck into which it had submerged; just another sick tragedy to end it all. Good riddence to The Tunnel Series 3.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

This show is going totally off the rails and way into the macabre. It's so near the end, that I want to see how they finally solve the crimes. They know who did it, just a matter of catching them now. 

They say that a new writer was brought on for Season 3. I'm sure glad it's the last one. Why she came up with such a sick story line is beyond me. Seasons 1 and 2 were wierd, but nothing like this. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

@MaVolta - Ooh, I actually do remember that; I thin that the terrorism idea was just a theory. Yes, I know that mice & rats are bred as food for pets & animals in zoos/wildlife parks. Since my feral cats hunt, and I often see the remains, the alternative of a frozen mouse or rat actually seems more palatable (to me at least, but not the cats).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

They were able to trace the rats back to a "rat farm" where they are raised for reptile food. There was a barn full of cages with live rats, and a freezer full of dead ones! Yuk!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

@MaVolta - From what little I watched, before dozing off, it sounded like terrorism, because they weren't "local" rats .. is that correct?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

@ASTRAEA - This past episode, we learned where the rats came from. It wasn't pretty!

Kudos
Views