Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: "The Tunnel" - PBS

Message 1 of 10

This show is going totally off the rails and way into the macabre. It's so near the end, that I want to see how they finally solve the crimes. They know who did it, just a matter of catching them now. 

They say that a new writer was brought on for Season 3. I'm sure glad it's the last one. Why she came up with such a sick story line is beyond me. Seasons 1 and 2 were wierd, but nothing like this. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 10

@MaVolta - Ooh, I actually do remember that; I thin that the terrorism idea was just a theory. Yes, I know that mice & rats are bred as food for pets & animals in zoos/wildlife parks. Since my feral cats hunt, and I often see the remains, the alternative of a frozen mouse or rat actually seems more palatable (to me at least, but not the cats).

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 10

They were able to trace the rats back to a "rat farm" where they are raised for reptile food. There was a barn full of cages with live rats, and a freezer full of dead ones! Yuk!

Message 4 of 10

@MaVolta - From what little I watched, before dozing off, it sounded like terrorism, because they weren't "local" rats .. is that correct?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 10

@ASTRAEA - This past episode, we learned where the rats came from. It wasn't pretty!

Message 6 of 10

@MaVolta - When I was watching one episode, a woman officer got out of her car to check something, and was suddenly overrun by an army of rats .. I couldn't watch that!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 10

I've been watching The Tunnel series from the beginning, and yes, it has a very dark side. It has been a very strange mystery series, even weird at times, and has also had some very violent scenes that I couldn't watch. But there has also been an undercurrent of humor that rides below the surface. Since this is the last season, I do want to see how it all ends. 

The two investigators are practically polar opposites. Karl is a fairly straight forward, laid back, character on the Brit side. On the French side, Elise has been a much more complex character that seems to battle her own demons. I think Elise has gone through the entire series without a change of expression. I mean, she is stone faced, which contributes to some of the humor involved; amazing job by the actress Clemence Poesy.

Highlighted

Message 8 of 10

@nyadrn - I could answer that question a lot better, if I actually managed to stay awake thru an entire episode! Smiley Wink

I can't put my finger on what the difference is, but I find that the Brit/European crime dramas are a little "darker", than American series like the various "Law & Order" shows. Not sure if it's the characters, the production style, or the story lines themselves. Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 10

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Are any of you watching "The Tunnel"; in the NY Metro area it's broadcast Sunday nights after Masterpiece Theater? This is season 3:

"The Tunnel: Vengeance" is set amidst post-Brexit hysteria, an escalating refugee crisis and the increasing threat of terror occasioned by disenfranchised, exiled souls on whom society has turned its back. Karl and Elise take on a toxic and terrifying folie à deux whose mutual defining quality is an existential deathwish. When the question posed by the couple – what is a life worth? – is directed straight back at Karl, he is forced to confront an utterly impossible choice."

I totally missed the first 2 seasons, but with this starting at 10:30 PM, I generally fall asleep shortly into each episode! Smiley Sad

No never heard of it.  I get up pretty early and don't ususually watch later programs.  Do you like it?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

"The Tunnel" - PBS

Message 10 of 10

Are any of you watching "The Tunnel"; in the NY Metro area it's broadcast Sunday nights after Masterpiece Theater? This is season 3:

"The Tunnel: Vengeance" is set amidst post-Brexit hysteria, an escalating refugee crisis and the increasing threat of terror occasioned by disenfranchised, exiled souls on whom society has turned its back. Karl and Elise take on a toxic and terrifying folie à deux whose mutual defining quality is an existential deathwish. When the question posed by the couple – what is a life worth? – is directed straight back at Karl, he is forced to confront an utterly impossible choice."

I totally missed the first 2 seasons, but with this starting at 10:30 PM, I generally fall asleep shortly into each episode! Smiley Sad