Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Little Women" on PBS' Masterpiece Theater

Message 1 of 19

@MaVolta wrote:

.. It's funny, after watching a new version, I'm inclined to want to go back and see how the other versions handled some of the details (ha!).

I know just what you mean, after watching a recent version of "Anna Karenina"! That's been done in movie format in 1935 (Greta Garbo & Fredric March), 1948 (Vivian Leigh & Kieron Moore), 1985 (Jacqueline Bisset & Christopher Reeve), 1997 (Sophie Marceau & Sean Bean) and 2012 (Keira Knightley & Aaron Johnson).

Anna is supposed to be a married women with a 7 or 8 year old child, and her lover Vronsky is supposed to be younger than her. But Frederic March & Sean Bean were both about 8 years older than their leading ladies! I never saw the Bisset/Reeve version, and only watched about 5 minutes of the 2012 one, because Aaron Johnson looked like a kid no married woman would give up her family for! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

I wasn't sure that I'd watch this show. I read the book waaaay back in grade school, and have seen the 1933 movie at least 3 times, and also the 1949 version, and possibly some of the others. But Masterpiece is still the best programming on tv these days, so I did watch and wasn't disappointed. So even though the major events came as no surprise, I thought the actors brought something special to the performances. Angela Lansbury and Michael Gambon are so perfect for their parts, and one reason I was compelled to watch. Emily Watson is also a familiar face, but I don't recall what role. 

It's funny, after watching a new version, I'm inclined to want to go back and see how the other versions handled some of the details (ha!).

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

@ASTRAEA, When I was out to dinner tonight, one of my friends reminded me that Emily Watson (Marmie) was also in the movie from quite a few years ago, Angela's Ashes, based on the book by Frank McCourt.

I agree about Meg standing up to Aunt March in defense of John. It was like she talked herself into understanding she did love him.

I also agree about the glove thing...that was such a trivial thing to get all worked up about...STEALING the glove... like it was a major felony. Very odd.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

@catwoman500 - I'm so glad you posted before me, so I'd know that my own negative feelings about Amy weren't just how I felt! I was terribly disappointed that Laurie turned his attentions to "the bratty sister" Amy, after Jo rejected him .. although his final "clarification" during the visit home after they'd married, was something of a vindication. I don't know how Laurie was described in Alcott's book, but he at least in this adaptation he seemed a bit too "sensitive" and "pretty" a man, compared to Jo's stronger & plainer personality & appearance. Maybe he was more like Amy, than Jo!

I was happy when Meg immediately defended John Brooke, surprising herself with a confession of love, when Aunt March found the former tutor to be "unsuitable" & "washing her hands" of a family obligation to Meg.

Question: Maybe it's the writing of the mid-19th century, but how did you feel about the way women of the time (were supposed to) displayed their sensitivity & affection? I found some of it "overwrought" & a tad cloistered/immature. Best example was Jo getting angry when Marmee explained the arrangement/set-up to get Meg & John Brooke together. She kept harping on him "stealing" Meg's glove .. when in retrospect it was easy to see that as his way of getting a memento to remember her by. And then Jo said something about not wanting things to change, in the family dynamic .. how immature, to expect 4 young women to stay home forever, and not marry & start their own families.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

So, did everyone watch the conclusion? It was as I expected but for a couple of things I forgot... like Jo and the professor opening the school. How did I forget that? And, as I mentioned before, I had forgotten what a brat Amy actually was, but I got to see more of her behavior last night. Never sure why Laurie married her. Couldn't have his true love so he "settled?" Cat Tongue N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

Marmie (Emily Watson) looked familiar to me too, but in looking her up on Wikipedia, nothing jumped out as the reason why .. she played the mother of one of Stephen Hawking's wives in "The Theory of Everything".

I too was surprised in reading up about the "Little Women" book, that they described Beth as a beauty, and she looked pretty plain in this PBS series.

PS - The worst of it doesn't actually happen until the 3rd episode, although the situation starts in the 2nd.

Just as a casting comparison, although it takes place earlier in the 19th century, are the multiple productions of "Pride and Prejudice" we've seen over the years. I thought that Jennifer Ehle was very plain as Lizzie Bennet, in the 1995 TV series (with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy), compared to the very attractive Keira Knightley in the 2005 film (with Matthew Macfadyen as Darcy).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

@ASTRAEA, Yes, I watched part one and enjoyed it. Angela Lansbury is perfect as Aunt March. The rest of the characters seem to be cast well, also, but I'm not sure about the way Beth is being portrayed, though. She was the shy, sweet sister, but I always pictured her as more of a beauty. The actress who plays mother, Marmie, is familiar to me, and I know I've seen the girls in other performances, but offhand I can't recall where.

I had forgotten that Amy was such a brat! Jo's character seems to be spot on and so does Meg's.

I look forward to the second part, except for one thing that happens. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

Who watched the 1st episode of "Little Women" last night (took the spot of "Call the Midwife" on my PBS station)?

Since I never read the book, or saw the entire movie before, I haven't gotten all the sisters down pat .. but I sure know the clever one Jo, and the annoying brat Amy! Smiley Wink

I don't want to give away too much, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet .. but for those who've read/seen it before, what did you think of the casting? Angela Lansbury - at 92 - is still feisty as the wealthy "Aunt March"!

It's an interesting peak into life in the mid-19th century, especially for women. Their situation is described as "genteel poverty", so because of their social status, the girls debut in society .. but can't afford the attire of their peers, and must also work to help support the family. That said, I take that "poverty" part with a grain of salt, considering that they have a relatively large, comfortable house, plenty of food & a servant.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

@catwoman500wrote:

@nyadrn, Yes. I was happy with the preview. It was great to have the characters reviewed and it refreshed my memory. I think they really selected the right actors for each character. So happy that Angela Lansbury is playing Aunt March.

Giving the background of the March family helped fill in gaps for me. I read the book maybe a couple of times, but it was when I was, way, way younger. HA!

@catwoman500   yes me too although it seems like yesterday  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

@nyadrn, Yes. I was happy with the preview. It was great to have the characters reviewed and it refreshed my memory. I think they really selected the right actors for each character. So happy that Angela Lansbury is playing Aunt March.

Giving the background of the March family helped fill in gaps for me. I read the book maybe a couple of times, but it was when I was, way, way younger. HA!

Kudos
Views