On Memorial Day weekend, we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice. AARP also offers resources and news for military veterans and families.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Downton Abbey" .. the next period

Message 1 of 4

I remember this movie, but since I saw it long before Downton Abbey, I never thought about the comparison. I will look for these titles on Roku.

We also enjoy the British movies and tv shows, more so than most of today's American brand of tv and film. We watch a lot of Acorn TV.

Most American comedy has become obnoxious, and most of the films tend to center on special effects rather than telling the story. That's one reason I love the old classic films on TCM. By contrast, I think the Brits focus more on the story, and the characters and their relationships.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

@retiredtraveler - Some people like British & foreign films, and other people like American-style blockbusters. I have no interest in the latter, and don't mind that the former may have a slower pace & absolutely no special effects!

I do remember watching the original "Upstairs/Downstairs", and even the newer version with a different family moving into the house.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

I'm not sure how interesting others would find these films. They're a bit 'slow', some might say 'tedious'. DW and I like them because we're such fans of Brit drama and know what to expect.

It's dated, but the original 'Upstairs, Downstairs' would be something, if you have Netflix, that you might want to watch. The original is from 1971, but it's one of those series that for me, I could 'binge watch'.

It's the 'original' Downton Abbey (arguably). Has all the drama, and characters, from 'above stairs' and 'below stairs'. The characters very much parallel those in Downton.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

"Downton Abbey" .. the next period

Message 4 of 4

Because of the parallels with "Downton Abbey", I thought I'd mention this film in "TV talk".

One of my PBS channels has classic movies Saturday night, and last night they broadcast the 1993 award-winning "The Remains of the Day". One of those wonderful Merchant-Ivory films, it's about a relationship between the butler (Anthony Hopkins) and much younger housekeeper (Emma Thompson), in a great house that rivals Downton Abbey in size & staff. Although the book upon which the film is based starts in 1923 (same period as Downton), the movie compresses the time period, so that it's just before WWII, when some of the English aristocracy were supporting appeasement of the Nazis, because they had "similar sensibilities" about who/what was important.

It was very interesting to compare counterparts: Mr. Stevens with Mr. Carson, and Miss Kenton with Mrs. Hughes .. and their relationships with each other. While Stevens & Carson are equally dedicated to their positions & the household, Stevens is much more emotionally repressed, while Miss Kenton is more emotional .. while understanding "her place" .. so nothing actually happens between them. It seems that Lord Darlington has no immediate family, unlike Robert Crawley, but I'd hope that despite some of Robert's poor financial choices, he wouldn't turn out to be a Nazi sympathizer in the 1930s!

Wouldn't it be great if they broadcast "Gosford Park" while this is all fresh in the mind; a similar setting, and that one was written by Sir Julian Fellowes!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies