Honored Social Butterfly

"Call The Midwife" - Season 7 Premiere Late March

Are you ready? Watch the trailer for the Call The Midwife - Season 7 premiere .. March 25th, or check your local PBS listing! New programs at Nonnatus House, a new midwife, a new helper for Dr. & Shelagh Turner.

If you need a refresher on the characters & their relationships, this is a good place for it: http://callthemidwife.wikia.com/wiki/Patrick_Turner

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

Quite a shocking turn of events, in episode 7, and episode 8 is the season finale!

Hated the mother who wanted to keep her daughter & her husband apart, and was so controlling.

Recognized Social Butterfly

WHOA! I didn't see that coming!

I'm not going to mention what happened in case someone hasn't seen this episode yet, but the tissues were filling my waste basket!

Oh, that mother was such a pain! I'm glad the young man got to hold his little son.

This episode sure made me wonder what is going to happen in the finale. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, @MaVolta - I think the episode bothered me more, because we had a sudden event like that in my family about 2 years ago .. and that person wasn't even really sick!

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA

@catwoman500

Wow! That was a shocker! So what will happen to Tom? Preview didn't look to good for him.

The Turners helping the troubled young couple was a touching story. 

I do hope the finale is more upbeat with Sr Monica Joan's birthday, but then they also have to deal with Barbara's funeral. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono

OK...so the word is out about Barbara.

I was a mess through the episode. First Barbara rallies, and then....Cat Sad I was also shocked. I hadn't read anthing about this season, so was not ready for that at all!

Dr. Turner looked at Tim's staying out too late a little differently after he dealt with that poor young father who was sentenced to 3 years. N.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - The Turners recently moved to a nicer, more modern & suburban home, but their work brought them to people on the lowest rung of the scale, financially, educationally & socially. At 17, their son Tim is still something of a child coddled by his parents, compared to the boy in "remand" who was fathering a baby & trying to do the right thing & be responsible .. without the family guidance or education to make better decisions.

I didn't get much crocheting done last night. I was constantly reaching for tissues as my eyes were not dry from the moment Fred started to shave Tom in preparation for the funeral to the last glimpse of Reggie's carousel on Barbara's grave in the Sister Monica Joan birthday reel. What an emotional season finale. I hate that we have to wait until next year. Hopefully we can see the Christmas episode in December.

Oh, the babies that were born last night! WOW! Nurse Crane and her poor back, Sr. Monica Joan worrying about not having a birthday party, the "Uncle Donald" storyline, Trixie waving to Sr. Monica Joan in the birthday reel. That was a packed episode, but still not enough to hold us until next season.  N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - That's a nice summary.

That was a lot of babies! maybe the most they've had in one episode.

Reggie's carousel was such sweet touch, and then the pictures on the movie reel brought it all back. I wasn't sure if Tom would be able to sit through it, but he did. So he may be leaving for a while, but plans to return? I take it that he will show up somewhere in season 8.

It was nice to see a change of heart by the daughter in the "Uncle Donald" story. 

But Sr Monica Joan showed everyone that living must go on, even through times of sadness and mourning. Her surprise birthday party was a nice ending.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - I needed the tissues for the "Uncle Donald" storyline; not bad enough that "Uncle Donald" had dementia .. but was gay as well, back then!

I thought that Stanley Hodgkiss (the projectionist) looked familiar, and now I know why .. David Bamber played the incredibly annoying & pompous cousin/clergyman, Mr. Collins, in "Pride & Prejudice" .. who wants to marry Elizabeth Bennet!

Yes; I'm horrified that the next season won't start until spring 2019!

Honored Social Butterfly

DON'T FORGET the Season Finale will be the 1st Sunday in May (or that week on your PBS station). The trailer says, "The team rallies to prepare for Sister Monica Joan's birthday." At least that sounds upbeat .. wonder if that's supposed to be after her 2nd cataract surgery?!

Hardly seems possible that the season is almost over.Cat Sad

Honored Social Butterfly

Another episode with excellent storylines! Sister Monica Joan's 1st cataract surgery, a new widow's shop burns down .. and her water breaks the same night, and another revelation about how backwards England still was in the 1960s, with a mother angry about the midwives' sex education class.

What do you think is wrong with Barbara .. how did she get it, and will she survive?

Honored Social Butterfly

Once again, Fred Buckle to the rescue! We saw Fred bring the community together to rebuild the widow's store and get her back in business after the devastating fire. Only that's after Nurse Crane manages to get the family out of the burning building in the first place, while Barbara and Tom provide shelter while the building is repaired. 

The exchanges between Sr Monica Joan and Mrs Valentine, both before and after surgery, were priceless! It's so funny when Shelagh has to 'review' the romance novel from Mrs Valentine before it can be donated to maternity home!

@ASTRAEA - Dr Turner thought that Barbara had septicemia, a bacterial infection of the bloodstream. The bacteria can come from internal or external infections elsewhere in the body. The red dots on Barbara's skin was an indicator that the disease was advancing rapidly. It can lead to sepsis which is life threatening.

Years ago, my father had septicemia caused by a ruptured appendix. The infection from the ruptured appendix resulted in peritonitis that led to septicemia. It was touch and go for a couple of days, followed by a long recovery in ICU.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta - It was amazing how Mrs. Valentine got Sister Monica Joan to relax & unwind!

Yes, that's what Dr. Turner said, but you have to wonder how she'd get it, considering how they're always scrubbing up! At first I thought maybe she had the measles, which would be another kind of terrible.

Until that other woman broke down & talked about her sister, and came around, she was pretty disruptive, wasn't she? Isn't it amazing that her mother could have sent her pregnant sister to a mental institution permanently, just because she was a little "boy crazy"?! And maybe if the mother had explained the birds & bees to her, she wouldn't have been that bad either.

Honored Social Butterfly

The terminology used by the mental institution to describe the girl's condition was really wierd. The nurse said that she was admitted for moral insanity.

@MaVolta, @ASTRAEA...I did catch the "moral insanity" diagnosis and in the moment I questioned my own hearing! Then I forgot about it until you mentioned it. How odd was that?

Yes, "hysteria" was the term they used for women when they had no other findings. How eye-rolling indeed!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta - I didn't catch that "moral insanity" description, but years ago almost everything that didn't have an obvious physical origin was considered "hysteria" in women .. constructive, right?! (insert eye-roll)

@ASTRAEA. @MaVolta..Yes! I had to keep reminding myself that it was 1963 (right?) because of the many "taboos" that one woman was ranting about. Surely the US was more advanced than that in 1963.

And, dear sweet Fred, "sorting" everything out after the fire. I thought we were going to lose Phyllis!

I have an eye exam coming up this week and am praying I'm not ready for cataract surgery yet. Hopefully things are a little more advanced now.Cat LOL Loved the singing from Mrs. Valentine and Sister Monica Joan.

How in the world did Barbara get septicemia? Where had she and Tom been before their return to Poplar?

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm looking forward to the new season, too! So many characters are coming and going now. 

Ditto! I'm all set for the 2 episodes tomorrow night and I pre-ordered the DVD today. Cat Very Happy After seeing the Christmas show I can't wait to see the new cast additions, but know I'll miss some of the regulars. Enjoy! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 @MaVolta @ASTRAEA

I really enjoyed the premier ..  like the new cast member and the story line.  Did you all watch?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - I watched most of it. I just can't stand when there are pig-headed family members, who only make things worse. Bad enough the salon owner didn't like the new midwife because she's mixed race, but she treated her son-in-law like he didn't exist.

I watched, and as always was surprised how fast the time goes. I enjoyed all of it and especially the comic relief parts about Sister Winifred and her driving and Sheila and the au pair! Cat LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, I watched both episodes. Lots to enjoy with Lucille, the new mid-wife from Jamaica, Sheila's 'refugee' nanny, and Trixie's love interest. It's also interesting to see the changing of the times as they progress into the mid-60's. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh boy.   Tonight’s show was good except for that “go back to your wife for the good of the children” speech from Trixie.  I could have done without that thrown in. 

Grrrrr.    

Honored Social Butterfly

Episode 3 got really heavy. There was Magda and her attempt at self-abortion. The Lunt family dealing with the devastating Huntington's disease was very sad. Trixie was so compassionate in trying to help them as much as she could. Finally, she sacrifices her own love interest for the sake of his child only to turn back to alcohol for solace. 

@catwoman500 - You're right, we needed Fred Buckle last night!

Spoiler alert - Be careful if you google articles or blogs. Season 8 is already airing in the UK.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVoltawrote:

Episode 3 got really heavy. There was Magda and her attempt at self-abortion. The Lunt family dealing with the devastating Huntington's disease was very sad. Trixie was so compassionate in trying to help them as much as she could. Finally, she sacrifices her own love interest for the sake of his child only to turn back to alcohol for solace. 

@catwoman500 - You're right, we needed Fred Buckle last night!

Spoiler alert - Be careful if you google articles or blogs. Season 8 is already airing in the UK.

@MaVolta  It was a really serious night!! and boy I did not know that the "communist block countries" allowed abortion before England did.

In watching this past Sunday's episode I almost had a panic attack for fear Trixie was leaving! I quickly Googled and read that she will only be gone for a little while to "rehab" while the actress has her real life baby. Whew!

Poor Sister Monica Joan! I'm so glad she was persuaded to have the cataract surgery.

Kudos to that Pakistani (I think that is what they said that family was) woman for accepting her cousin as her husband's second wife. Gee! That was quite a shock to her.

Never a dull moment around Nonatus House!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - Good summary. I had read somewhere about Trixie, or rather the actress leaving to have a baby, but with plans to return. The Pakistani family was very much the culture shock. What a difficult situation that was. At least they were able to come to terms with it. 

The scene with Fred and Sister Monica Joan was so very touching. Good work Fred!