Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: "Call The Midwife" - Season 7 Premiere Late March

Message 11 of 36

DON'T FORGET the Season Finale will be the 1st Sunday in May (or that week on your PBS station). The trailer says, "The team rallies to prepare for Sister Monica Joan's birthday." At least that sounds upbeat .. wonder if that's supposed to be after her 2nd cataract surgery?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 36

@MaVolta, @ASTRAEA...I did catch the "moral insanity" diagnosis and in the moment I questioned my own hearing! Then I forgot about it until you mentioned it. How odd was that?

Yes, "hysteria" was the term they used for women when they had no other findings. How eye-rolling indeed!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 36

@MaVolta - I didn't catch that "moral insanity" description, but years ago almost everything that didn't have an obvious physical origin was considered "hysteria" in women .. constructive, right?! (insert eye-roll)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 36

The terminology used by the mental institution to describe the girl's condition was really wierd. The nurse said that she was admitted for moral insanity.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 36

@MaVolta - It was amazing how Mrs. Valentine got Sister Monica Joan to relax & unwind!

Yes, that's what Dr. Turner said, but you have to wonder how she'd get it, considering how they're always scrubbing up! At first I thought maybe she had the measles, which would be another kind of terrible.

Until that other woman broke down & talked about her sister, and came around, she was pretty disruptive, wasn't she? Isn't it amazing that her mother could have sent her pregnant sister to a mental institution permanently, just because she was a little "boy crazy"?! And maybe if the mother had explained the birds & bees to her, she wouldn't have been that bad either.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 36

@ASTRAEA. @MaVolta..Yes! I had to keep reminding myself that it was 1963 (right?) because of the many "taboos" that one woman was ranting about. Surely the US was more advanced than that in 1963.

And, dear sweet Fred, "sorting" everything out after the fire. I thought we were going to lose Phyllis!

I have an eye exam coming up this week and am praying I'm not ready for cataract surgery yet. Hopefully things are a little more advanced now.Cat LOL Loved the singing from Mrs. Valentine and Sister Monica Joan.

How in the world did Barbara get septicemia? Where had she and Tom been before their return to Poplar?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 36

Once again, Fred Buckle to the rescue! We saw Fred bring the community together to rebuild the widow's store and get her back in business after the devastating fire. Only that's after Nurse Crane manages to get the family out of the burning building in the first place, while Barbara and Tom provide shelter while the building is repaired. 

The exchanges between Sr Monica Joan and Mrs Valentine, both before and after surgery, were priceless! It's so funny when Shelagh has to 'review' the romance novel from Mrs Valentine before it can be donated to maternity home!

@ASTRAEA - Dr Turner thought that Barbara had septicemia, a bacterial infection of the bloodstream. The bacteria can come from internal or external infections elsewhere in the body. The red dots on Barbara's skin was an indicator that the disease was advancing rapidly. It can lead to sepsis which is life threatening.

Years ago, my father had septicemia caused by a ruptured appendix. The infection from the ruptured appendix resulted in peritonitis that led to septicemia. It was touch and go for a couple of days, followed by a long recovery in ICU.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 36

Another episode with excellent storylines! Sister Monica Joan's 1st cataract surgery, a new widow's shop burns down .. and her water breaks the same night, and another revelation about how backwards England still was in the 1960s, with a mother angry about the midwives' sex education class.

What do you think is wrong with Barbara .. how did she get it, and will she survive?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 36

You just have to love Fred! Heart

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 36

@catwoman500 - Good summary. I had read somewhere about Trixie, or rather the actress leaving to have a baby, but with plans to return. The Pakistani family was very much the culture shock. What a difficult situation that was. At least they were able to come to terms with it. 

The scene with Fred and Sister Monica Joan was so very touching. Good work Fred! 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors