Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why Are Some Series Only Run in the Middle of the Night?

Message 1 of 9

@nyadrn wrote:

So the question is, "Why do they rerun other series during evening hours, instead of rotating with these other series to which they also have access?". 

Since all all decisions are made based on viewers and dollars, there must be favored time slot fillers but good question.

But isn't the catch-22 that if they only broadcast a series in the middle of the night, it will never attain the large audience it would need, to justify it replacing one of the series on during prime time?!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm fighting off a cold, and the other night got a cup of tea & put the TV on at 3:45 AM. I checked out one of my local PBS stations, and caught the tail end of an interesting Canadian series I've never heard about before: "Murdoch Mysteries". According to Wikipedia:

"The series takes place in Toronto starting in 1895 and follows Detective William Murdoch (Yannick Bisson) of the Toronto Constabulary, who solves many of his cases using methods of detection that were unusual at the time. These methods include fingerprinting (referred to as "finger marks" in the series), blood testing, surveillance and trace evidence."

So this is a very different concept from all the other mystery series that take place in the current time period.

So the question is, "Why do they rerun other series during evening hours, instead of rotating with these other series to which they also have access?". 

Since all all decisions are made based on viewers and dollars, there must be favored time slot fillers but good question.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm fighting off a cold, and the other night got a cup of tea & put the TV on at 3:45 AM. I checked out one of my local PBS stations, and caught the tail end of an interesting Canadian series I've never heard about before: "Murdoch Mysteries". According to Wikipedia:

"The series takes place in Toronto starting in 1895 and follows Detective William Murdoch (Yannick Bisson) of the Toronto Constabulary, who solves many of his cases using methods of detection that were unusual at the time. These methods include fingerprinting (referred to as "finger marks" in the series), blood testing, surveillance and trace evidence."

So this is a very different concept from all the other mystery series that take place in the current time period.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@catwoman500 - That's too bad! I thought that maybe it was on every morning at that hour, but that's not the case. 

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@ASTRAEA... I checked to see if Murdoch Mysteries was available on WHYY, but alas, no. Of course we can buy the DVD for $39.99, but not sure I really want to do that. Oh, well. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

You can DVR it and watch it anytime you want. Dish,Direct and most cable TV gives you this capability. Smart TV also lets you do this by searching Netflix ,Amazon video etc. This is great for bypassing commercials when you fast forward.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@catwoman500 - Makes you wonder what other good stuff we're missing, not being up regularly, in the middle of the night! Smiley Wink The upside is that this morning I caught last 1/3 of a recent episode of "Vera", which I fell asleep 1/2 way thru last Friday evening. That was on 3 - 4:30 AM!

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

@ASTRAEA...Great questions. I have no answers. This series sounds like something I'd like. My PBS station is even hit or miss with stuff they show during the week in prime time. The TV Guide magazine is hardly ever correct. I'd have to use the on screen guide to find out if what is scheduled is really going to be shown. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Why Are Some Series Only Run in the Middle of the Night?

Message 9 of 9

So the question is, "Why do they rerun other series during evening hours, instead of rotating with these other series to which they also have access?". A follow-up question would be "If a series is popular, why do they rerun the few seasons they have .. and buy other series .. when the popular series has newer seasons that they just don't broadcast in the U.S.?"

Kudos
Views
Replies