Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Re: While We Are On Britian, What Are Your Favorite Comedies?

Message 71 of 83

Benny Hill & Butterflies Are Free

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 83

I used to watch "Waiting for God" but I have not seen an episode in several years. I thought it was hilarious even before I got older.  I confess I love Hyacinth, her whole family,  neighbors and the vicar.  I used to watch "Are You Being Served" too but it is not as memorable as he other two. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 83

@ASTRAEA wrote:
@gatorgorilla wrote:

For several years I was nuts about "Keeping Up Appearances", but eventually I suffered from overload on that series.  I also enjoyed watching "As Time Goes By" for several years - it focused on characters who were more believable & likeable than Hyacinth Bucket.  It was more of a situation comedy, with mild comedic aspects.

I've watched the episodes of "Keeping up Appearances" so randomly, that I got the 2 Roses confused! I must have started watching when Mary Millar played the part, and thought she was great. Then I saw other episodes where Shirley Stelfox played Rose, and she looked older & not quite as attractive .. so I thought she was "the replacement". But Stelfox was the original, and couldn't stay on due to another acting commitment .. apparently they didn't expect "Keeping Up Appearances" to run for 5 series! Sadly, Mary Millar died of cancer at age 62, only a few years after the show ended production.

All those episodes of "Keeping Up Appearances" that I watched over and over again, and I somehow managed to miss that the character, Rose, was not the same actress throughout!  Thanks for enlightening us, Astraea.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 83

An Aussie import, but "The Paul Hogan Show" was pretty good.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 83
@gatorgorilla wrote:

For several years I was nuts about "Keeping Up Appearances", but eventually I suffered from overload on that series.  I also enjoyed watching "As Time Goes By" for several years - it focused on characters who were more believable & likeable than Hyacinth Bucket.  It was more of a situation comedy, with mild comedic aspects.

I've watched the episodes of "Keeping up Appearances" so randomly, that I got the 2 Roses confused! I must have started watching when Mary Millar played the part, and thought she was great. Then I saw other episodes where Shirley Stelfox played Rose, and she looked older & not quite as attractive .. so I thought she was "the replacement". But Stelfox was the original, and couldn't stay on due to another acting commitment .. apparently they didn't expect "Keeping Up Appearances" to run for 5 series! Sadly, Mary Millar died of cancer at age 62, only a few years after the show ended production.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 83

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 83

Benny Hill was one of my all time favorites, slapstick, silly, and completely beyond political correctness. It's a pity that I've read Benny felt somewhat a failure when he died. He made such a big contribution to UK comedy, wish he had known that.

But my all time favorite...IT'S Monty Python's Flying CIRcus!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 83

@nctarheel wrote:

Astraea,

I hope you don't mind that I created this separate thread for British comedies. Your post about British mysteries got me to thinking about British shows. I am not much for the British mysteries but I remember watching British comedies.

Most British comedy, I have a hard time understanding...... except for the physical humor.

Thus, in second place, my favorite is Benny Hill. A little too slapsticky; but, funny none the less.

My all time favorite is Mr. Bean with Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean. It is about a sad sack that always gets himself in situations and then makes the situations worse. His performances in this program are almost a mime as there is little, if any dialogue.... but you don't need any. If you get a chance to see a re-run; you'll be rolling in the floor with laughter.

Anybody else have a favorite British comedy?

OMG  love Mr. Bean  but hate Benny Hill.  Also Ab Fab  terrific show!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 83
@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...I'm not that big into comedies, but I think that "Blackadder" was hilarious, in an offbeat sort of way!....".

Ever try Fawlty Towers?

Ugh .. I found Basil Fawlty/John Cleese even more annoying that Hyacinth Bucket!

I did watch "Are You Being Served?" periodically .. not bad!

Oh, I forgot, "The Vicar of Dibley" .. that was another I'd watch once in a while.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 83

"...I'm not that big into comedies, but I think that "Blackadder" was hilarious, in an offbeat sort of way!....".

Ever try Fawlty Towers?

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE