Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: While We Are On Britian, What Are Your Favorite Comedies?

Message 1 of 86

@OscarE1968  You have no idea as to the times that my husband calls me Hyathinth   LOL.  yes those are amazing programs.

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 86

Fawltey Towers, Are You Being Served? , The Vicar of Dibley & Keeping Up Appearances

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 86

Gosh, I am so glad I found this thread.!!!!
We have been seeing British shows for over 20 years. from the Creatures big and Small, to One foot on the Grave, to Are you being Served. to practically anything British. 
I am now very lucky that I subscribe to Britbox,  and are able to see again many of the shows that PB S doesn't offer any longer.
Perot, Frost, Morse, Inspector Lewis,  Miss Marple. and so many others.
I am very biased regarding these show, I frankly see them as much superior than our own and many TV series. 
One thing that I have always enjoyed, is the fact that they are not afraid to put old people in their characters, They are not afraid of age as we seem to be
So Between Father Brown, Downtonw Abby  and so  m any amazing series, I enjoy watching Tv. and laughing at British humor which is so much on the mark.

no name
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 86

The Mighty Boosh

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 86

Reggie Perrin on Acorn.  Alas, it only lasted 2 seasons.

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 86

@km8719 wrote:

I haven't seen them in the thread but my favorites were Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. They were both comedies from the 1980s about Government and Politics in Britain. My wife and I happened to be living in Britain when the former was first aired so we had some first hand knowledge of the political climate and why these were hilarious. I'm a bit of a political junkie anyway. I do think they transfer well to the US audience because so many of the episode topics translate to what happens in our Government too. Very good acting

If you were to come up with a show about our government, it would have to be on Cable due to the R rating.

Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 86

@ls1873 wrote:

Monty Python's Flying Circus,Benny Hill Show,Fawlty Towers,Mr. Bean & Are You Being Served? just about covers it

I agree but would add To the Manor Born and Good Neighbors. Rumpole of the Baily was another one of the great Britsh Comdyies. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 86

Rumpole of the Bailey

and Mr Bean 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Periodic Contributor

Message 9 of 86
Fawlty towers-my all time favorite
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 86

@PattyDiane wrote:

I've discovered a series on Hulu that has me actually laughing out loud.  It's called "Jeeves & Wooster", is based on the stories of P.G. Wodehouse and stars a very young Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  It reminds me of the old 1930/40's movies with Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn or Myrna Loy.  As a bonus, several of the episodes has music by Hugh Laurie and others.

So glad you discovered the great series of "Jeeves & Wooster", PattyDiane.  Those shows really tickled me!  And that's where I discovered the priceless "team" of Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie.

While in college, I read all of Wodehouse's "Jeeves & Wooster" tales simply for the fun of it.  Smiley Happy

Yes,  it's easy to understand why this series reminds you of those old movies.  Thanks for mentioning...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.