Introducing the Problem-Solving Strategy Challenge, the latest interactive brain exercise from Staying Sharp! Get started now.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: While We Are On Britian, What Are Your Favorite Comedies?

Message 1 of 82

Reggie Perrin on Acorn.  Alas, it only lasted 2 seasons.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 82

@km8719 wrote:

I haven't seen them in the thread but my favorites were Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. They were both comedies from the 1980s about Government and Politics in Britain. My wife and I happened to be living in Britain when the former was first aired so we had some first hand knowledge of the political climate and why these were hilarious. I'm a bit of a political junkie anyway. I do think they transfer well to the US audience because so many of the episode topics translate to what happens in our Government too. Very good acting

If you were to come up with a show about our government, it would have to be on Cable due to the R rating.

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 82

@ls1873 wrote:

Monty Python's Flying Circus,Benny Hill Show,Fawlty Towers,Mr. Bean & Are You Being Served? just about covers it

I agree but would add To the Manor Born and Good Neighbors. Rumpole of the Baily was another one of the great Britsh Comdyies. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 82

Rumpole of the Bailey

and Mr Bean 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 82
Fawlty towers-my all time favorite
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 82

@PattyDiane wrote:

I've discovered a series on Hulu that has me actually laughing out loud.  It's called "Jeeves & Wooster", is based on the stories of P.G. Wodehouse and stars a very young Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  It reminds me of the old 1930/40's movies with Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn or Myrna Loy.  As a bonus, several of the episodes has music by Hugh Laurie and others.

So glad you discovered the great series of "Jeeves & Wooster", PattyDiane.  Those shows really tickled me!  And that's where I discovered the priceless "team" of Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie.

While in college, I read all of Wodehouse's "Jeeves & Wooster" tales simply for the fun of it.  Smiley Happy

Yes,  it's easy to understand why this series reminds you of those old movies.  Thanks for mentioning...

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 82

glad you've found them! we had them in Seattle years back! still available at library!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 82

I've discovered a series on Hulu that has me actually laughing out loud.  It's called "Jeeves & Wooster", is based on the stories of P.G. Wodehouse and stars a very young Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  It reminds me of the old 1930/40's movies with Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn or Myrna Loy.  As a bonus, several of the episodes has music by Hugh Laurie and others.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 82

Monty Python's Flying Circus,Benny Hill Show,Fawlty Towers,Mr. Bean & Are You Being Served? just about covers it

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 82

I like Keeping up appearances and the Vicar of Dibley, To the Manor born, but the very best of all is Doc Martin

Kudos
Views