Honored Social Butterfly

While We Are On Britian, What Are Your Favorite Comedies?

Astraea,

I hope you don't mind that I created this separate thread for British comedies. Your post about British mysteries got me to thinking about British shows. I am not much for the British mysteries but I remember watching British comedies.

Most British comedy, I have a hard time understanding...... except for the physical humor.

Thus, in second place, my favorite is Benny Hill. A little too slapsticky; but, funny none the less.

My all time favorite is Mr. Bean with Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean. It is about a sad sack that always gets himself in situations and then makes the situations worse. His performances in this program are almost a mime as there is little, if any dialogue.... but you don't need any. If you get a chance to see a re-run; you'll be rolling in the floor with laughter.

Anybody else have a favorite British comedy?

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Trusted Contributor

My favorite Brit comedy was "Are you being served?"  Everyone from the young Mr. Grace, (who was always getting too familiar with his cute nurse) to the entire department-store clerical staff, who usually kept us in stitches throughout the program.  I was very sad when they announced the ending of that series-it was a gem!

Gold Conversationalist

Fawltey Towers, Are You Being Served? , The Vicar of Dibley & Keeping Up Appearances

Honored Social Butterfly

@OscarE1968  You have no idea as to the times that my husband calls me Hyathinth   LOL.  yes those are amazing programs.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

The Mighty Boosh

Periodic Contributor

Fawlty towers-my all time favorite
Honored Social Butterfly

Rumpole of the Bailey

and Mr Bean 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

I like Keeping up appearances and the Vicar of Dibley, To the Manor born, but the very best of all is Doc Martin

Honored Social Butterfly

Monty Python's Flying Circus,Benny Hill Show,Fawlty Towers,Mr. Bean & Are You Being Served? just about covers it

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

@ls1873 wrote:

Monty Python's Flying Circus,Benny Hill Show,Fawlty Towers,Mr. Bean & Are You Being Served? just about covers it

I agree but would add To the Manor Born and Good Neighbors. Rumpole of the Baily was another one of the great Britsh Comdyies. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I've discovered a series on Hulu that has me actually laughing out loud.  It's called "Jeeves & Wooster", is based on the stories of P.G. Wodehouse and stars a very young Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  It reminds me of the old 1930/40's movies with Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn or Myrna Loy.  As a bonus, several of the episodes has music by Hugh Laurie and others.

Honored Social Butterfly

@PattyDiane wrote:

I've discovered a series on Hulu that has me actually laughing out loud.  It's called "Jeeves & Wooster", is based on the stories of P.G. Wodehouse and stars a very young Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.  It reminds me of the old 1930/40's movies with Cary Grant/Katherine Hepburn or Myrna Loy.  As a bonus, several of the episodes has music by Hugh Laurie and others.

So glad you discovered the great series of "Jeeves & Wooster", PattyDiane.  Those shows really tickled me!  And that's where I discovered the priceless "team" of Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie.

While in college, I read all of Wodehouse's "Jeeves & Wooster" tales simply for the fun of it.  Smiley Happy

Yes,  it's easy to understand why this series reminds you of those old movies.  Thanks for mentioning...

Regular Contributor

glad you've found them! we had them in Seattle years back! still available at library!

Contributor

I always get a laugh watching "Waiting for God"
Contributor

My absolute favorite British comedies are "Are You Being Served" and "The Viccor of Dibley".  I wish I could get them on PBS again.  The characters are great and extremely funny.

Contributor

Many of the programs I loved are no longer on the tube but one of my faves is As Time Goes By as for a close runner up of the newbies it would have to be Vicious!

Contributor

Many of the shows that I loved are no longer on the tube but for now I must say that  As Time Goes By is my favorite of the oldies but Vicious is a close runner up!

Contributor

Do not much like Atkinson. Keeping Up Appearances, and Doc Martin are ok, but my favorites are: Good Neighbors (aka The Good Life), To the Manor Born, Mapp and Lucia, Yes Minister and the sequel Yes Prime Minister, One Foot in the Grave, Waiting for God, As Time Goes By, Chef, and a few others that are not coming to mind. I love such Brit Coms.

Gold Conversationalist

My favorite is Mr. Bean!
Periodic Contributor

The absolute winner has to be: "Are you being Served".  It took place in a London Department store.  Each actor was unique, from Mr. Humphreys, to Mrs. Slocum, to Captain Peacock, to Mr. Grainger (who could imitate Winston Churchill 100%), to Young Mr. Grace (who was probably ninety), etc. etc.  If you enjoy British humor, like I do, then try to see some episodes.

Periodic Contributor

On British comedies : I will go along with all the Black Adders plus "The Young Ones"," Good Neighbors"," The Inbetweeners", "To the Manor Born" and can't forget " Abfab" or " Man About the House"  and "Robin's Nest" and " George and Mildred".

Regular Contributor

We have two comedies that we really enjoyed. The first one is Keeping Up Appearances. It could be so funny with Mrs. Bucket (she pronounced it Bouquet) and her poor henpecked husband Richard. Everyone always tried to avoid her.

The second show we watched was Are You Being Served. They had some pretty hilarious situations in the department store.

We still watch the reruns.
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

His costumes and his skits and jokes were just to much. He put me in histerics many times. Can you imagine a guy like Benny Hill being made up to play Farah Fawcett for a parody on Charlie's AAngels.
Conversationalist

Doctor in the House.

Contributor

There are SO many ...

As Time Goes By
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served?
Blackadder
Mr. Bean
Good Neighbors
Fawlty Towers
Posh Nosh
Absolutely Fabulous
Regular Contributor

what years was Posh Nosh in US? don't know it at all-Saw some repeats in Australia when I was visiting every 4 yrs-they get them before US actually...

Contributor

I have seen Allo Allo? a couple times and love it. Not sure of the spelling but it means Hello Hello.

Best to watch from the beginning, it can be confusing if you just jump in. 

Regular Contributor

ELLO ELLO! that was a corker! the french policeman speaking fractured English! we need those back again!

Periodic Contributor

My current favorite is “Last of the Summer Wine”. When Compo (Bill Owen) died it was the end of an era. The Mr. Owen was died from cancer the next several shows were a memorial to him; something, never done on a comedy. If you haven’t watched it you should.

Contributor

We love The Good Life (in the U.S., it was called Good Neighbors) from the 1970s.  Also Are You Being Served?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg