Honored Social Butterfly

Which American TV series do you consider the 'best'?

Just curious about what series people like, strictly American to narrow it down. I was thinking of this as we just finished watching the conclusion of  The Good Wife. IMHO, it's one of the best acted, and best dialog, of any series I've ever seen.

I would also nominate The West Wing, Homicide: Life on the Street, Murder One, Law and Order, and Damages.

We watch very little American TV, so curious what others think were great series.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

House

The Mentalist

Perception 

Big Bang Theory

Lou Grant was a great tv series in the 1980s 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Anything produced by Dick Wolf

0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

Freddy's Nightmares

Horror comedies are the best.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

M*A*S*H, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Judge Judy I wouldn't miss. And the original Magnum PI.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Fawlty Towers

0 Kudos
Contributor

This is Us

0 Kudos
Contributor

Way to hard to pick just one.  My favorite three, in no particular order, are Shaded of Blue, Blacklist and This is Us.

Periodic Contributor

Blue Bloods

Bronze Conversationalist

Seinfeld

Contributor

The Americans

Contributor

There are so many TV Shows I have enjoyed over the years but the one that stands out to me is M*A*S*H. It was and still is so enjoyable to watch.  I enjoy The Nanny and Frazier and Love Boat from the past.  Today I never miss Nashville and The Curse of Oak Island.  I miss American Idol!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

I love MASH because it was so funny and I was in a MASH unit in the Army from 1968 to 1970. The movie cracked me up too. Gunsmoke was another all time favorite. 

M.A.S.H.

I love the Honeymooners.  The show was so good that they essentially copied it for the Flintstones cartoon show.  I think that the "$99,000 Answer" episode is the single funniest episode of any television show I've ever seen.

Contributor

I loved the show The West Wing -- I felt it was superbly written, and gave interesting insight as to how the White House works.  I own the entire 7-season set!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Peyton Place (long time ago), Rich Man Poor Man, Currently: Blue Bloods, Chicago Fire, Law & Order SUV, Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers

Super Contributor

Can't find the book "Peyton Place."  Have looked in used bookstores.  Probaby Amazon.  "Peyton Place" then was what "Desperate Housewives" is now.

Honored Social Butterfly

@vw3537 wrote:

Peyton Place (long time ago), Rich Man Poor Man, Currently: Blue Bloods, Chicago Fire, Law & Order SUV, Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers

Rich Man Poor Man (1976) was an excellent mini-series, and one of the early ones to popularize the format on American TV. Some other popular American mini-series that followed - Roots (1977), Centennial (1978-79), The Thornbirds (1983), North & South (1985-1994), Lonesome Dove (1989) to name a few.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Contributor

Over ALL time? Just one? Wow, that is difficult.  Also, for what stage of my life? As a young child, I would say Mister Rogers Nieghborhood and Captain Kangaroo, as a Pre-Teen, Heidi Wild Wild West,  Man From Uncle and Gilligan's Island. As a teen, Star Trek,The Avengers, Perry Mason reruns with an honorable mention for a Brit series known as UFO. And as an Adult, well, still Star Trek, MASH,Home Improvement, Perry Mason TV movies, The Bob Newhart Show (Both series), Doctor Who and Law and Order.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The Flying Nun , Bewitch and The Golden Girls.  How can you go wrong. Funny and you can watch repeat s and still chuckle!

0 Kudos

Babylon 5, Laugh-In, Ed Sullivan, Red Skelton, etc.
Kudos
Views
Contributor

STAR TREK: ALL OF THEM 

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

The Flying Nun , Bewitch and The Golden Girls. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

The Sopranos, Sex & The City, and NCIS are three all time favorites.

0 Kudos
Contributor

LAUGH-IN was the best

Contributor

The very best series on tv right now is This is Us.  I wish there were more like this one on tv today!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I love all listed, but have to say will miss Hell on Wheels most!

Also, ALWAYS watch HUMANS (upside down A); love, love love this show, actors and thought-line!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Bronze Conversationalist

Hell On Wheels was my favorite show of all time. The Good Wife was next. Now I can't miss Crown of Throns. Their are and have been so many shows I enjoyed it is hard to praise just one as the best . I have watched Gunsmoke, PerryMason, StarTreck,Hawaii 5 Oh, to Antique Roadshow just to name a few. Every time I read someone's post I remember another show I liked. At 72 years of age,just too many to remember. 

Blue bloods is the best👍

0 Kudos