Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you remember most about Walter Cronkite's coverage of the Apollo 11 mission?

Did you watch along when Commander Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon in 1969? What do you remember most about Walter Cronkite's coverage of the Apollo 11 mission?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I remember getting bored with the picture quality, and I was 14.  But we hung in there, the whole family...that's 6 kids and my parents in our small living room with one couch and one chair.  We kids were used to sitting on the floor in those days.  We all knew that Apollo 11 was the most exciting thing to happen in our lifetime...I mean, what kid isn't curious about the moon and the planets?  Finally, Walter Cronkite....America's favorite and most trusted newsman...what's not to like?

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

At 7-years-old I remember sitting on the couch with my dad and fighting hard to stay awake. I remember a black and white TV that was a piece of furniture. Young as I was I knew this was a big deal. I knew it was huge.

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Trusted Social Butterfly

I was 21 at the time. My mother and I watched the TV as she said she couldn't ever imagine a moon landing. I went outside at night and looked up at the moon, thinking that this was a new milestone in our civilization. 

Age 9, having a blast playing in someone's backyard in a game.  I do not remember the sport.  All I remember is being annoyed that they stopped the game and dragged us into their living room, but later grateful for that.  Later that week, I remember my father stunned that it happened at all.

That evening, looking up into the night sky, I wondered why I couldn't see the US flag, or small specks (the astronauts) on the surface of the moon.  Only a child could imagine such.  I crwaled into bed thinking that someday we might all be traveling to the moon.

I remember we got to watch TV in school. It was a small black and white tv with rabbit ears. It was a memorable experience.

Periodic Contributor

apollo_11_bu_crew_lovell_haise_lm_alt_test_mar_20_1969_ap11-69-h-548hr.jpg

I remember thinking "all the way up there?" I was 11 so it was amazing to me someone could fly that high, LOL. My Dad laughed when I asked him how they could fly a plane all the way there. It was amazing and bewildering to watch.

Diane, the Plant Whisperer
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, I was a little out of it at a local discotheque with loud music accompanying the broadcast; however, I believe I remember Cronkite taking off his glasses and wiping away a tear.

It was the second time I remember him doing that.

The first time was, of course, when he announced President Kennedy had died.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Community Manager
Community Manager

@nctarheel, what a great description of place and time. That must've been an epic night out!

0 Kudos

Crying