Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist

Re: What do you remember most about Walter Cronkite's coverage of the Apollo 11 mission?

Message 1 of 10

At 7-years-old I remember sitting on the couch with my dad and fighting hard to stay awake. I remember a black and white TV that was a piece of furniture. Young as I was I knew this was a big deal. I knew it was huge.

91 Days
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What do you remember most about Walter Cronkite's coverage of the Apollo 11 mission?

Message 2 of 10

I was 21 at the time. My mother and I watched the TV as she said she couldn't ever imagine a moon landing. I went outside at night and looked up at the moon, thinking that this was a new milestone in our civilization. 

Highlighted

Message 3 of 10

Age 9, having a blast playing in someone's backyard in a game.  I do not remember the sport.  All I remember is being annoyed that they stopped the game and dragged us into their living room, but later grateful for that.  Later that week, I remember my father stunned that it happened at all.

Highlighted

Message 4 of 10

That evening, looking up into the night sky, I wondered why I couldn't see the US flag, or small specks (the astronauts) on the surface of the moon.  Only a child could imagine such.  I crwaled into bed thinking that someday we might all be traveling to the moon.

Highlighted

Message 5 of 10

I remember we got to watch TV in school. It was a small black and white tv with rabbit ears. It was a memorable experience.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 6 of 10

apollo_11_bu_crew_lovell_haise_lm_alt_test_mar_20_1969_ap11-69-h-548hr.jpg

I remember thinking "all the way up there?" I was 11 so it was amazing to me someone could fly that high, LOL. My Dad laughed when I asked him how they could fly a plane all the way there. It was amazing and bewildering to watch.

Diane, the Plant Whisperer
Highlighted

Message 7 of 10

Crying

Highlighted
Community Manager

Message 8 of 10

@nctarheel, what a great description of place and time. That must've been an epic night out!

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 10

Well, I was a little out of it at a local discotheque with loud music accompanying the broadcast; however, I believe I remember Cronkite taking off his glasses and wiping away a tear.

It was the second time I remember him doing that.

The first time was, of course, when he announced President Kennedy had died.

Highlighted
Community Manager

What do you remember most about Walter Cronkite's coverage of the Apollo 11 mission?

Message 10 of 10

Did you watch along when Commander Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon in 1969? What do you remember most about Walter Cronkite's coverage of the Apollo 11 mission?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!