What's a 'skimmer scam?' Find out on AARP Live. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Travel & Food Shows .. Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Message 1 of 7

I watched a couple of episodes of his show on Netflix and stopped because I rather listen to a non-chef talk about food than listen to a chef talk about non-food.  My favorite is Phil Rosenthal.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - Over the years, I've unfortunately known several married men who took their own lives at work, when a divorce & other complications seemed to overwhelm them. More recently, one of my childhood BFFs took her own life, and I was totally stunned. She was a successful professional, and seemed to have an enviable life. Unfortunately I didn't know her current circle of friends, and had no way of finding out what happened, for closure. Even 5 years later, I still can't understand what happened.

Some things are just not “understandable.  Depression is called a serious mental health condition and seems to be beyond what most of us can really comprehend.  Very sad!  Esp the effect on the loved ones!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@nyadrn - Over the years, I've unfortunately known several married men who took their own lives at work, when a divorce & other complications seemed to overwhelm them. More recently, one of my childhood BFFs took her own life, and I was totally stunned. She was a successful professional, and seemed to have an enviable life. Unfortunately I didn't know her current circle of friends, and had no way of finding out what happened, for closure. Even 5 years later, I still can't understand what happened.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Good topic @ASTRAEA

I do watch these shows on and off and have enjoyed watching both Andrew And Anthony Bourdain.  

It is is always a shock to me when this happens.  I cannot understand but feel very sorry for his families.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

In an interview of Anthony Bourdain by Dave Davies, Bourdain said:
"Generally speaking, if it's, like, a street food stall that's busy, even if it looks dirty as hell, if there are a lot of locals there, they're eating, and they're happy, my crew will always eat at that place. You know, eating a Caesar salad at the major chain hotel in, you know, Central Africa or the Middle East, these are - that's where you run into trouble stomach-wise, generally."

COMIDA TÍPICA - 10/27/03
http://rec.travel.latin-america.narkive.com/rMzA14OF/comida-tipica

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Bourdain's ability to correlate a food's origin with the culture that originated it was a skill that no other food celebrity had. That is what made his shows so interesting and sometimes controversial.

It is such a shock because he had been through so much strife in his early life like addiction to heroin and beat the addiction. For him to be as successful as he was was almost a miracle.

But, as all the reporters are reporting this morning, depression doesn't care about success, demographics, income or prior issues.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Travel & Food Shows .. Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Message 7 of 7

I always preferred Andrew Zimmern over Anthony Bourdain, when it came to travel/food series .. but I was shocked to read that Bourdain commit suicide.

Are you a fan of these types of shows .. have a favorite TV host?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies