Honored Social Butterfly

The Voice. Season 15. 2018

Adam Blake Kelly and Jennifer are back for season 15

Are you watching?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly

I also heard Reagan perform last night, and I just wasn't impressed. 

Sometimes when it gets down to this point, you wonder how some of the contestants are still around, while seemingly better singers were eliminated weeks ago.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I also heard Reagan perform last night, and I just wasn't impressed. 

Sometimes when it gets down to this point, you wonder how some of the contestants are still around, while seemingly better singers were eliminated weeks ago.

You cannot really judge based on one performance but you can be eliminated by one. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Was last night's show just totally bizarre, or what???  I couldn't believe the way Adam through DeAndre under the bus, just to save Reagan who was ill and unable to perform. I just felt so badly for him  - just heartbreaking, and you could see the disappointment in his eyes. It was so good to hear Kelly speak up for DeAndre since his coach would not. She did the right thing, good for her!

The fact that a singer can get voted through without performing is so unfair, and the show is to blame for that. Unfortunate though it may be, if a singer cannot perform, he/she should be withdrawn from competition. 

I don't mean to trash Adam, but I do believe that he is somewhat responsible for his team ending up in the bottom two. DeAndre did not look comfortable singing the Bruno Mars song on Monday, yet last night, he was spot-on perfect with the song he chose for the twitter save. Reagan's illness may have been a factor in her performance Monday evening, but I still believe the song choice was too big for her voice. She has a nice voice, and can sing well, but she is not and never will be a power vocalist like Kennedy or others.

With all of that said, I was happy to see the others voted through to the semi-finals. What a nice surprise that Chris lead the Apple streaming! He did pick a good song. All of the girls from Team JHud and Team Kelly made it through once again. Next week will be a different story when they go from 8 to 4. 

Any predictions for the finals? 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta@ASTRAEA@catwoman500

Boy what a mess.

Deandre has been my favorite from the start.

The Voice should have made a decision about Reagan before the live show.  If she could not perform then she should have been removed, but showing her sitting in her robe was dumb.  So many mean social media comments about how she didn't look sick and noone even knows what was wrong.    I don't like how Adam handled it but I think that he was stuck in a bad place ..  and I think he tried to support Reagan but it came out badly.  DeAndre was good.. his voice is great and with the right song choices I think things would be different.  He got a bad deal.

I think they should do a do over  ...  bring back all three and let them perform again for the vote but I doubt they will.  I would rather see that than the endless list of guest performances that imho add very little to the show.  I want to see more of the contestants!

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - I kind of stopped watching. What I enjoy most are the blind auditions; after that, it becomes "people politics," and more about the coaches, mentors & the gimick-du-jour, than about performers' talent. I don't need to see the coaches perform their latest song (free publicity), or other groups for that matter .. I just want to see the contestants.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - I kind of stopped watching. What I enjoy most are the blind auditions; after that, it becomes "people politics," and more about the coaches, mentors & the gimick-du-jour, than about performers' talent. I don't need to see the coaches perform their latest song (free publicity), or other groups for that matter .. I just want to see the contestants.

I kind of agree.  Voting is all dependant on who watches the show and many contestants wih great potential get voted off.

I would like to see a where are they now for both the past winners and some of the other real talents. Did the show help them?  

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - My guess, for both "American Idol" and "The Voice", is that 99% of the contestants* walk away with nothing more than a good story to tell, and continue to use their talent in local semi-professional musical productions, and tiny performance venues. Of the remaining 1%, a mere handful become mega stars like Carry Underwood, Kelly Clarkson & Jennifer Hudson. The rest of that 1% do wind up with solid careers in the music industry, but they're not mega stars winning more than 1 or 2 awards: Adam Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Kelly Pickler, etc.

* I'm defining "Contestants" as those applicants who actually make the cut to audition for the judges/coaches, which may only be 10% of all the applicants .. or even fewer.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - My guess, for both "American Idol" and "The Voice", is that 99% of the contestants* walk away with nothing more than a good story to tell, and continue to use their talent in local semi-professional musical productions, and tiny performance venues. Of the remaining 1%, a mere handful become mega stars like Carry Underwood, Kelly Clarkson & Jennifer Hudson. The rest of that 1% do wind up with solid careers in the music industry, but they're not mega stars winning more than 1 or 2 awards: Adam Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Kelly Pickler, etc.

* I'm defining "Contestants" as those applicants who actually make the cut to audition for the judges/coaches, which may only be 10% of all the applicants .. or even fewer.

I think Jordan Smith could be in that 1%

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Smith_(musician)

Thats not such such a great result

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - I may have mentioned that one of my cousins' children is very talented musically. He was in all of his H.S. plays, and several choruses .. one of which traveled around Europe performing summers. He took a music/vocal program in college, and is about to graduate next spring. During one of the holiday family dinners, we asked him about auditioning for "AI" or "The Voice", and he said that "good" just wasn't enough, for shows like that, and you couldn't depend on "hitting it big" enough to support yourself. So he's also graduating with a teaching certificate! I went to his senior recital a few weeks ago; none of what the students had to do, would have lent itself to a pop music competition. I'd be happy to see him perform in regional theater musicals; some of them have excellent voices!

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - I may have mentioned that one of my cousins' children is very talented musically. He was in all of his H.S. plays, and several choruses .. one of which traveled around Europe performing summers. He took a music/vocal program in college, and is about to graduate next spring. During one of the holiday family dinners, we asked him about auditioning for "AI" or "The Voice", and he said that "good" just wasn't enough, for shows like that, and you couldn't depend on "hitting it big" enough to support yourself. So he's also graduating with a teaching certificate! I went to his senior recital a few weeks ago; none of what the students had to do, would have lent itself to a pop music competition. I'd be happy to see him perform in regional theater musicals; some of them have excellent voices!

That you Astraea for the insight.   There are many other ways in which to earn a living in the world of music.  I am not sure how the contestants that are part of this show would relate.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - Based on many of the auditions on "American Idol", those kids don't have a realistic assessment of their own talent (or lack thereof), and certainly not within the context of the industry & competition. If their families & friends are "supporting their dreams", they're just as unrealistic as the contestants are, and in the long run aren't doing them any favors! 

Others genuinely have a lot of talent, but the competition is fierce, on these shows & even moreso in the real world, so while it's great if they're optimistic & have support at home, but it's probably wise for everyone to have a "plan B".

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, the show practically ignored that anything happened last week, save a brief mention by Adam that "everything's cool" now. Ooooookaaaay . . . .

All the performances on the Monday night show were very well done, and the case could be made for any of them to go to the finals. I enjoyed all of the duets and everyone seemed well matched. I especially liked Chris and Sarah Grace with Jumping Jack Flash / Chain of Fools. I also liked Chris singing Can't You See, and Chevel's cover of Blue was amazing! 

It was hard to watch the cuts made last night. I was holding my breath for Kennedy to get the Twitter vote, and she made it!  (I had voted for my favorites - Kennedy, Chris, and Chevel).

Interesting that three are considered "country" artists and all made it through. Chevel and Kirk are definitely traditional country, but I think Chris is more folk/rock/rockabilly than country. That leaves Kennedy as the only pop singer. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta - When Casi Joy was on The Voice a few seasons ago, I became something of an expert, comparing different renditions of Bill Mack's "Blue". I was shocked at the time, that Patsy Cline - who I used to think did it fabulously - wasn't as good as Leann Rimes or Casi Joy.

Well, I listened to Chevel Shepard, and she can't hold a candle to any of them, if only because she's not even close to pitch-perfect. I'd like to see them sing with a minimum of backup orchestration, because it would be a lot more difficult to hide the times a singer doesn't quite reach the right notes. Make the comparison yourself:

Chevel Shepard

Casi Joy

Leann Rimes

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA - All three versions are different. Personally, I think Patsy Cline set the standard. Yodeling is something of a unique talent anyway, not just anyone can do it. Chevel has a very distinctive yodel in the way her voice breaks. Her only problem was that she seemed to be running out of air as she got to the end of a phrase in a couple of places. I don't compare her to anyone else, just that she did a really good job, and she's only 16. As her voice matures, and as she keeps working at it, she should get better with controling the air supply, etc. Reviewers gave her really high marks, and predicted her for the finals. Also, I noticed that the comments on youtube were all very positive. I think it's okay that we like different people for different reasons. 

Recognized Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

I'm trying to catching up on all of your posts. I have been watching, but a bit disappointed since my top 3: DeAndre, Kymberli, and MaKenzie have been eliminated. I have enjoyed Kennedy from the beginning, so now she is my top of the top with Kirk next. I thought Reagan was awful in the Twitter sing-off Tuesday. MaKenzie advanced to being my favorite of all this season.

I did see that John Legend will take Jennifer's place in the coach position for next season along with Kelly, Adam, and Blake.

I still like the show, but like some of you, I'm getting tired of them trying to throw in extra features. I thought the "comeback" thing was unnecessary. I'd like it if the coaches had a chance to review those artists not chosen and pick one for their team, or even bring back one that had been eliminated from their own or another coach's team. I think that happened before (?) N.

Honored Social Butterfly

The season 15 finale has come and gone. So who will win the prize?

Kennedy Holmes was aaawwwwsooommmee!!!.But will there be enough split in the country vote for her to win? She is far and away the best vocalist on the show, and she is also the best entertainer. She is the real deal, and the one who deserves to win. So amazing for a 13-turned-14-year-old! I'm rooting for her all the way.

That said, Kirk Jay seems to hold the advantage among the country artists, though I don't think he's that good of a singer. He ran flat all night. Chevel appears to be giving him a run for the money. She performed well enough. Chris is an outlier, but can't rule him out. He sings well, plays well, has good song selections, but lacks showmanship needed to really engage the audience.

So, fingers crossed for Kennedy.

Hi, YES!!!! Kennedy deserves the win! The country vote could jinx that for sure, but even though I'm a country fan, I so want Kennedy to win. She's always been one of my favorites. Still can't believe she is that young; she is such a presence and has command of it all.

@MaVolta...You are so right about Kirk being flat last night.

Chris Kroeze has always been OK with me, but never at the top, top for me. I think it may be Kennedy, Chevel, Chris, and then Kirk.

I also loved Jennifer and Kennedy's duet last night. Powerful!!!! N.

Bummer!

Kennedy in 4th place? That sure didn't turn out the way I thought it would. Chevel is adorable and she will bring a little POP to traditional country music, but for a total package, Kennedy would have had it over all of them.

I did enjoy the musical presentations last night, but for the life of me...it must be old age...What in the world was the act with the one guy wearing a can on his head? Something called Marshmello and Bastille???? Was that supposed to be a marshmallow on his head? WHY?

After that I should have gone to the car and turned on the Hallmark Christmas music station to bring me back to normal. Sheesh!

Merry Christmas!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 -  Yeah, that was a bummer for Kennedy to end up in 4th place. I was really surprised to see Chevel and Chris as the final two. At that point, I was happy for either of them to win. Kelly's expression after they called Kirk for 3rd place was priceless! It's as if she just realized her girl might be the one, and sure enough!

It was great to see the Doobie Brothers performing with Chris. John Legend and Esperanza Spalding with Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas was also very nice. I enjoyed all of the "bring-back" artists' performances. They were waaaaay better than all the pop stars. But the best of show was Kelly and Jennifer and their powerful rendition of O Holy Night. Wow! They should record that together.

As for marshmellow man (yep, a marshmellow head), Panic!, and Halsey - they can put them all back in the box as far as I'm concerned -  didn't care for any of them. Guess the kids like them.

Look forward to seeing John Legend as a coach next season. I bet he will do really well as a mentor and coach. It's funny, because Legend was somewhat dragged into the Adam / DeAndre controversy on Twitter because DeAndre sang his song for the Twitter save. Legend inquired as to what was going on with his name coming up. He said that DeAndre sang it (his song) very well, and he should have performed it on Monday because it fit his voice better than the Bruno Mars song. Here, here! But that's all water under the bridge. It was nice to see DeAndre on stage again last night.

Until next year . . . Peace!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta @catwoman500

Thank you both for your comments about the finale and all through the season. 

I did did not watch the finale and I was shocked that Kennedy did not win.  

This is has been a disappointing season for me for lots of reasons. 

I didn’t like all the controversy. This is supposed to be fun.   I hope next season will be better. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - Based on what I've read about young people these days, they have short attention spans & constantly need new stimulation, to remain interested. That's why shows like "The Voice" are constantly making changes to the way they do things, and their line up of coaches & mentors. It wouldn't surprise me if they do focus groups with young participants, to get feedback on the coaches & mentors, and ask for input on potential new ones.

@ASTRAEA...Yes that makes sense. It's so often that one of the younger artists, wins. The teen voters are more into the Tweets and the social media hoopla and actually can make things happen even if the younger artist isn't the best performer. I always think back to that one season of AI and how the kids kept voting for Sanjaya...was that his name? OMG! That was almost scary to think he would win the whole thing.  Cat LOL N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 - And then there was William Hung, the young Korean engineering student, who gained notoriety on American Idol in 2004, with his "She Bangs." He was so bad, he was popular just for that!

@ASTRAEA...yes, and they still pull William Hung out of the woodwork every once in a while! Cat LOL

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've been checking entertainment news, and so far, I have seen no official response from The Voice or Adam. In view of the media backlash this has caused, one has to wonder what happen on Monday evening. Surely Carson Daly will be tasked with some response on behalf of the show. And what about Adam? Will he try to make amends with disgruntled fans? Whatever they say cannot compensate for the damage done.

I'd think that it should cause some concern for Adam as to how anyone would trust him as a coach moving forward. I can't see a do-over happening. I mean, why would DeAndre want to come back on the show after all of that? I wouldn't do it.

According to one article, there was no "official" rule in place about the ability of a singer to perform, so they actually made this up on the fly. In any other competition, you either show up and do your best under the circumstances, or withdraw. It should have been a no-brainer. I also wonder if Adam actually pushed producers to rule this way. I'm inclined to think so.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

I've been checking entertainment news, and so far, I have seen no official response from The Voice or Adam. In view of the media backlash this has caused, one has to wonder what happen on Monday evening. Surely Carson Daly will be tasked with some response on behalf of the show. And what about Adam? Will he try to make amends with disgruntled fans? Whatever they say cannot compensate for the damage done.

I'd think that it should cause some concern for Adam as to how anyone would trust him as a coach moving forward. I can't see a do-over happening. I mean, why would DeAndre want to come back on the show after all of that? I wouldn't do it.

According to one article, there was no "official" rule in place about the ability of a singer to perform, so they actually made this up on the fly. In any other competition, you either show up and do your best under the circumstances, or withdraw. It should have been a no-brainer. I also wonder if Adam actually pushed producers to rule this way. I'm inclined to think so.

Well there is no going back.  Actually in past seasons they have brought back artists. That could happen I guess.  Otherwise these coaches all have contracts so not sure what will happen.  I think I am getting to the end of watching.  I don’t like a lot of what happens. 

I think DeAndre would have done better if he didn’t try to kill every song to compete with the power girls. That is not the only kind of music. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - General comment about reality competitions - Over the years, there have been incidents where a contestant was genuinely ill, or even injured during the competition (those darn sharp knives on "Top Chef", for example). But in those incidents there was no question that they genuinely couldn't participate. To be honest, I don't remember each case, or how it was handled by each show.

Although we may see one "round" of competion on a weekly baisis, in reality except for times when there's viewer voting in real time, several "rounds" may actually be filmed back-to-back, the same day or in a few days in a row. So being sick or injured, and unable to compete for 3+ days, may actually represent being absent on shows that are broadcast over a 3+ week period, which would force the contestant to withdraw. But if a contestant had an injury/illness during a period when they actually only filmed once a week, and they were able to compete except for the 1 time, the show might try to find a way to keep them in the competition .. especially if it were down to the final 6 or fewer contestants.

Honored Social Butterfly

Looks like twitter outrage being covered all over the media.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/adam-levine-throws-deandre-nico-bus-reagan-strange-sits-instant-...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/12/05/shame-adam-levine-voice-fans-are-furiou...

https://tvline.com/2018/12/04/adam-levine-voice-controversy-deandre-nico-reagan-strange/

Comments at the bottom of the story are typical of what exploded on twitter.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ASTRAEA - Yes, I think that was Reagan's weakest performance. The song was just too big for her voice to carry. 

Checked itunes, and Sarah Grace is at #3. Kirk is the only other performer in the itunes top ten this week. However, we can't see what they are streaming on Apple music.