You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Safe Driving course! Use code BELLS to save 25 percent now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Voice. Season 15. 2018

Message 11 of 82

@MaVolta@ASTRAEA@catwoman500

Boy what a mess.

Deandre has been my favorite from the start.

The Voice should have made a decision about Reagan before the live show.  If she could not perform then she should have been removed, but showing her sitting in her robe was dumb.  So many mean social media comments about how she didn't look sick and noone even knows what was wrong.    I don't like how Adam handled it but I think that he was stuck in a bad place ..  and I think he tried to support Reagan but it came out badly.  DeAndre was good.. his voice is great and with the right song choices I think things would be different.  He got a bad deal.

I think they should do a do over  ...  bring back all three and let them perform again for the vote but I doubt they will.  I would rather see that than the endless list of guest performances that imho add very little to the show.  I want to see more of the contestants!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 82
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 82

Was last night's show just totally bizarre, or what???  I couldn't believe the way Adam through DeAndre under the bus, just to save Reagan who was ill and unable to perform. I just felt so badly for him  - just heartbreaking, and you could see the disappointment in his eyes. It was so good to hear Kelly speak up for DeAndre since his coach would not. She did the right thing, good for her!

The fact that a singer can get voted through without performing is so unfair, and the show is to blame for that. Unfortunate though it may be, if a singer cannot perform, he/she should be withdrawn from competition. 

I don't mean to trash Adam, but I do believe that he is somewhat responsible for his team ending up in the bottom two. DeAndre did not look comfortable singing the Bruno Mars song on Monday, yet last night, he was spot-on perfect with the song he chose for the twitter save. Reagan's illness may have been a factor in her performance Monday evening, but I still believe the song choice was too big for her voice. She has a nice voice, and can sing well, but she is not and never will be a power vocalist like Kennedy or others.

With all of that said, I was happy to see the others voted through to the semi-finals. What a nice surprise that Chris lead the Apple streaming! He did pick a good song. All of the girls from Team JHud and Team Kelly made it through once again. Next week will be a different story when they go from 8 to 4. 

Any predictions for the finals? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 82

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I also heard Reagan perform last night, and I just wasn't impressed. 

Sometimes when it gets down to this point, you wonder how some of the contestants are still around, while seemingly better singers were eliminated weeks ago.

You cannot really judge based on one performance but you can be eliminated by one. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 82

@ASTRAEA - Yes, I think that was Reagan's weakest performance. The song was just too big for her voice to carry. 

Checked itunes, and Sarah Grace is at #3. Kirk is the only other performer in the itunes top ten this week. However, we can't see what they are streaming on Apple music.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 82

I also heard Reagan perform last night, and I just wasn't impressed. 

Sometimes when it gets down to this point, you wonder how some of the contestants are still around, while seemingly better singers were eliminated weeks ago.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 82

Boy, I've been checking out pre-Animals versions of "House of the Rising Sun" on Youtube, and there was little consistency of melody in the beginning; some of it was really hillbilly & blues style. It doesn't begin to have that dark sound we're all used to, until Joan Baez' 1960 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD80eZ6Gxz0

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 82

Hey, Everyone,

Yep, I was totally weirded out by Sarah Grace's version of Amazing Grace. I like both songs, but it was not a good vibe IMO. Kelly said she really liked this version, but YIKES!

They couldn't have done it without checking to see if it did violate any copyright laws. I think The Voice is pretty strict on researching this type of thing for fear of the cost of a lawsuit.

Meanwhile, does MaKenzie just get better and better? WOW! She is fabulous! I also thought Kennedy was so cute last night. With her voice and demeanor, it is so hard to believe she is only 13! N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 82

So we've now heard from the top 10, and two will go home tonight. I thought the performances were all well done, though as mentioned, I didn't care for the Sarah Grace version of Amazing Grace. 

Kennedy still holds my #1 spot. Is there anything this kid can't do? She has all the makings of a star at only 13.  And I still like Chris as an all around entertainer. It's going to be tough to watch the bottom three tonight.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 82

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I haven't been watching regularly, but did watch a little of the show last night. I missed the beginning of Sarah Grace's performance, but was totally confused by it. From what I heard, it sounded like the lyrics to "Amazing Grace" sung to the music of "House of the Rising Sun". Huh?! Frankly that sounds like a bunch of copyright infringements, IMHO. It's one thing to change the styling of a song, it's a whole other thing to combine the music from one song & the lyrics of another! Can someone explain what she was doing?

Yes, that's exactly what she did. It's not unusual to use a tune for different lyrics. Many hymns were but poems set to music that was already written, such as Bach, Beethoven, etc. In this case, it seems extreme, since we primarily know this tune by way of a rock song about a brothel in NO.

However, I looked it up, and the tune is actually a traditional English melody in the public domain. It turns out that there are several sets of lyrics to "House" that have been recorded by various artists, but they were all dealing with the dark side of life (prison, brothels, drugs, booze, gambling).

To sing a hymn about grace to such a dark melody is stunning to me. Creative? Maybe. But I didn't care for it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for her. It was a big risk to say the least.

Kudos
Views