Honored Social Butterfly

The Voice 2020

Anyone else watching?

They were off to a big start on Monday with two 4-chair turns - Todd T and Nelson. I immediately added them to my app team.

Later added Todd, a two chair turn (what??). He's the 50-year old that knocked me out with Foreigner's Jukebox Hero. Incredible range, about as pitch perfect as it gets. Rock-on!

And finally, Joanna, another 4-chair turn. Lovely voice, can probably sing most anything.

A few others were selected that I'll be watching for later on, but there's a long way to go.

A real disappointment that Chrissy Joly didn't get a turn. I wish she had sang the song that they were playing during her bio. It was so nice, and much better than the one on stage that didn't seem to showcase her voice. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, it has been a weird year with everybody having to be at home for the last few weeks- contestants and judges.  But it was OK and I do think the best were picked from each team.

Plus the 5th finalist - Boy, I was really sweating that one but thank goodness, it kept Toneisha in the running.

• Team Kelly: Micah Iverson.
  • Team Nick: Thunderstorm Artis.
  • Team Legend: CammWess.
  • Team Blake: Todd Tilghman.
  • Team Blake: Toneisha Harris. 

Micah and Toneisha are both from the same neck of the woods here in GA (North Atlanta) - love them both.

This is from Wikipedia:

The final 5 performed on Monday, May 18, 2020, with the final results following on Tuesday, May 19, 2020. This week, the five finalists performed a solo cover song, and an original song. It's unclear if they will do a duet with their coach.

Screenshot_2020-05-18 The Voice (American season 18) - Wikipedia.png

I will assume that they are still all gonna be "at home"  but don't know for sure about tonite and tommorrow night - wondering it couldn't just be audience free?  Seems the studio would be big enough to accommodate distancing.  Course it might be hard to keep away from all the hugging.

Anybody else still watching?

I am also into "Songland" - anybody else?

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   -  Hi!  Yes, I'm still watching.  

It has been a most unusual season, that's for sure. It was amazing how they were able to coordinate so many people in so many places with live streaming. Maybe that is why the show made such extreme cuts to get to the finals. 

On one episode, they had a clip of the coaches and a few artists setting up the equipment supplied by the show. Surely they had tech people on call for face time assistance. I can't imagine having to deal with that, along with getting a performance planned and rehearsed. What they did was just amazing to me.

The final five are the ones that I was rooting for also!  I really do like all of them, and have no favorite in particular, but I wouldn't be surprised if Todd, the pastor with eight kids, ends up winning it. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Hi, @MaVolta  - speaking about all this "at home" techno stuff which each did - did you notice that some of the sets were very simple; others pulled out all the stops.

Did you see Cedrice's last performance at home - quite the production.

Toneisha also had a rather spectacular one too.

Most of the others just stuck with family around cheering them on - and yes, Todd Tilghman has his own fan base built in with 8 kids.

Do you know if the finale - tonight and tomorrow night is gonna be "at home" or will they return to an audience-less studio?    Acoustics in the at home performances ran the gamut to me which could have changed the audience's vote.  I think - what about you?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1  -  I’m guessing it will be streaming from home. While they might manage a safe studio, the artists would still have to travel by plane, stay in a hotel, etc.  

The coaches have mentioned that we don’t get the same impact from the home set ups as those in studio. But yes, some of the setups have been very creative.    Also, when they play guitar or piano or keyboards with only the one mic, it seems more difficult to control the sound. I’ve even noticed that with the pros who are doing their music from home bit. No matter, I’m just amazed at what they are doing.

I also read that American Idol is doing the same. Lowe’s store is assisting with supplies for their home sets on their finale. Wonder if a supplier will be helping with The Voice.

Looking forward to the show.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Well, I have NO IDEA who will win -

They are ALL Winners.

And this year, I don't even have an order list -  They are all so different but real good in their genre

Great Job in this "at home" year.

You got a list, @MaVolta ?

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1   -  Yes, they are all winners!  I enjoyed every performance. Have no idea, either. This may be the best 5 that they've had in a while.

My favorite original song was the one by Todd, Long Way Home. That's one that I'd buy on iTunes if they do a studio version. (I just looked, it's #1 on iTunes today, and that's the home version!)

One of the changes that I especially appreciate is that they took the artist with the most votes from each team. I hope that will continue. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta 

The history of the song - "Long Way Home" - that's why I like Songland too

CountryNOW - Long Way Home 

This is the debut of the song on Songland in April by the writer - make sure you watch both the writer doing it initially and then what the producer ( Ester Dean ) did with it and then he performs it again.

BEFORE

AFTER

Most every song on Songland is gonna end up with a good artist after those producers do their magic even if the artist being pitched the song on Songland doesn't pick it as their choice from the competition - as this one..

Honored Social Butterfly

YEP - TODD TILGHMAN - may take it away . . . . .

Then Blake will have an even BIGGER head next season.

Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks for finding the Songland versions. I think this one was even developed a little more before it got to Todd. This guy (on Songland) may become a great songwriter, I even like his vocals. They said he was on The Voice once. 

I've watched a few episodes, and I usually like the ones if I like the genre or the artist that is featured on the program. But some of the newer people, I don't know anything about, or maybe don't care for their style of music. I did notice that some of the songs get a complete makeover, like on last night's episode. We liked the song that was picked, and the songwriter. Some artists that I know are coming up, so I'll probably be watching them, too!

And if Todd wins, how will they contain him! He might be jumping through the roof!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

Thanks for finding the Songland versions. I think this one was even developed a little more before it got to Todd.

And if Todd wins, how will they contain him! He might be jumping through the roof!!

Yes, Ester Dean (Songland) & others were the producers of the song - they worked with Todd Tilghman on getting it right for him.

The Mississippi pastor recorded the track, which was written by Ryan Innes, Dustin Christensen, Ester Dean, Shane McAnally and Ryan Tedder, for the finale.

That's from the CountryNow article

Well, here's wishing them all Good Luck - but really not a loser in the crowd. 

The Songland producers worked with all The Voice artist on their original songs.

Yep, they might have to fix the hole in the roof of the church where he goes thru it.

Honored Social Butterfly

I googled Ryan Innes FB page. He's pretty excited, also! This might be a big break for him, as well.

All of the coaches seem ready to help these artists regardless of outcome, so I wish them all the best. I hope that they all get to make a record, soon!

Honored Social Butterfly

Here he is at his audition on THE VOICE back in 2013 - a 4-chair turn -

I don't remember him.  Looks like he has a big family too -  Yea, think he is now going places -

Honored Social Butterfly

I do remember that performance. I think he was on Team Blake, but I don't recall how far he went in the process.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

YEA !!! Todd Tilghman -

A Pentecostal Minister with (8) Kids and they are "jumpers" too !  Especially one of them - funny.

So Happy - He is a keeper / not to fade away.

Who would have believed . . . . .

Good Show/Good Music Series this year.

Honored Social Butterfly

Congrats to Todd! And an exciting evening for his family, all jumping around, even had the confetti!

Nice duets with the coaches, plus Bon Jovi, and other artists in the various montage songs . . . A really great finale! 

Honored Social Butterfly

I'm watching too -

I liked the 1st 2 nights -

I think Nick Jonas is gonna be a fun judge and coach.

Yea, I can't believe that Todd was only a (2) chair turn - he was really good.

I am not too good with names in the beginning so I can't comment on the ones you mentioned specifically - there is some very good talent.  Still got a few really young ones but the older group (40 / 50's) seem to be well respresented in the picks.

However, I do remember this one -Toneisha Harris, she performed Foreigner's “I Want to Know What Love Is,”  - in her 40's, the one who was suppose to be on the show a few years ago but her son was fighting leukemia (I think).  She is from my area but the reason that I remember her is that she picked BLAKE and I just kind of thought that was weird since she was a (4) chair turn.

Although they seem to click so I do think it might be a great match.

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes, I like Nick Jonas, too. He's catching on quickly! It was so sweet when he drew the little "portrait"  to exchange with the artist that drew his portrait and didn't get a chair turn on her second try. Last season, she brought portraits for the other coaches.

I also like that they have a good mix of older and younger. Toneisha at 44, and Todd at 50, were both awesome. And then there was the little 14-year-old boy. Honestly, I thought he was maybe 12, but that's below the rules cutoff.

Kelly is sporting a nice new "do". It's very becoming to her.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The blind auditions are over, and the competition begins next Monday. Each team starts with 10 members this season instead of 12. I hope that means that we will get to see all of the performances in their entirety. They did show a lot of no-chair turns in the blinds that were nice to hear, but didn't make the cut. It's always tough when it gets down near the end, and they have to take a pass on someone that might have got in had they performed earlier in the competition. But I guess that is luck of the draw.

I think the coaches made some good choices, and I added my team on the app. I look forward to seeing how they work out. Here are my choices on the app by week chosen, but otherwise, in no particular order  -  Todd, Nelson, Todd, Joanna, Toneisha, Joei, Samuel, Mandi, Micah, Mandi, Kevin, and Cerice.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta 

I will have to wait on most of the names of those I thought were good but I do think that most are the coaches have a strong team.

What did you think of Blake's last pic - I think her name was Kailey Able ?

I also think that John's last pick was very good but I will agree with you that there were several really good ones that got away at the end.

What did you think of Mr. "Superfantastic"?  The 68 year old, body builder that loved to swoon, I think that is what you call it.  He didn't make it but I am glad they gave him a try.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1  -  I thought that Mr. Superfantastic was really cool! I'm glad that they put him on the show. But I do get it why the coaches wouldn't turn. There's not really any commercial path forward for his music style. I am curious to see how well the 50-year-old, Todd the rocker, does. And overall, there is a nice mix of ages. I thought it was interesting that everyone in the finals for last season was 30-something!

I liked Blake's last pick. She did remind me a little of Kim Karnes, but I couldn't figure out who it was. Then Blake mentioned her name, and it was like, yeah, that's the one! LOL!  I also liked the last performer that John picked. She was the last slot on my list. I try to save them to the app as I go, so I have to be a little bit picky like the coaches. 

So what did you think of Mandi the opera singer? She's on Team Kelly. I didn't know that Kelly was a classically trained musician until she mentioned it on the show.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MaVolta wrote:

@GailL1  -   I am curious to see how well the 50-year-old, Todd the rocker, does.

And overall, there is a nice mix of ages. I thought it was interesting that everyone in the finals for last season was 30-something!

So what did you think of Mandi the opera singer? She's on Team Kelly. I didn't know that Kelly was a classically trained musician until she mentioned it on the show.

I must have missed the opera singer - can't wait to see her. 

Todd, The Rocker - REAL COOL - 50 years old - whould you have guessed his age?  I certainly wouldn't have guessed it.

All in all, I think the whole show has gotten better this year - from the judges to the selected talent; although I think a few got away - just not room for everybody.   Should be very interesting.

BTW, what did you think of Levi Watkins - 14 years old - sang "Hey, Soul Sister"  GREAT!!!  Is he on your list?

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1  -  I agree, the show is going much better this year.

No, I wouldn't have guessed Todd's age to be 50. I thought it was remarkable that his range and tone was getting up their into Steve Perry territory! (At age 69, Perry released his first recording in 20 years. That was 2018, and his voice still awesome!)

I do like Levi, and on voice alone, wouldn't have guessed him to be only 14. He didn't make my list since I couldn't "save" everybody, but still, one that I'll be interested to watch for as they go through the process.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

An update on The Voice Season 18, spring 2020 -

The prerecorded battle rounds and knockout rounds will continue through the end of April. The live shows were set to begin in May. There has been no decision, and producers are taking a wait-and-see approach.  Here is what John Legend had to say about it in a recent interview.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a31978885/is-the-voice-canceled-nbc/

There were some changes made this season, as each team is limited to 10. Each coach had one steal and one save, but this year, the "saved" artists will have to compete in a 4-way knockout. That means one coach will have an extra. I can't remember how they handled it last season, but I think that coach had ended up with a 3-way knockout round.

By cutting down the number of competitors, we've seen a lot more blind auditions that had no chair turns, and so far, complete performances for each competition. The show isn't as "choppy" as it was, so that's been a good thing, I think. 

I hope they will be able to safely complete the competition at some point.

0 Kudos