Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Voice 2020

Message 1 of 9

An update on The Voice Season 18, spring 2020 -

The prerecorded battle rounds and knockout rounds will continue through the end of April. The live shows were set to begin in May. There has been no decision, and producers are taking a wait-and-see approach.  Here is what John Legend had to say about it in a recent interview.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/entertainment/a31978885/is-the-voice-canceled-nbc/

There were some changes made this season, as each team is limited to 10. Each coach had one steal and one save, but this year, the "saved" artists will have to compete in a 4-way knockout. That means one coach will have an extra. I can't remember how they handled it last season, but I think that coach had ended up with a 3-way knockout round.

By cutting down the number of competitors, we've seen a lot more blind auditions that had no chair turns, and so far, complete performances for each competition. The show isn't as "choppy" as it was, so that's been a good thing, I think. 

I hope they will be able to safely complete the competition at some point.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@GailL1  -  I agree, the show is going much better this year.

No, I wouldn't have guessed Todd's age to be 50. I thought it was remarkable that his range and tone was getting up their into Steve Perry territory! (At age 69, Perry released his first recording in 20 years. That was 2018, and his voice still awesome!)

I do like Levi, and on voice alone, wouldn't have guessed him to be only 14. He didn't make my list since I couldn't "save" everybody, but still, one that I'll be interested to watch for as they go through the process.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@MaVolta wrote:

@GailL1  -   I am curious to see how well the 50-year-old, Todd the rocker, does.

And overall, there is a nice mix of ages. I thought it was interesting that everyone in the finals for last season was 30-something!

So what did you think of Mandi the opera singer? She's on Team Kelly. I didn't know that Kelly was a classically trained musician until she mentioned it on the show.

I must have missed the opera singer - can't wait to see her. 

Todd, The Rocker - REAL COOL - 50 years old - whould you have guessed his age?  I certainly wouldn't have guessed it.

All in all, I think the whole show has gotten better this year - from the judges to the selected talent; although I think a few got away - just not room for everybody.   Should be very interesting.

BTW, what did you think of Levi Watkins - 14 years old - sang "Hey, Soul Sister"  GREAT!!!  Is he on your list?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@GailL1  -  I thought that Mr. Superfantastic was really cool! I'm glad that they put him on the show. But I do get it why the coaches wouldn't turn. There's not really any commercial path forward for his music style. I am curious to see how well the 50-year-old, Todd the rocker, does. And overall, there is a nice mix of ages. I thought it was interesting that everyone in the finals for last season was 30-something!

I liked Blake's last pick. She did remind me a little of Kim Karnes, but I couldn't figure out who it was. Then Blake mentioned her name, and it was like, yeah, that's the one! LOL!  I also liked the last performer that John picked. She was the last slot on my list. I try to save them to the app as I go, so I have to be a little bit picky like the coaches. 

So what did you think of Mandi the opera singer? She's on Team Kelly. I didn't know that Kelly was a classically trained musician until she mentioned it on the show.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@MaVolta 

I will have to wait on most of the names of those I thought were good but I do think that most are the coaches have a strong team.

What did you think of Blake's last pic - I think her name was Kailey Able ?

I also think that John's last pick was very good but I will agree with you that there were several really good ones that got away at the end.

What did you think of Mr. "Superfantastic"?  The 68 year old, body builder that loved to swoon, I think that is what you call it.  He didn't make it but I am glad they gave him a try.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

The blind auditions are over, and the competition begins next Monday. Each team starts with 10 members this season instead of 12. I hope that means that we will get to see all of the performances in their entirety. They did show a lot of no-chair turns in the blinds that were nice to hear, but didn't make the cut. It's always tough when it gets down near the end, and they have to take a pass on someone that might have got in had they performed earlier in the competition. But I guess that is luck of the draw.

I think the coaches made some good choices, and I added my team on the app. I look forward to seeing how they work out. Here are my choices on the app by week chosen, but otherwise, in no particular order  -  Todd, Nelson, Todd, Joanna, Toneisha, Joei, Samuel, Mandi, Micah, Mandi, Kevin, and Cerice.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

Yes, I like Nick Jonas, too. He's catching on quickly! It was so sweet when he drew the little "portrait"  to exchange with the artist that drew his portrait and didn't get a chair turn on her second try. Last season, she brought portraits for the other coaches.

I also like that they have a good mix of older and younger. Toneisha at 44, and Todd at 50, were both awesome. And then there was the little 14-year-old boy. Honestly, I thought he was maybe 12, but that's below the rules cutoff.

Kelly is sporting a nice new "do". It's very becoming to her.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

I'm watching too -

I liked the 1st 2 nights -

I think Nick Jonas is gonna be a fun judge and coach.

Yea, I can't believe that Todd was only a (2) chair turn - he was really good.

I am not too good with names in the beginning so I can't comment on the ones you mentioned specifically - there is some very good talent.  Still got a few really young ones but the older group (40 / 50's) seem to be well respresented in the picks.

However, I do remember this one -Toneisha Harris, she performed Foreigner's “I Want to Know What Love Is,”  - in her 40's, the one who was suppose to be on the show a few years ago but her son was fighting leukemia (I think).  She is from my area but the reason that I remember her is that she picked BLAKE and I just kind of thought that was weird since she was a (4) chair turn.

Although they seem to click so I do think it might be a great match.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

The Voice 2020

Message 9 of 9

Anyone else watching?

They were off to a big start on Monday with two 4-chair turns - Todd T and Nelson. I immediately added them to my app team.

Later added Todd, a two chair turn (what??). He's the 50-year old that knocked me out with Foreigner's Jukebox Hero. Incredible range, about as pitch perfect as it gets. Rock-on!

And finally, Joanna, another 4-chair turn. Lovely voice, can probably sing most anything.

A few others were selected that I'll be watching for later on, but there's a long way to go.

A real disappointment that Chrissy Joly didn't get a turn. I wish she had sang the song that they were playing during her bio. It was so nice, and much better than the one on stage that didn't seem to showcase her voice. 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Learn how to improve your problem-solving skills and enter the Love Your Brain sweepstakes from AARP Staying Sharp!