From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Great British Baking Show returns

Message 1 of 27

Hey, Everyone,

The last time we left off talking about this show, it was last summer and now my PBS station is showing a season that was never before aired in the US...season 3.

It started on Friday night and 2 episodes were shown. Looking ahead in my TV Guide, it looks like one episode for the next couple of Fridays. So since it's an early season in the show's history, it's still Paul Hollywood, Mary Berry, and Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc.

I was happy to find out that it's on and will try to watch all the episodes.

Did anyone else see it? N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 27

@doglover52, Thanks for the update, Sue. Let us know if you find out anything else.  I'm hoping that PBS might continue airing the shows. It will seem strange without Mel, Sue, and Mary though.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

I was reading an article yesterday online about this show,the 8th season in UK started Tues.The show's production company moved the show from BBC to rival commerical network Ch4 for a higher fee. Two comedians I've never heard of,Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding have replaced Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc. A chef and writer,Prue Leith has replaced Mary Berry. Paul Hollywood is still with the show judging the contestants.

I'll be interested to see if this show continues on PBS if so,when we'll get to see it in 2018 Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

Not sure if it was my imagination or not, but this season’s challenges seemed a lot harder than the past seasons’.

For the signature bake of the semi-finals, they had to make 24 savory palmiers with puffy pastry. Of course I had never heard of these. The flavor combos were making me drool. The aromas in the tent must have been heavenly. Andrew did very well and I had hope.

The technical bake was Paul’s Savarin cake. (I thought Savarin was an old time brand of coffee) Jane won and Andrew was second. I still had hope.

The showstopper was 36 fondant fancies and Andrew got star baker! Wahoo! I was thrilled! Selasi was the baker to leave.

Then to the finals…

The signature bake was a filled meringue crown. It seems Paul and Mary liked Jane’s the best. So far so good.

The technical was Mary’s Victorian sandwich, a 2 layer cake with filling, no frosting. Andrew wins the technical. I am so enjoying this!

THEN…Cat Sad The showstopper, a picnic celebration (read, nightmare) including a celebration chocolate cake, quiches, scones, tarts, and sausage rolls. Holy cow! They had 5 hours to complete this. The presentations all actually looked pretty when they finally finished the torture. I still had hope for Jane or Andrew, but alas…Candice was chosen the winner. My guess is that they chose her because she had won four star baker awards this season. IMO she really didn’t outshine Jane and Andrew in the semi-finals or finals.

I was disappointed like you, Sue.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

I didin't watch all of the 2 hr  finale,but I sensed the contestant I disliked the most would win,Candice,she did.

I agree with Nancy'she rubbed me the wrong way' Sue

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

Hi, Sue, I did notice the double episodes in my TV Guide yesterday as I was planning what to watch tonight. Glad I'm going to be home since I'd rather not sit here on the computer chair for 2 hours watching. I'm with you, rooting for Jane or Andrew to win!  Cat Happy Candice just rubs me the wrong way. N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

FYI: tonight is the season finale of this interesting baking show,it airs  from 9-11pm.My favorite to win is either Jane or Andrew.If Candice wins,I'l be disappointed. Sue

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27

I was out last night, so had to watch this episode online this morning.

The signature bakes of shaped pies looked pretty, but the meat fillings would not have been to my liking. I’m glad Andrew also did well in that one.

The technical bake was Paul’s Jumbles. My idea of a Jumble was sure not anything like those. OMG, the Celtic knot was a nightmare. Disappointed that Candice won that one.

My mother used to bake Jumbles and they were soft raised cookies that had an egg wash and on the top we used to put either a half walnut/pecan or a maraschino cherry in the middle. They were so good.

Marzipan centerpieces for the showstopper. Jane's looked pretty, but I think from the beginning I knew Candice would be star baker this week, darn it. That peacock was amazing though. I thought Selasi would go home before Benjamina! I hope Jane and Andrew hang in there until the end.

On to the semi- finals…2 more episodes.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

Last night's episode was the quarter finals,"Tudor week"

In the first challenge,they had to bake shaped pies with fillings. Jane did well

The technical challenge was baking 12 'jumbles,6 celtic knots,6, knot balls. Candice won

The 'show stopper',bake a mazi pan centerpiece,march pane.The 'star baker' of the night was  my least favorite Candice.

I was sorry to see Benjamina eliminated,thought she did better than Salsi.

The remaining bakers are:Jane,Andrew,Salsi and Candice

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27

I was so happy Andrew won Star Baker this week, but also sad that Tom was the one who had to leave.

The signature roulades looked tricky as Paul and Mary expected an even roll and filling.

I was very surprised at the technical bake of marjolaines! They all looked very attractive to me considering some of the bakers had never made one before. I wouldn't have even know what they were supposed to look like as I had never heard that term before. As soon as Paul cut into Andrew's and I heard that meringue crunch, I knew he had nailed it. Cat Happy

The show stoppers seemed tricky also. As Sue said, some looked better than others.

I think Selasi may be the next one to be eliminated.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors