Honored Social Butterfly

The Great British Baking Show returns

Get ready baking fans: The Great British Baking Show returns Fri, June 16 at 9/8c! #PBSBakingShow

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

I was reading an article yesterday online about this show,the 8th season in UK started Tues.The show's production company moved the show from BBC to rival commerical network Ch4 for a higher fee. Two comedians I've never heard of,Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding have replaced Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc. A chef and writer,Prue Leith has replaced Mary Berry. Paul Hollywood is still with the show judging the contestants.

I'll be interested to see if this show continues on PBS if so,when we'll get to see it in 2018 Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Recognized Social Butterfly

@doglover52, Thanks for the update, Sue. Let us know if you find out anything else.  I'm hoping that PBS might continue airing the shows. It will seem strange without Mel, Sue, and Mary though.

Hey, Everyone,

The last time we left off talking about this show, it was last summer and now my PBS station is showing a season that was never before aired in the US...season 3.

It started on Friday night and 2 episodes were shown. Looking ahead in my TV Guide, it looks like one episode for the next couple of Fridays. So since it's an early season in the show's history, it's still Paul Hollywood, Mary Berry, and Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc.

I was happy to find out that it's on and will try to watch all the episodes.

Did anyone else see it? N.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

I didin't watch all of the 2 hr  finale,but I sensed the contestant I disliked the most would win,Candice,she did.

I agree with Nancy'she rubbed me the wrong way' Sue

Not sure if it was my imagination or not, but this season’s challenges seemed a lot harder than the past seasons’.

For the signature bake of the semi-finals, they had to make 24 savory palmiers with puffy pastry. Of course I had never heard of these. The flavor combos were making me drool. The aromas in the tent must have been heavenly. Andrew did very well and I had hope.

The technical bake was Paul’s Savarin cake. (I thought Savarin was an old time brand of coffee) Jane won and Andrew was second. I still had hope.

The showstopper was 36 fondant fancies and Andrew got star baker! Wahoo! I was thrilled! Selasi was the baker to leave.

Then to the finals…

The signature bake was a filled meringue crown. It seems Paul and Mary liked Jane’s the best. So far so good.

The technical was Mary’s Victorian sandwich, a 2 layer cake with filling, no frosting. Andrew wins the technical. I am so enjoying this!

THEN…Cat Sad The showstopper, a picnic celebration (read, nightmare) including a celebration chocolate cake, quiches, scones, tarts, and sausage rolls. Holy cow! They had 5 hours to complete this. The presentations all actually looked pretty when they finally finished the torture. I still had hope for Jane or Andrew, but alas…Candice was chosen the winner. My guess is that they chose her because she had won four star baker awards this season. IMO she really didn’t outshine Jane and Andrew in the semi-finals or finals.

I was disappointed like you, Sue.

Trusted Social Butterfly

FYI: tonight is the season finale of this interesting baking show,it airs  from 9-11pm.My favorite to win is either Jane or Andrew.If Candice wins,I'l be disappointed. Sue

Hi, Sue, I did notice the double episodes in my TV Guide yesterday as I was planning what to watch tonight. Glad I'm going to be home since I'd rather not sit here on the computer chair for 2 hours watching. I'm with you, rooting for Jane or Andrew to win!  Cat Happy Candice just rubs me the wrong way. N.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night's episode was the quarter finals,"Tudor week"

In the first challenge,they had to bake shaped pies with fillings. Jane did well

The technical challenge was baking 12 'jumbles,6 celtic knots,6, knot balls. Candice won

The 'show stopper',bake a mazi pan centerpiece,march pane.The 'star baker' of the night was  my least favorite Candice.

I was sorry to see Benjamina eliminated,thought she did better than Salsi.

The remaining bakers are:Jane,Andrew,Salsi and Candice

I was out last night, so had to watch this episode online this morning.

The signature bakes of shaped pies looked pretty, but the meat fillings would not have been to my liking. I’m glad Andrew also did well in that one.

The technical bake was Paul’s Jumbles. My idea of a Jumble was sure not anything like those. OMG, the Celtic knot was a nightmare. Disappointed that Candice won that one.

My mother used to bake Jumbles and they were soft raised cookies that had an egg wash and on the top we used to put either a half walnut/pecan or a maraschino cherry in the middle. They were so good.

Marzipan centerpieces for the showstopper. Jane's looked pretty, but I think from the beginning I knew Candice would be star baker this week, darn it. That peacock was amazing though. I thought Selasi would go home before Benjamina! I hope Jane and Andrew hang in there until the end.

On to the semi- finals…2 more episodes.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night's episode was about desserts. In the 1st challenge, make roulade which you wrap with filling. The 'technical challege',they had to make marange layered with nuts. Andrew won .For the 'show stopper',they had to make 24 mini mousse sponge cakes,some looked more delicious than others.Andrew was the big winner over all,last week's 'star baker',Tom was eliminated. The remaining bakers left are Andrew,Jane,Benjamina Salsi and Candice,hopefully she doesn't make it to the finale. I'm rooting for the others to do well Sue

I was so happy Andrew won Star Baker this week, but also sad that Tom was the one who had to leave.

The signature roulades looked tricky as Paul and Mary expected an even roll and filling.

I was very surprised at the technical bake of marjolaines! They all looked very attractive to me considering some of the bakers had never made one before. I wouldn't have even know what they were supposed to look like as I had never heard that term before. As soon as Paul cut into Andrew's and I heard that meringue crunch, I knew he had nailed it. Cat Happy

The show stoppers seemed tricky also. As Sue said, some looked better than others.

I think Selasi may be the next one to be eliminated.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night's episode was 'botanical'.

1. first challenge was baking a citrus miragrine pie

2. 'technical' was baking a 2 herb leaf shaped foi gas,

3.'show stopper', baking 3 tier floral cake. As usual,Candice thought she could score 'brownie points' by baking a 4 tier one instead. It didn't work

Tom baked a 3 tier tea cake,which I thought was impressive.He won'star baker',his 2nd time winning this.

I felt my 2 favorites in the competiton,Jane and Andrew seemed to lose their confidence,not doing well in the challenges.It was tough to watch Andrew near tears thinking he was going home.Rav was eliminated,he wasn't upset about it.I enjoyed the show. Sue

Candice is really beginning to get on my nerves.

I felt bad for Jane and Andrew last night, too.

I loved how Selasi's showstopper cake looked, but apparently there was not much flavor. Had a feeling Tom would do good on that weird technical bake fougass thing since he loves to do bread and is good at it. So glad his showstopper worked out well, too.

I like Benjamina, too, and her grapefruit citrus creation was a hit with the judges last night.

Funny about the technical fougass. I thought Paul was butchering the pronunciation of focaccia since it looked a little like focaccia. According to what I read, it actually is similar to focaccia. Cat Happy

Ye, I love this show, too!

Honored Social Butterfly

You mean to tell me the Brits can bake? I thought the only thing they cooked was porridge, then go out for a curry for all their other meals. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night's episode was all about pastry. In the first challenge,the contestants had to bake 24 different Danish pastries,some looked delcious.Jane and in a surprise Cadace got good reviews from Paul and Mary.

The 2nd challenge was baking a tart. Jane,my favorite to win it all was declared the winner.

In the 'show stopper' challenge,they had to bake 48 small tarts,I think that's what Paul&Mary wanted,I couldn't understand what they were saying.

The 'star baker' was Cadace. Val,the oldest contestant was eliminated. Its obvious the others became quite fond of her. Sue

That was hard work! I can't even imagine having to make some of those doughs...all the butter that has to be incorporated and rolled into the dough. And the phyllo dough having to be so thin! Cat Surprised

My favorite is Jane, also, but I do love Andrew. I'll have to admit...Candice's show stoppers had a lot of flair! The way she looks at Paul makes me cringe though. And he is not a person I think I could trust.

Love the show though.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 Hi Nancy,I also like Andrew,agree with you about Cadice flirting with Paul. I wonder if the other contestants have noticed this too Sue

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

The desserts are fantastic, though complicated for amateurs, plus the measurements are metric,  and some components not available in the US.  Entertaining and fun show.  The cute British gent that helps the older lady with recipes is eye candy.  The desserts are so professional they're likely done by pastry chefs.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night's episode was all about 'batter.' The bakers had to make 24 Yorkshire puddings with fillings.  The technical challenge was making 12 heart shaped pancakes,some did better than others. The 'show stopper' was baking 36 churrubs,which is a Spanish fried donut snack. The 'star baker' of the night was Benjamina,was impressed by what she made along with Jane and Andrew. The baker eliminated was Kate. The one contestant who annoys me is Candace,her 'drama queen' antics is wearing thin. Sue

Cat LOL Most of those Yorkshire puddings were disasters, weren't they?

I can't believe they had to make those lace heart pancakes for the technical challenge!

The churros were a strange thing to have to do for the showstopper. I liked Andrews idea with the flowers, but Benjamina's simple design worked to her advantage. I'm glad she got star baker. I do like Andrew a lot. I think Candice may have a "thing" for Paul Hollywood. Cat LOL

Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night's episode was all about bread,judge Paul Hollywood had the contestants create 2 difficult items. In the technical segment,they had to bake steamed dumplings. He choose Val's,the oldest contestant.In the 'showstopper' segment,they had to bake a centerpiece using 3 different flours. They all did incredible centerpieces,Tom was the 'star baker' which surprised him.

One of the contestants I was rooting for,Michael, age 18 was eliminated. There is 1 contestant who I feel is being a 'drama queen',trying too hard to impress the judges,Candace. Sue

I finally caught up with the first 2 episodes online and watched the 3rd on TV last night. The gingerbread houses from episode 2 were disastrous. Cat LOL

Those breads last night looked so delicious and I almost started to drool. Someone had olives and onions in theirs and others had such delicious sounding flavors it was if I wanted to have "smell-o-vision" to inhale the aromas of them baking.

I don't have a favorite baker yet. It may be Jane, but I love the red head young man, too. Val has gotten by, by a hair each week. Good thing she nailed Paul's yucky looking steamed things in the technical bake. N.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Last night,I watched most of the 4th season {there are 10 episodes} with 2 episodes back to back.I'm always interested to see what the 12 talented bakers can do, the comments the judges,Paul Hollywood&Mary Berry tell them.In the 2nd episode,the highlight was making their signature gingerbread house. One contestant,made the house which actually was a pub where she worked,she was voted the'best baker'.I have a couple favorites I'm rooting for Michael,18yr old{youngest contestant},Andrew,the red headed guy,Janet.

I was reading in yesterday{June 16th} USA TODAY,this season is actually the 7th which aired last yr in U.K.. Unfortuantely,this season will be the last with the original cast except for Paul.The show has been picked up by a different channel in U.K. with 2 new hosts.Sue

Trusted Social Butterfly

Diane,thanks for this info,I like watching this show. I don't bake,but I'm always amazed by what the contestants can create. Sue

@doglover52, @nyadrn, YES! I love this show even though I would never in my life try to do any of the challenges that are are presented to the contestants. I don't cook or bake anymore unless forced. Cat LOL

Oh, dang...I have to go to a play that night. Guess I'll be watching that episode on the computer.

Honored Social Butterfly

This is a great fun show!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png