Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Child in Time. Masterpiece Theater

Message 1 of 7

I finally got around to watching this show, and like you all, it was especially difficult to follow. There may have been details in the book that would make it easier to understand, but didn't translate on film. I never made the connection about the woman in the pub, for example, even after his mom explained the situation. 

The story of his friend who regressed to a childhood state was, indeed, very sad. There were these implied references to the British government spying on him. So what was that all about? I had to wonder if it was really a suicide or a murder cover up. Why was one of his shoes left in the mud on the path? Was he in a rush, that he left it where it was?

The relationship with his wife was a little easier to follow and understand, but then the movie ended so abruptly with the arrival of the new baby. At the end, I just thought - that's it?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@catwoman500wrote:

@nyadrn..AHA! Thanks for that link. According to that review, the younger woman he saw in the pub was supposed to be his mother! In the movie she said he was conceived there. N.

@catwoman500   yes the article pointed out the issue with trying to follow the time lines in the show.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

@nyadrn..AHA! Thanks for that link. According to that review, the younger woman he saw in the pub was supposed to be his mother! In the movie she said he was conceived there. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

TV review: Benedict Cumberbatch stars in a muddied but beautiful adaptation of 'The Child in Time'

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900014237/tv-review-benedict-cumberbatch-stars-in-a-muddied-but-...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@catwoman500wrote:

I watched, but it wasn't what I expected. It was kind of weird. I'm guessing the little boy Steve kept seeing was what his son was going to look like when he grew up? And in that bar when he saw the young lady...was that what Kate would have looked like in the future? I think I'd have to watch it again to pick up some nuances I may have missed.

Did enjoy the preview of Little Women that came after on my station. N.

@catwoman500  Yes it was "weird" in several ways.  Possibly reading the book would help.  I enjoyed it but it was hard to follow..  and so sad.  His friend that had gone back to being the boy he was not allowed to be was a tough character to like because of his disjointed actions and the ending was not totally unexpected.. and I guess we were seeing that there are more than one ways to lose a child.  

Don't know to both of your questions ..

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

I watched, but it wasn't what I expected. It was kind of weird. I'm guessing the little boy Steve kept seeing was what his son was going to look like when he grew up? And in that bar when he saw the young lady...was that what Kate would have looked like in the future? I think I'd have to watch it again to pick up some nuances I may have missed.

Did enjoy the preview of Little Women that came after on my station. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

The Child in Time. Masterpiece Theater

Message 7 of 7

About the Show
Premieres Sunday, April 1st, 2018 on MASTERPIECE!

MASTERPIECE ON PBS TO CO-PRODUCE THE CHILD IN TIME STARRING BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH

In their first television commission, Pinewood Television and SunnyMarch TV will produce The Child In Time for BBC ONE, co-produced by MASTERPIECE. Adapted by Stephen Butchard (The Last Kingdom) from Ian McEwan’s Whitbread Prize winning novel, and directed by Julian Farino (The Newsroom, Entourage), The Child In Time is a lyrical and heart-breaking exploration of love, loss and the power of things unseen. The 90-minute drama will be distributed by STUDIOCANAL. MASTERPIECE is presented on PBS by WGBH Boston.

Kudos
Views
Replies