Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TV viewing/commercial time

Message 1 of 7

@nctarheel wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

Intesting study. It's why I keep the cable and dvr. Anything we watch on regular tv has to be recorded!

The DVR is the best invention man or woman has ever invented.... better than the wheel or even, fried chicken.

I NEVER learned how to completely use either my VCR or my DVD players but the DVR was so intuitive, I learned it right away and like you, @MaVolta, almost everything I watch has been recorded previously.

Of course, being able to start a program over with a DVR or putting a "live" program on hold so you can maybe have an "extended" stay in the rest room is another advantage of this wonderful product.

One way that I like to use the DVR is for live shows that run long (2 hours or more) but I still want to watch same day. I start the recording and watch something else, then come back and start watching the program. By FF through commercials, I still usually end up near the end time of the live program anyway. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

We have cable, but no DVR yet. Will get one in next few months. We want to take advantage of the cable and record a number of shows. But, right now, hate those commercials since the majority of our watching is via Netflix dvd's. I agree --- DVR is a great invention.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Part 2 of that is that channels seem to be synchronized, so that you often can't flip between channels, to avoid the commercials on one! Sometimes the channels really get screwed up, and run a commercial several times, in between others. Hard to believe that once upon a time, cable was promoted as the alternative to free TV .. w/o commercials!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@MaVolta wrote:

Intesting study. It's why I keep the cable and dvr. Anything we watch on regular tv has to be recorded!

The DVR is the best invention man or woman has ever invented.... better than the wheel or even, fried chicken.

I NEVER learned how to completely use either my VCR or my DVD players but the DVR was so intuitive, I learned it right away and like you, @MaVolta, almost everything I watch has been recorded previously.

Of course, being able to start a program over with a DVR or putting a "live" program on hold so you can maybe have an "extended" stay in the rest room is another advantage of this wonderful product.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/commerciallength.htm

Shows times by year

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

TV viewing/commercial time

Message 7 of 7

Boy I don't know about you but it is getting rediculous how much time is given over to commercials.  After watching Netflix or other choices, watching regular tv is excruciating.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies