You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Stars We Lost in 2017

Message 41 of 50

Barbara Hale who is best known for playing devoted secretary,"Della Street' on classic legal drama, "Perry Mason" died on Thurs age 94. She co-starred with Raymond Burr who played Mason. The show aired from '57-'66 making it one of the longest legal dramas on TV.

She won a best Supporting Actress Emmy in '59.Burr died in '93.

She is survived by her son,William Katt who starred in his own TV show," Greatest American Hero"'81-'83, 2 daughters,Johanna&Juanita 6 grandchildren and 3 great grand-children

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 50

@PattyDiane wrote:

@doglover52 wrote:

Miguel Ferrer died yesterday at age 61 of throat cancer. His best known TV roles were:

"Dr.Garret Macy" in "Crossing Jordan' '01-'07 co starred with Jill Hennessey

"Owen Granger" on "NCIS:Los Angeles"

His parents were late singer,Rosemary Clooney,actor Jose Ferrer. His cousin is George Clooney

Hearing of this really got to me more than I would have expected, but he was one of those "Hollywood" people where I felt a personal connection.  

When I was a teenager my favorite relative paid a visit.  At the time he was the city attorney for Santa Monica, CA and he always had wonderful stories about the people I read about in the movie magazines.  Rosemary Clooney and Jose Ferrer lived across the street and they often played bridge together.  On this particular visit he told about the baby they just had.  He was able to see the baby for the first time and take a gift just before he left for his visit home to GA.  

He always talked of his friendship with them as something so special that I didn't understand at the time.  It was only later that I realized that these were two of the few people who accepted him and his Native American "houseboy" as the couple they truly were.  Any time I've seen Miguel Ferrer on TV I've thought about my cousin telling me about that beautiful baby.  I recently saw him on an episode of "NCIS LA" and thought he looked very sick, which made me wonder.

A great story.  Thanks for sharing it!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 50

@PattyDiane  Wonderful & moving post, PattyDiane.  Thanks so much for sharing. ☺

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 50

@doglover52 wrote:

Miguel Ferrer died yesterday at age 61 of throat cancer. His best known TV roles were:

His parents were late singer,Rosemary Clooney,actor Jose Ferrer. His cousin is George Clooney

Hearing of this really got to me more than I would have expected, but he was one of those "Hollywood" people where I felt a personal connection.  

When I was a teenager my favorite relative paid a visit.  At the time he was the city attorney for Santa Monica, CA and he always had wonderful stories about the people I read about in the movie magazines.  Rosemary Clooney and Jose Ferrer lived across the street and they often played bridge together.  On this particular visit he told about the baby they just had.  He was able to see the baby for the first time and take a gift just before he left for his visit home to GA.  

He always talked of his friendship with them as something so special that I didn't understand at the time.  It was only later that I realized that these were two of the few people who accepted him and his Native American "houseboy" as the couple they truly were.  Any time I've seen Miguel Ferrer on TV I've thought about my cousin telling me about that beautiful baby.  I recently saw him on an episode of "NCIS LA" and thought he looked very sick, which made me wonder.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 50

Sorry  didn't see this post.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 50

Thank you for the post, Sue.  Your post caught my eye & really startled, then saddened me.  We've lost a special one with her.

I loved Mary Tyler Moore, loved her body of work.  I even loved the movie she did with Elvis Presley, "Change of Habit" - found it quite entertaining. Smiley Happy

May MTM rest in peace.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 50

Mary Tyler Moore died this morning of cardiac arrest after she contacted pneuomonia. She was 80.

I remember seeing her in the wonderful movie"Ordinary People" '80. She and Donald Sutherland play a well to do couple who are trying to come to grips with their eldest son,Buck who drowned in a sailing accident. Mary's character,Beth is a cold,hearted mother,who blames her youngest  son,Conrad{played by Timothy Hutton}  for Buck's death.This was a great opportunity for fans to see Mary in a totally different role, knowning she could do drama&comedy convincingly. She was nominated for Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance. Hutton and director,Robert Redford won Oscars

She starred in her own classic comedy series"The Mary Tyler Moore Show' which ran from '70-'77.She worked at a fictious TV station in Minneapolis as a assistant producer of local news show ,as "Mary Richards'. The actors in this wonderful ensemble were Ed Asner"Lou Grant",Ted Knight"Ted Baxter,Gavin MacLeod"Murray',Betty White,Georgette Engel as Ted's wife and Valerie Harper,Mary's next door neighbor,Rhoda.

Mary won Emmy for Best Actress in Comedy '73,'74,'76

She is now reunited with her 2nd husband,Grant Tinker,who died in Dec'16.They created/co-owned  MTM Productions   R.I.P. Mary,you'll be missed

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

TV Stars We Lost in 2017 - Mary Tyler Moore at 80

Message 48 of 50

USA Today: Mary Tyler Moore gone at 80

Mary had a long career on TV, starting on the Dick Van Dyke show in the early 1960s, and then her own show in the 1970s. She also did lots of guest appearances on TV, and did forays into the movies .. being nominated by the Academy as best actress for "Ordinary People".

She struggled for years with diabetes, and it took its toll on her.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 50

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

TV Stars We Lost in 2017

Message 50 of 50

Actor,comedian,Dick Gautier who best known TV role was "Hymie the Robot" on the spy spoof comedy "Get Smart" died on Sunday at age 85. He appeared on the show from '66-'69

He was in the original cast of the Broadway show,"Bye,Bye Birdie" '60,he played Conrad Birdie,was nominated for a Tony award

Kudos
Views
Replies