Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 1 of 93

I do not like commercials period!  But I know it is the way of paying for programming.  The commercials for medication is unbelievable.  If you listen to all the irritating reasons that could go wrong or if you have "this" don't take this medication...it makes you think twice about taking such a medication.  I know someone down the road has sued the heck out of the makers so they have to cover their hind ends by listiing all the jabber.  I personally think medications should not be on tv.  Your doctor is going to give you what he/she thinks best.  If you listen to the commercials - some people may try to self diagnose.  Someone said in the response about younger children being in the room when some of these come on...women's personal hygiene products or erectial problems-kids don't need to hear this!!!!!  I don't think it will ever be the day of medication being removed from regular programming - we can only wish.  The pharma's are making toooooo much money!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 93

By the time all the disclaimers of those who shouldn't use that particular drug are aired, I've just about forgotten what the commercial was about!!     Way too many of these types of commercials, in my honest opinion.    I don't want our grandsons to worry about their grandparents, when every little cough or sneeze could be misinterpreted, thanks to all the medical commercials now.    

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 93

I don't think that drugs should be advertised on TV.  It adds alot to the cost of the drug.  If you have a problem tell your doctor.  They will prescribe a drug they think will help.   

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 93

I don't know aout the rest of you but I don't miss the commercials when I watch Netflix.  Even when I see them on regular TV they never convince me to purchase anything.  I think they are a waste of time and money and more and more ads are showing up on social media.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 93

Aint that the truth !

Bruce G Miller Sr
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 93

Just like they did about 15 years ago with blood sugar levels. 120 used to be considered the high point for normal. Now it's 100.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 93

They recently lowered acceptable blood pressure readings.  Probably to sell more blood pressure medication.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 93

It's very true that the medical profession makes up diseases. Check out the NPR edition about osteopenia. It's probably 10 years old, but still pertinent. At that time, bone scanners that measure bone density in the wrist were being made available on a widespread basis. They weren't coming up with enough cases of full blown osteoporisis, so they made up osteopenia to justify prescribing those horrible biophosphonates to more patients. When I mentioned this to my oncologist, she looked shocked and stated that osteopenia is definitely an actual disease requiring treatment. BS!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 93

Well. I see AARP doesn't want to post the truth.

So be it.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 93

Unfortunately MDs are part of the problem. Many are paid by drug companies to speak about specific drugs. MDs are also often paid by drug companies for subscribing certain drugs. There are many ways for drug companies to manipulate distribution channels....how about making up diseases just to sell a specific drug?

Not kidding. It's ALL about MONEY.

Kudos
Views