Regular Social Butterfly

TV Commericals

I said the same thing to my Grand Daughter, that I never saw so many medicines and medical products on TV. They weren't on like this when I was young, so she said maybe it's because it's I'm older now. I said I don't think so !!

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Contributor

I agree with most of what has been said on the topic of TV commercials for pharmaceuticals, but interestingly, I have not seen anyone mention the fact that our eyes are far more instrumental in our thoughts than our ears.  In other words, all of the time they are rapidly talking about the required disclaimers that might happen to you, if you take the drug they are promoting, including death, they are showing you pictures and videos of loving families having loving times and enjoying the times of their lives.  How does that work?  They know that your eyes are remembering far more than the ears are hearing.

I think the overall concept is deplorable and it is totally driven toward money in the pharmaceutical company profits and has nothing to do with what is best for us.  I frankly, have great doctors, and rely on them to know what drugs, if any, are best for whatever condition I might have.  The notion that I would walk into my doctor's office and say, that I saw a drug advertised on TV and everyone who took it seemed to be having a great time, so I want some too, is insane.  Obviously, that type of advertising is within the guidelines of the FCC, or whoever controls TV advertising, and that is greatly influenced by the huge pharmaceutical lobby, and that is influenced by the amount of money pumped into the political system.  We, as individuals, don't have a chance, except to use our common sense and try to vote to correct problems.

Contributor

OTOH,  we can all READ and most of us know where/how to get such information if we want it!

0 Kudos

I think the commercials are simply to increase sales; increase profits just as tobacco and alcohol, sugar cereals etc have done to influence behavior and create demand - especially those with patents.   I find this disheartening ethically and a reflection that if it makes money for the big corps nothing is out of bounds, they have a right to Sell.  Funny cartoon I saw:  If you tell your doctor what medicine to prescribe doesnt that make him your drug dealer?  Interesting how Pharmaceutical profits can bypass MD or Nurse Practitioner wholistic knowledge and decision making to give you the best advice and treatments.  Next it will be marijuana and CBD products.  

Periodic Contributor

Parmacuticle companies have as much right to advertise as much as anybody else.  While checking with your Doctor is alaways advisable, one might discover a product that would help take care of a certain condition you have, that the Doctor didn't think to mention.  And frankly I think it's stupid to have to list all the possible side affects.  It's like requiring an auto company telling you that you could die in an auto accident if you drove the car their selling.  Just put the side effects on the side of the container that the medecine comes in.  

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

This advertising is divisive and being targeted at audience who lack the knowledge to understand the appropriate use of these drugs. Physicians have spent years in school to even get a basic understanding of the complexities of how drugs work and the proper use of them. The adds also, have a subliminal suggestion of the aches and pains one may have. The complexities of pharmacology is vast and most of us are not educated enough to make informed decisions about them.

Contributor

Amen!
Kudos
Views
Contributor

I think there are way too many commercials about drugs that we should only discuss with a competent physician. Not be swayed by comments by companies trying to sell their product actually before they are thoroughly tested for future side effects.

Contributor

Those ads are useless to the average person. I'm not really sure what some of them do. I prefer to hear the suggestion from my doctor, and be able to ask him questions about the drug, it's side effects etc. It would be nice if those hugh advertizing dollars would be used to LOWER the costs of the drugs to the patient and not used give big  bonuses to their own excutives.

0 Kudos
Contributor

These commercials drive me crazy. First of all it's costly for pharmaceutical companies to pay for these ads. Which in turn cost us more. Besides I don't want to hear about all of these things that are going to kill me . I'm going to die one day anyway and I certainly don't want a medicine that's going to do it sooner. I generally agree with everyone else.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I don't pay attention to those commercials. I have a great Dr. I trust

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The costs of just about every prescription medication that a Doctor might order for a patient is based on  2 main factors: (a) Drug Companies need to show stock holders they are making money - and - (b) The rates they are paying Radio, TV and even Newspapers to air/print their advertisements. I wonder how fast costs for medications would drop if there was some way to prevent any Drug Company from advsertising any of their products until after they have received FDA approval.

Contributor

You are correct all TV Commercials do is increase the cost to the consumer.  This needs to be eleminated along with letting us buy foreign manufactured drugs frum Canada, Great Britian, Germany, and France.  We also need to have Medicare and Medicaid pay a lower price for drugs purchased by them just like any other insurance company.  These items alone will save Medicare Millions of Dollars every year. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hate them with a passion! Born 7/4/1951 meant only aspirin, heartburn, toothpaste, etc. When I watched tv with my Nanny Helen in the Bronx (born there), there was never any thought that a 3 year old girl couldn't hang out and see anything inappropriate. My great-gran ruled the roost since the family came here during the famine. I still live here and am offended by this **bleep**. I know Grandma Hannigan (nee Twomey) is somewhere muttering very bad words and Nanny is bewildered.

Contributor

I agree with all who have posted that the ads annoying and definitely contribute to the higher cost of prescription meds.  How else will the company pay for the ads if they don’t charge us more?

Contributor

so sick and tried of all the medical commericals way too many ..  Prescriptions medicene and  The big word  CANCER...I am so sorry people have it and I have lost many friends.. People that are healthy dont like seeing this. and its becoming an obsession on TV.   Hubby and I counted one night all the commercials between shows and it was 15  and 9 of them were medical products.I know I am not the only one that is tried of them.  Does anyone know where I can call and voice my concerms. thank you so much.

Contributor

Well. I see AARP doesn't want to post the truth.

So be it.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Unfortunately MDs are part of the problem. Many are paid by drug companies to speak about specific drugs. MDs are also often paid by drug companies for subscribing certain drugs. There are many ways for drug companies to manipulate distribution channels....how about making up diseases just to sell a specific drug?

Not kidding. It's ALL about MONEY.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It's very true that the medical profession makes up diseases. Check out the NPR edition about osteopenia. It's probably 10 years old, but still pertinent. At that time, bone scanners that measure bone density in the wrist were being made available on a widespread basis. They weren't coming up with enough cases of full blown osteoporisis, so they made up osteopenia to justify prescribing those horrible biophosphonates to more patients. When I mentioned this to my oncologist, she looked shocked and stated that osteopenia is definitely an actual disease requiring treatment. BS!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

They recently lowered acceptable blood pressure readings.  Probably to sell more blood pressure medication.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Aint that the truth !

Bruce G Miller Sr
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I don't know aout the rest of you but I don't miss the commercials when I watch Netflix.  Even when I see them on regular TV they never convince me to purchase anything.  I think they are a waste of time and money and more and more ads are showing up on social media.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Just like they did about 15 years ago with blood sugar levels. 120 used to be considered the high point for normal. Now it's 100.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am in total agreement with the idea that these commercials can cause too many people more anxiety.  In one way they seem to be pushing the drugs, and the only up side is listening to the "side effects"  The actors always seem positive, but just thinking about how easy it is to get a busy doctor to forget and prescribe unnecessary drugs is horrible.    

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

RozM240959...you are so right!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@angeleyes64 - Yes, I agree with you. Ads for prescription drugs and medical products are mostly a 21st century thing. I think that's one reason our scripts are so expensive; not the only reason, but certainly a factor. 

I have to say, it's a little amusing to see that they have to read all of the disclaimers and potential side effects. After hearing that it might just kill you, I think, why would anyone want to take it? !!

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Contributor

tv is over commericalze the commericals take up more time then the regular program so i do not watch tv much anymore

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree that the TV commercials run up the cost of drugs unnessesarily.

It is important to note that doctors get very scant education about pharmaceuticals during their schooling and usually only know what they can pull up on their epad and what the sales people tell them,

Before you agree to any of the medications with known severe side effects, the best place to get advice is from you phamacist.  They will know vstly more than your doctor about side effects, interactikons, etc.

0 Kudos

I agree that this all the ads are reflected in the high cost we pay.

Periodic Contributor

In my case specifically the ads don’t show truth. I have severe Rheumatoid Disease and the ads for all the biologic medications show people playing soccer, or doing a lot of physical activity. The truth about severe RA/RD is that even with the medications getting out of bed is a struggle.

If my medication is not truth, how many others are that way. These medications are also very expensive about $5000 a month. If doctors diagnose and treat patients why do we need these ads. As Pain meds are now being removed from a doctors opinion, why not everything? This is not to be negative at all just truth has been made obsolete lately.

Regular Contributor

Recently I overheard a tourist who, hearing someone complain of leg cramps, said to no one in particular: “Americans have at least three (3) different pills for any given ailment.” How astute!

But isn’t it true? Aspirin vs Tylenol vs Advil vs Ibuprofen = all analgesics. Are they so different? Is one really better than the other? No, just products of competing drug firms.

Today drug ads vie with cars, foods, services and all else. I abhor all commercials. Sadly, it is they that fund the operations of cable, radio, TV, cellphone companies, etc.

So, caveat emptor. Drug adverts are only about money not interested in curing anyone.

Aware of drugs’ harmful side effects, Big Pharma knows patients trust doctors and will take drugs to lessen the ill effects of the first, etc. The tragedy is, no one questions. Very few look up advised drugs via the internet or ask a pharmacist about efficacy and interactions.

Doctors are not infallible; one cannot always blame them. Routinely overworked with little time to pay undivided attention to the drug houses reps dispensing newest samples. Notably the single-field docs have a narrow focus involving only drugs having to do with their specialty (i.e.: pulmonologists).

Note that drug adverts always state (I paraphrase) – “be sure you tell your doctor all the drugs you are taking,” implying a patient may have several doctors who don’t know of each other’s existence.

Ever more drugs are chained together, each intended to counteract the one before. Small wonder that many fall prey to ills they didn’t have to begin with; all due to the constant intake of chemicals human body was not intended to ingest in the first place.  

It’s a self-perpetuating cycle, enriching Big Pharma at the expense of patients whose original health condition is often compromised.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png