Regular Social Butterfly

TV Commericals

I said the same thing to my Grand Daughter, that I never saw so many medicines and medical products on TV. They weren't on like this when I was young, so she said maybe it's because it's I'm older now. I said I don't think so !!

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Contributor

I do not like commercials period!  But I know it is the way of paying for programming.  The commercials for medication is unbelievable.  If you listen to all the irritating reasons that could go wrong or if you have "this" don't take this medication...it makes you think twice about taking such a medication.  I know someone down the road has sued the heck out of the makers so they have to cover their hind ends by listiing all the jabber.  I personally think medications should not be on tv.  Your doctor is going to give you what he/she thinks best.  If you listen to the commercials - some people may try to self diagnose.  Someone said in the response about younger children being in the room when some of these come on...women's personal hygiene products or erectial problems-kids don't need to hear this!!!!!  I don't think it will ever be the day of medication being removed from regular programming - we can only wish.  The pharma's are making toooooo much money!!!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

By the time all the disclaimers of those who shouldn't use that particular drug are aired, I've just about forgotten what the commercial was about!!     Way too many of these types of commercials, in my honest opinion.    I don't want our grandsons to worry about their grandparents, when every little cough or sneeze could be misinterpreted, thanks to all the medical commercials now.    

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

To billham68. Your post triggered an old memory. My wife was being treated for a number of ailments, especially diabetes and high blood pressure, both of which lead to other complications. Her Doctor, whose daughter just happened to be an Rx salesperson, offered to prescribe a certain medication to her. I don't remember what the medication was and what it intended to treat. My wife told him she didn't want that drug and he gave her a "funny" look. She explained she had only one liver.

Six months later, he apologied. He said he had no idea how bad that drug was.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm sure the price of prescription drugs would be much lower if the drug companies cut back on advertising. Focus on educating the medical profession not the consumer. Thank goodness for the tv remote. I can either mute the drug commercials or change stations durng the breaks. My better half and I would never suggest a drug to our doctor. That's his/her job.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Elaborating on Jerry's post; I think the legal profession has done more than its share to cause our health care issues. I didn't think about the cost of Big Pharma legal departments, but that is definitely a good point. Malpractice insurance is a major contributor to the cost of health care. This was brought about by high malpractice settlements, when the lawyers preyed on jurors' sympathies. Of course, these lawyers were getting a percentage of the settlement; if the lawyers had to work for a flat rate, the settlements wouldn't be as big. Malpractice settlements should be based on actual losses and reasonable losses anticipated due to long term future earnings, medical costs not covered by the victim's insurance, etc. It is not meant to be a get-rich-quick proposition. Practitioners should be held accountable, but not crucified, especially on an isolated incident; doctors in constant trouble is quite another matter.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

1) I can't emphasise enough - any and all commercials are only about MONEY!

2) Big Pharma ads deliberately play on the vulnerabilities/fears of folks; pain, death, loss of function, etc.

3) Big Pharma ads are making HYPOCHONDRIACS of ordinary people.

4) Most of their ads feature professional (commercial) actors; some use real patients. But rest assured, both categories are VERY HANDSOMELY REMUNERATED FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION.

5) Know that FDA is not in the business of controlling market prices, it barely makes the grade of approving drugs.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have posted two previous messages that deal, more or less,  with consumer purchases as a source of income for the pharmceutical industry.  They also get a lot of financial support from your financial investments,   Want to take a bold move? Investigate which industries and plans  your money is invested in.  If you hold stocks and/or mutual funds that include Big Pharma investments, you could try to find alternate places to put your money.  Hit the industry where it hurts, cut off its food supply.  Get enough people behind this strategy to send a clear message that you do not want to do business with them.  - Jerry

0 Kudos
Contributor

I agree that TOO MUCH  advertising does reflect in the cost of the medications. 

I am however grateful to see the commercials that use ACTUAL CONSUMERS. I don't mind receiving a true depiction of the improvement of quality of their life with the introduction of the medication.  The commercials with actor portrayal and SIDE EFFECT voice over information can be more frightening then promotional.

I am actually on a certain medication and I choose to  MUTE the ad due to the "side effect" warnings.

I dont think Drug Companies should be allowed to overcharge in the first years of a newly released drug.  The Research and Development  is not always perfect.  We have seen drugs released and pulled due to problems. There should be stricter regulations for control on the initial  profits with newly released Medications.

NENE
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Are you sure there are "ACTUAL CONSUMERS" portrayed in these commercials?  Have you ever contacted one of these "ACTUAL CONSUMERS" to verify their use of these drugs?  Can we all believe everything we see advertised on TV?  When I see a commercial for a new car I can go to any deaaler and see if it has all the features advertised.  When I see a new drug I can't look under the hood and see what's in it so I invesrigate and check all side effects and interactions.  Then decide if I want to take the drug.  This is the point of my post.

Bruce G Miller Sr
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I believe we are the only country in the world that allows drugs marketed on tv. Cutting out the  cost of those commercials alone would save money. Then shopping worldwide could also create competition.  Separating drug cost out from Medicare plans  like they do with Med supplements also allows people to pick plans more affordable. Americans are the best innovators in the world and we should use highly regulated certified agents in the field who are experts in Medicare instead of high cost government employees.  Agents,  independent ones, don’t get a salary nor benefits so they have to treat you well to keep you as a client in order to get paid a fee to run their practice. They use companies like  GoodRX as just one resource to help people all ages save on drug cost. And that they do probono! Yes we welcome government oversight but just like AARP,  they use an insurance carrier UHC and their certified agents to help their members get excellent Medicare products and support.  Working together both private and public we can save money. We are just too divided!  

0 Kudos

Drug/Pharmaceutical Companies are spending Billions of Dollars on Advertising as well as outrageous price increases for (1) the same drugs they've been selling for years; (2) paying huge unwarranted CEO & Exec Mangement income awards & benefits for (unearned) corporate returns & (3) buy-outs of other companies for their "Intellectual Property" that's still under protection for a few more years, rather than (a) fixing old medications that continue to cause harm, (b) supporting easy non-drug related healthcare approaches to eliminate common disease by instead (i) recommending healthy diets that eliminate processed foods containing high levels of sugar &/or sugar-free toxic chemicals to increase "sugar/sweet cravings" by replacing them with apple cider vinegar & water to balance blood sugar levels ending diabetes and acid reflux diseases, and (3) creating new medications at reasonable prices rather than increasing them by more than 400% a year.  STOP DRUG ADVERTISING!  IT DOES NO GOOD FOR THE MAJORITY OF PATIENTS AND U.S. CITIZENS WHO ARE THOSE FACING AN EVER-ESCALATING PRICE INCREASE FOR MEDICAITONS THEY CAN NOLONGER AFFORD!!!

0 Kudos
Gold Conversationalist

I despise those types of ads.  In effect, they claim to give you relief from a problem, but admit it might kill you in the process.  Well of course you will no longer have jumpylegs if you are six feet under!  Any time one of those ads comes on my TV I give it the old "mute button" treatment or else go to the refridge for a cold one!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think medicine that can only be obtained with a prescription is inappropriate for T.V.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I find it scary. The treatment is more deadly than the illness, due to some horrific side effects.

Contributor

Prescription drugs should NOT be advertised on TV or in magazines. Think how much less we might pay for drugs if the pharmaceutical companies didn't spend all that money on advertising. Besides, by the time I get through hearing all of the possible side effects, why would I want to take any of them?!

what does a spokes person know about my medical issues... there man on the street commercial is one.. this man is saying i should try this drug for ?heart disease?  if i need to take this drug shouldnt my doctor be the one to say take it.. not somebody who is getting paid to sell it.. plus all the money they spend on TV ads... i know the drug company reps sell the drugs to doctors for which the MD's prescribe them... i dont need any TV guy telling me what to medicine to take... yes banned commercials is OK with me... old enough to remember cigarette ads on TV and print...

Bronze Conversationalist

I don't watch television, so all I know about these ads is what I hear from others.  It seems that the pharmaceutical companies are pushing their wares on people, and rather than devulging all the facts, they just try to brainwash people into believing what these drugs "might" do for a person, and ignore explaining the side effects, many of which can be more life-threating than the disease they say they'll cure.  For every drug ad, I think there should be an opposing ad for a natural or a homeopathic remedy, and/or dietary or lifestyle changes that could help the disease with only positive side effects or no side effects at all, but the person wouldn't be any worse and could possibly eliminate their problem.  Do I think we'll ever see such ads?  No.  Why?  Because the pharmaceutical companies don't make any money off natural remedies or dietary and lifestyle changes, and they'll fight these ads with everything they've got!  

Contributor

To me they are a frightening signpost pointing toward out of control capitalism. These commercials are misleading, fear mongering, and ugliest face of greed.

Contributor

I was just talking about this with my doctor.   We were remembering the good old days when pharmaceutical companies could not advertise.   Now we just get advertisement but they are for drugs that are mostly new and too expensive for us to purchase.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think everyone has just about said it all. What I don't understand is why the FDA would approve those drugs that can create so many debilitating and, possibly, fatal medications. You take a drug for one ailment and end up with more or worse ones ... including death.

Personally, I'll deal with the pain before I expose my system to potentially fatal medications.

Pam (Gher) Jackson

"The writer is by nature a dreamer --- a conscious dreamer."
Carson McCullers
Conversationalist

I call it the Plague- get off those horrible drugs and yes, you can, if YOU WANT!

Im not on Drugs at all.  If you have high blood pressure- what are you eating? If you're u have diabetes- what are you eating?  There are foods that cause it, yes, try to break away from anything in a can, look at the salt content.  Don't eat dairy, it's causes cholesterol, you may be borderline, get off it and your free of it, no more drugs that upset the rest of the system.

Your salt intake should only be 10 mg a day.  So, what can I eat?  Eat fresh foods, yes, you may have to cook it but it takes 20 minutes, sometimes less.  If you like smoothies, put almonds or walnuts, green veggies, and a small piece of fruit just to get use of the taste, can add water or a nut milk, like hemp or almond. 

It's  time to explore the world of fresh foods and check out recipes that sound good, read the ingredients and try it.  If it's nasty, dump it, try another one.

Be a detective!

0 Kudos
Contributor

The one thing that most of the 'comments' seem to be ignoring, by focusing chiefly on 'cost' of drugs ... is that the vast majority of prescription medications are not designed to CURE anything?!  They are only designed to treat 'symptoms' but not cure anything ... and then, only if you continue taking them ... with more being added for each new symptom ... every single day for the rest of you life.  Does the prescription drug industry want to kill you??  Of course not.  Dead people quit buying drugs.  Does the prescription drug industry want to CURE you??  OF COURSE NOT ... as 'cured' people quit buying drugs.  Medicine's focus ... IF AT ALL POSSIBLE (?!) ... should be on CURING people and not CHIEFLY be on only treating symptoms!!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Thomas' remark on the purpose of most drugs is to treat, not cure, disease  symptoms or medical conditions.  If your cure a disease or eliminate a medical condition for a patient, the drug company looses that customer for life, and not due to death (unless the product caused a fatal outcome.)  Every customer lost is income lost.

The disclaimers that follow at the end of the pitch are there to try to mitigate possible lawsuits for damages done by the drug product.  The patient has been forewarned of possible undesireable outcomes, yet was obviously willing to take the risk.  

Another note, just what does it cost the drug companies to maintain very large legal departments?  Good attorneys do not come cheap.  Add that overhead $$ to the cost you pay for drugs.  - Jerry .

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I didn't go to medical school, and I'm not about to recomend what perscription drug I need. The only time I recomend a change is when there is a reaction to the drug.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

wIth all the side effects of some of these drugs they advertise I would be afraid to take them.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I can't imagine anyone saying they actually like these ads. Many of the drugs advertised are new and very expensive, often dangerous and less effective than older, less costly drugs. We pay for this advertising in the form of high drug prices. These ads need to be outlawed. Oh, but wait, the TV networks would lose revenue because who else could afford so much air time?

Contributor

My primary objection to the overwhelming number of drugs is the lack of candor regarding the true success rate of these drugs. Few if any are successful in even 10% of the cases. Additionally, the tremendous cost of many of these drugs result in the patient, if he/she survives, indigent or bankrupt. Hardly a pleasant outcome for someone just surviving a life threatening disease.

Contributor

Mute button is automatically engaged for all commercials. Sorry advertisers and I don't watch or listen. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I think they're very harmful.

Most of us are not knowledgeable enough to determine if these drugs are applicable to our health situation or if there is an alternative that would work as well.  That's what doctors are for.  

The pharmaceutical companies spend millions of dollars to recoup the millions of dollars they've spent on research, developing and promoting these drugs by advertising and giving samples to our doctors.  Then when our doctor gives us samples of a new medication that really works well, we find out that these new drugs are not covered by insurance. The last one I received would have cost me $379 per month.  Since we in the United States, pay more for these meds, why do we alone have to pay for these upfront costs?  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png