There's Always More to Discover With Your AARP Membership. Explore Your Member Benefits Today.

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: TV Commericals

Message 11 of 92

I'm sure the price of prescription drugs would be much lower if the drug companies cut back on advertising. Focus on educating the medical profession not the consumer. Thank goodness for the tv remote. I can either mute the drug commercials or change stations durng the breaks. My better half and I would never suggest a drug to our doctor. That's his/her job.

Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 92

Elaborating on Jerry's post; I think the legal profession has done more than its share to cause our health care issues. I didn't think about the cost of Big Pharma legal departments, but that is definitely a good point. Malpractice insurance is a major contributor to the cost of health care. This was brought about by high malpractice settlements, when the lawyers preyed on jurors' sympathies. Of course, these lawyers were getting a percentage of the settlement; if the lawyers had to work for a flat rate, the settlements wouldn't be as big. Malpractice settlements should be based on actual losses and reasonable losses anticipated due to long term future earnings, medical costs not covered by the victim's insurance, etc. It is not meant to be a get-rich-quick proposition. Practitioners should be held accountable, but not crucified, especially on an isolated incident; doctors in constant trouble is quite another matter.

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 92

Parmacuticle companies have as much right to advertise as much as anybody else.  While checking with your Doctor is alaways advisable, one might discover a product that would help take care of a certain condition you have, that the Doctor didn't think to mention.  And frankly I think it's stupid to have to list all the possible side affects.  It's like requiring an auto company telling you that you could die in an auto accident if you drove the car their selling.  Just put the side effects on the side of the container that the medecine comes in.  

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 92

I don't pay attention to those commercials. I have a great Dr. I trust

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 92

1) I can't emphasise enough - any and all commercials are only about MONEY!

2) Big Pharma ads deliberately play on the vulnerabilities/fears of folks; pain, death, loss of function, etc.

3) Big Pharma ads are making HYPOCHONDRIACS of ordinary people.

4) Most of their ads feature professional (commercial) actors; some use real patients. But rest assured, both categories are VERY HANDSOMELY REMUNERATED FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION.

5) Know that FDA is not in the business of controlling market prices, it barely makes the grade of approving drugs.

Conversationalist

Message 16 of 92

Are you sure there are "ACTUAL CONSUMERS" portrayed in these commercials?  Have you ever contacted one of these "ACTUAL CONSUMERS" to verify their use of these drugs?  Can we all believe everything we see advertised on TV?  When I see a commercial for a new car I can go to any deaaler and see if it has all the features advertised.  When I see a new drug I can't look under the hood and see what's in it so I invesrigate and check all side effects and interactions.  Then decide if I want to take the drug.  This is the point of my post.

Bruce G Miller Sr
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 92

It's a waste of moneand deives the costs up. Most people don't pay any attention to them anyway.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 92

I have posted two previous messages that deal, more or less,  with consumer purchases as a source of income for the pharmceutical industry.  They also get a lot of financial support from your financial investments,   Want to take a bold move? Investigate which industries and plans  your money is invested in.  If you hold stocks and/or mutual funds that include Big Pharma investments, you could try to find alternate places to put your money.  Hit the industry where it hurts, cut off its food supply.  Get enough people behind this strategy to send a clear message that you do not want to do business with them.  - Jerry

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 92

Thomas' remark on the purpose of most drugs is to treat, not cure, disease  symptoms or medical conditions.  If your cure a disease or eliminate a medical condition for a patient, the drug company looses that customer for life, and not due to death (unless the product caused a fatal outcome.)  Every customer lost is income lost.

The disclaimers that follow at the end of the pitch are there to try to mitigate possible lawsuits for damages done by the drug product.  The patient has been forewarned of possible undesireable outcomes, yet was obviously willing to take the risk.  

Another note, just what does it cost the drug companies to maintain very large legal departments?  Good attorneys do not come cheap.  Add that overhead $$ to the cost you pay for drugs.  - Jerry .

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 20 of 92

I agree that TOO MUCH  advertising does reflect in the cost of the medications. 

I am however grateful to see the commercials that use ACTUAL CONSUMERS. I don't mind receiving a true depiction of the improvement of quality of their life with the introduction of the medication.  The commercials with actor portrayal and SIDE EFFECT voice over information can be more frightening then promotional.

I am actually on a certain medication and I choose to  MUTE the ad due to the "side effect" warnings.

I dont think Drug Companies should be allowed to overcharge in the first years of a newly released drug.  The Research and Development  is not always perfect.  We have seen drugs released and pulled due to problems. There should be stricter regulations for control on the initial  profits with newly released Medications.

NENE