When should you get your annual flu shot? AARP has advice for you.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 11 of 93

To billham68. Your post triggered an old memory. My wife was being treated for a number of ailments, especially diabetes and high blood pressure, both of which lead to other complications. Her Doctor, whose daughter just happened to be an Rx salesperson, offered to prescribe a certain medication to her. I don't remember what the medication was and what it intended to treat. My wife told him she didn't want that drug and he gave her a "funny" look. She explained she had only one liver.

Six months later, he apologied. He said he had no idea how bad that drug was.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 93

I'm sure the price of prescription drugs would be much lower if the drug companies cut back on advertising. Focus on educating the medical profession not the consumer. Thank goodness for the tv remote. I can either mute the drug commercials or change stations durng the breaks. My better half and I would never suggest a drug to our doctor. That's his/her job.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 93

Elaborating on Jerry's post; I think the legal profession has done more than its share to cause our health care issues. I didn't think about the cost of Big Pharma legal departments, but that is definitely a good point. Malpractice insurance is a major contributor to the cost of health care. This was brought about by high malpractice settlements, when the lawyers preyed on jurors' sympathies. Of course, these lawyers were getting a percentage of the settlement; if the lawyers had to work for a flat rate, the settlements wouldn't be as big. Malpractice settlements should be based on actual losses and reasonable losses anticipated due to long term future earnings, medical costs not covered by the victim's insurance, etc. It is not meant to be a get-rich-quick proposition. Practitioners should be held accountable, but not crucified, especially on an isolated incident; doctors in constant trouble is quite another matter.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 93

Parmacuticle companies have as much right to advertise as much as anybody else.  While checking with your Doctor is alaways advisable, one might discover a product that would help take care of a certain condition you have, that the Doctor didn't think to mention.  And frankly I think it's stupid to have to list all the possible side affects.  It's like requiring an auto company telling you that you could die in an auto accident if you drove the car their selling.  Just put the side effects on the side of the container that the medecine comes in.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 93

I don't pay attention to those commercials. I have a great Dr. I trust

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 93

1) I can't emphasise enough - any and all commercials are only about MONEY!

2) Big Pharma ads deliberately play on the vulnerabilities/fears of folks; pain, death, loss of function, etc.

3) Big Pharma ads are making HYPOCHONDRIACS of ordinary people.

4) Most of their ads feature professional (commercial) actors; some use real patients. But rest assured, both categories are VERY HANDSOMELY REMUNERATED FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION.

5) Know that FDA is not in the business of controlling market prices, it barely makes the grade of approving drugs.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 93

Are you sure there are "ACTUAL CONSUMERS" portrayed in these commercials?  Have you ever contacted one of these "ACTUAL CONSUMERS" to verify their use of these drugs?  Can we all believe everything we see advertised on TV?  When I see a commercial for a new car I can go to any deaaler and see if it has all the features advertised.  When I see a new drug I can't look under the hood and see what's in it so I invesrigate and check all side effects and interactions.  Then decide if I want to take the drug.  This is the point of my post.

Bruce G Miller Sr
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 93

It's a waste of moneand deives the costs up. Most people don't pay any attention to them anyway.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 93

I have posted two previous messages that deal, more or less,  with consumer purchases as a source of income for the pharmceutical industry.  They also get a lot of financial support from your financial investments,   Want to take a bold move? Investigate which industries and plans  your money is invested in.  If you hold stocks and/or mutual funds that include Big Pharma investments, you could try to find alternate places to put your money.  Hit the industry where it hurts, cut off its food supply.  Get enough people behind this strategy to send a clear message that you do not want to do business with them.  - Jerry

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 93

Thomas' remark on the purpose of most drugs is to treat, not cure, disease  symptoms or medical conditions.  If your cure a disease or eliminate a medical condition for a patient, the drug company looses that customer for life, and not due to death (unless the product caused a fatal outcome.)  Every customer lost is income lost.

The disclaimers that follow at the end of the pitch are there to try to mitigate possible lawsuits for damages done by the drug product.  The patient has been forewarned of possible undesireable outcomes, yet was obviously willing to take the risk.  

Another note, just what does it cost the drug companies to maintain very large legal departments?  Good attorneys do not come cheap.  Add that overhead $$ to the cost you pay for drugs.  - Jerry .

Kudos
Views