10 things you need to know before voting in the midterm election. Find out more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 31 of 93

I don't like them for all the reasons everyone is saying. I find them distasteful and stressful. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 93

what does a spokes person know about my medical issues... there man on the street commercial is one.. this man is saying i should try this drug for ?heart disease?  if i need to take this drug shouldnt my doctor be the one to say take it.. not somebody who is getting paid to sell it.. plus all the money they spend on TV ads... i know the drug company reps sell the drugs to doctors for which the MD's prescribe them... i dont need any TV guy telling me what to medicine to take... yes banned commercials is OK with me... old enough to remember cigarette ads on TV and print...

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 93

I don't watch television, so all I know about these ads is what I hear from others.  It seems that the pharmaceutical companies are pushing their wares on people, and rather than devulging all the facts, they just try to brainwash people into believing what these drugs "might" do for a person, and ignore explaining the side effects, many of which can be more life-threating than the disease they say they'll cure.  For every drug ad, I think there should be an opposing ad for a natural or a homeopathic remedy, and/or dietary or lifestyle changes that could help the disease with only positive side effects or no side effects at all, but the person wouldn't be any worse and could possibly eliminate their problem.  Do I think we'll ever see such ads?  No.  Why?  Because the pharmaceutical companies don't make any money off natural remedies or dietary and lifestyle changes, and they'll fight these ads with everything they've got!  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 93

To me they are a frightening signpost pointing toward out of control capitalism. These commercials are misleading, fear mongering, and ugliest face of greed.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 93

Recently I overheard a tourist who, hearing someone complain of leg cramps, said to no one in particular: “Americans have at least three (3) different pills for any given ailment.” How astute!

But isn’t it true? Aspirin vs Tylenol vs Advil vs Ibuprofen = all analgesics. Are they so different? Is one really better than the other? No, just products of competing drug firms.

Today drug ads vie with cars, foods, services and all else. I abhor all commercials. Sadly, it is they that fund the operations of cable, radio, TV, cellphone companies, etc.

So, caveat emptor. Drug adverts are only about money not interested in curing anyone.

Aware of drugs’ harmful side effects, Big Pharma knows patients trust doctors and will take drugs to lessen the ill effects of the first, etc. The tragedy is, no one questions. Very few look up advised drugs via the internet or ask a pharmacist about efficacy and interactions.

Doctors are not infallible; one cannot always blame them. Routinely overworked with little time to pay undivided attention to the drug houses reps dispensing newest samples. Notably the single-field docs have a narrow focus involving only drugs having to do with their specialty (i.e.: pulmonologists).

Note that drug adverts always state (I paraphrase) – “be sure you tell your doctor all the drugs you are taking,” implying a patient may have several doctors who don’t know of each other’s existence.

Ever more drugs are chained together, each intended to counteract the one before. Small wonder that many fall prey to ills they didn’t have to begin with; all due to the constant intake of chemicals human body was not intended to ingest in the first place.  

It’s a self-perpetuating cycle, enriching Big Pharma at the expense of patients whose original health condition is often compromised.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 93

I was just talking about this with my doctor.   We were remembering the good old days when pharmaceutical companies could not advertise.   Now we just get advertisement but they are for drugs that are mostly new and too expensive for us to purchase.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 93

I think everyone has just about said it all. What I don't understand is why the FDA would approve those drugs that can create so many debilitating and, possibly, fatal medications. You take a drug for one ailment and end up with more or worse ones ... including death.

Personally, I'll deal with the pain before I expose my system to potentially fatal medications.

Pam (Gher) Jackson

"The writer is by nature a dreamer --- a conscious dreamer."
Carson McCullers
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 93

tv is over commericalze the commericals take up more time then the regular program so i do not watch tv much anymore

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 93

I call it the Plague- get off those horrible drugs and yes, you can, if YOU WANT!

Im not on Drugs at all.  If you have high blood pressure- what are you eating? If you're u have diabetes- what are you eating?  There are foods that cause it, yes, try to break away from anything in a can, look at the salt content.  Don't eat dairy, it's causes cholesterol, you may be borderline, get off it and your free of it, no more drugs that upset the rest of the system.

Your salt intake should only be 10 mg a day.  So, what can I eat?  Eat fresh foods, yes, you may have to cook it but it takes 20 minutes, sometimes less.  If you like smoothies, put almonds or walnuts, green veggies, and a small piece of fruit just to get use of the taste, can add water or a nut milk, like hemp or almond. 

It's  time to explore the world of fresh foods and check out recipes that sound good, read the ingredients and try it.  If it's nasty, dump it, try another one.

Be a detective!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 93

Adds for medicines are not truly helpful for the average person and are part of the reason why the pharmaceutical companies have such exorbitant pricing for their prescription drugs. They should be banned from all advertising means.

Kudos
Views