Regular Social Butterfly

TV Commericals

I said the same thing to my Grand Daughter, that I never saw so many medicines and medical products on TV. They weren't on like this when I was young, so she said maybe it's because it's I'm older now. I said I don't think so !!

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Honored Social Butterfly

@angeleyes64 - Yes, I agree with you. Ads for prescription drugs and medical products are mostly a 21st century thing. I think that's one reason our scripts are so expensive; not the only reason, but certainly a factor. 

I have to say, it's a little amusing to see that they have to read all of the disclaimers and potential side effects. After hearing that it might just kill you, I think, why would anyone want to take it? !!

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Contributor

tv is over commericalze the commericals take up more time then the regular program so i do not watch tv much anymore

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree that the TV commercials run up the cost of drugs unnessesarily.

It is important to note that doctors get very scant education about pharmaceuticals during their schooling and usually only know what they can pull up on their epad and what the sales people tell them,

Before you agree to any of the medications with known severe side effects, the best place to get advice is from you phamacist.  They will know vstly more than your doctor about side effects, interactikons, etc.

0 Kudos

I agree that this all the ads are reflected in the high cost we pay.

Periodic Contributor

In my case specifically the ads don’t show truth. I have severe Rheumatoid Disease and the ads for all the biologic medications show people playing soccer, or doing a lot of physical activity. The truth about severe RA/RD is that even with the medications getting out of bed is a struggle.

If my medication is not truth, how many others are that way. These medications are also very expensive about $5000 a month. If doctors diagnose and treat patients why do we need these ads. As Pain meds are now being removed from a doctors opinion, why not everything? This is not to be negative at all just truth has been made obsolete lately.

Regular Contributor

Recently I overheard a tourist who, hearing someone complain of leg cramps, said to no one in particular: “Americans have at least three (3) different pills for any given ailment.” How astute!

But isn’t it true? Aspirin vs Tylenol vs Advil vs Ibuprofen = all analgesics. Are they so different? Is one really better than the other? No, just products of competing drug firms.

Today drug ads vie with cars, foods, services and all else. I abhor all commercials. Sadly, it is they that fund the operations of cable, radio, TV, cellphone companies, etc.

So, caveat emptor. Drug adverts are only about money not interested in curing anyone.

Aware of drugs’ harmful side effects, Big Pharma knows patients trust doctors and will take drugs to lessen the ill effects of the first, etc. The tragedy is, no one questions. Very few look up advised drugs via the internet or ask a pharmacist about efficacy and interactions.

Doctors are not infallible; one cannot always blame them. Routinely overworked with little time to pay undivided attention to the drug houses reps dispensing newest samples. Notably the single-field docs have a narrow focus involving only drugs having to do with their specialty (i.e.: pulmonologists).

Note that drug adverts always state (I paraphrase) – “be sure you tell your doctor all the drugs you are taking,” implying a patient may have several doctors who don’t know of each other’s existence.

Ever more drugs are chained together, each intended to counteract the one before. Small wonder that many fall prey to ills they didn’t have to begin with; all due to the constant intake of chemicals human body was not intended to ingest in the first place.  

It’s a self-perpetuating cycle, enriching Big Pharma at the expense of patients whose original health condition is often compromised.  

It's interesting that all the intelligent responses have negative opinions on drug ads.  Not only do they drive up our costs significantly, they really are not informative at all.  Big pharma is counting on patients to recognize drug names and think that they are somehow better.   I feel the same about print ads in newspapers and magazines.   I doubt anyone reads then but it does drive up our costs.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not only are all the pharma commercials boring (they don't even use clever ad agency tactics) but they are aired at the most expensive marketing times. They could use the money for research, trials and productive pricing. I'm not qualified to judge what drugs are appropriate for me. That's why I have a physician.

Contributor

Adds for medicines are not truly helpful for the average person and are part of the reason why the pharmaceutical companies have such exorbitant pricing for their prescription drugs. They should be banned from all advertising means.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png