Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 41 of 93

I agree with most of what has been said on the topic of TV commercials for pharmaceuticals, but interestingly, I have not seen anyone mention the fact that our eyes are far more instrumental in our thoughts than our ears.  In other words, all of the time they are rapidly talking about the required disclaimers that might happen to you, if you take the drug they are promoting, including death, they are showing you pictures and videos of loving families having loving times and enjoying the times of their lives.  How does that work?  They know that your eyes are remembering far more than the ears are hearing.

I think the overall concept is deplorable and it is totally driven toward money in the pharmaceutical company profits and has nothing to do with what is best for us.  I frankly, have great doctors, and rely on them to know what drugs, if any, are best for whatever condition I might have.  The notion that I would walk into my doctor's office and say, that I saw a drug advertised on TV and everyone who took it seemed to be having a great time, so I want some too, is insane.  Obviously, that type of advertising is within the guidelines of the FCC, or whoever controls TV advertising, and that is greatly influenced by the huge pharmaceutical lobby, and that is influenced by the amount of money pumped into the political system.  We, as individuals, don't have a chance, except to use our common sense and try to vote to correct problems.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 93

Those ads are useless to the average person. I'm not really sure what some of them do. I prefer to hear the suggestion from my doctor, and be able to ask him questions about the drug, it's side effects etc. It would be nice if those hugh advertizing dollars would be used to LOWER the costs of the drugs to the patient and not used give big  bonuses to their own excutives.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 93

The one thing that most of the 'comments' seem to be ignoring, by focusing chiefly on 'cost' of drugs ... is that the vast majority of prescription medications are not designed to CURE anything?!  They are only designed to treat 'symptoms' but not cure anything ... and then, only if you continue taking them ... with more being added for each new symptom ... every single day for the rest of you life.  Does the prescription drug industry want to kill you??  Of course not.  Dead people quit buying drugs.  Does the prescription drug industry want to CURE you??  OF COURSE NOT ... as 'cured' people quit buying drugs.  Medicine's focus ... IF AT ALL POSSIBLE (?!) ... should be on CURING people and not CHIEFLY be on only treating symptoms!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 93

I didn't go to medical school, and I'm not about to recomend what perscription drug I need. The only time I recomend a change is when there is a reaction to the drug.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 93

wIth all the side effects of some of these drugs they advertise I would be afraid to take them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 93

One of the reason we don't watch commercial tv anymore

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 93

I can't imagine anyone saying they actually like these ads. Many of the drugs advertised are new and very expensive, often dangerous and less effective than older, less costly drugs. We pay for this advertising in the form of high drug prices. These ads need to be outlawed. Oh, but wait, the TV networks would lose revenue because who else could afford so much air time?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 93

My primary objection to the overwhelming number of drugs is the lack of candor regarding the true success rate of these drugs. Few if any are successful in even 10% of the cases. Additionally, the tremendous cost of many of these drugs result in the patient, if he/she survives, indigent or bankrupt. Hardly a pleasant outcome for someone just surviving a life threatening disease.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 93

Mute button is automatically engaged for all commercials. Sorry advertisers and I don't watch or listen. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 93

There are so many reasons for advertisizing and so many types of audiences to reach, I don't want to try to sort it out. What I find weird, is their advice to stop taking them if you start throwing up, or blood squirts of your ears.

Kudos
Views