Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 61 of 93

I have several issues with these commercials. One is the way that they gloss over the potential side effects, like strokes, cancer, death, etc. are just minor annoyances. Truely appalling!

Speaking of side effects, these ads are typically for drugs that are relatively new. Since clincal trials take place for a limited period of time with a limited number of participants, the real effects of drugs (both good and bad) are not really known until they have been on the market for at least 10 years. Requesting one of these drugs when they are new to the market essentially makes you a guinea pig. Now, if you have a terminal illness, you might be willing to accept the risk, but many of these drugs are not cancer drugs.

Another issue I have is that they always say "ask your doctor about x drug" There are thousands of drugs on the market. Doctors do not have the time to learn about all of them. All doctors really know is what their pharmaceutical sales rep tells them. And, the sales rep is just out to make a sale so they can get their commission.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 93

A friend from South America noted that half of our commercials were for drugs and the other half for lawyers suing drug companies.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 93

I am in total agreement with the idea that these commercials can cause too many people more anxiety.  In one way they seem to be pushing the drugs, and the only up side is listening to the "side effects"  The actors always seem positive, but just thinking about how easy it is to get a busy doctor to forget and prescribe unnecessary drugs is horrible.    

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 93

I was a pharmacist before becoming a hospital administrator for forty years.  Many of the comments about this article are right on!  The pharmaceutical industry has politically bought the right to advertise and the hugh sums they spend on ads must be working.  Other countries don't allow this kind ot self-promotion, nor do they have the very high costs of medications.  I feel for those who have healthcare issues these drug ads are aimed at, but this is simply urging patients to tell their physician what they want, instead of allowing healthcare providers to discuss treatment options and, together with the patient, deciding on a treatment course.  Want to do something?  Discuss with your representatives in Congress, tell them they shouldn't be accepting Big Pharma campaign money.  And mute those ads, like I do.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 93

Prescription drugs should never be advertised on TV.  It encourages people to ask their doctors for prescriptions that are most likely more expensive than their current med, and hasn't had the test of time. Sometimes it's years before a drug is found to cause worse problems that what it's intended to treat.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 93

I hate all those commercials for drugs.  They are exceedingly expensive and have too many bad side effects.  If I need to see my doctor, he/she should know what I need.  If drug companies didn’t waste so much in advertising, our drug costs could be lower and more affordable.  It’s doctors they need to market to, not us.  Does anyone notice that there are more drug ads during the evening news programs than any other programs?  That’s because older people watch the news more than younger ones.  It seems like that to me.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 93

After watching so many TV commercials for new drugs, I don't want to take any drugs, new or old.  Does everyone pay close attention to the WARNINGS ?  And SIDE EFFECTS ?  Why would anyone take any of these drugs.  I know there are many conditions that warrant taking drugs and many people are greatful for some relief. But it seems like some would be trading one condition in for two new ones ! And then there are the Lawyer commercials (although not selling Drugs) telling you if you have taken drug ABC and experienced this, that or the other thing, including DEATH, call XYZ Law firm because you may be eligible for a cash settlement !  It's like take the drugs and spin the wheel. In the long run, what are we supposed to do?  And remember "The benefits outweigh the risks...."

Bruce G Miller Sr
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 93

I find that doctors are prescribing medicines advertised on TV more and more frequently.  When I ask for a generic at the pharmacy the cost of the generic  is often considerably lower, that is, when a generic is available.

I do understand that the phamaceutical companies need to recoup some of the money that is invested in research, but I really do think that wasting money on mindless commercials is a bad idea.  By the way, has anyone noticed that all the commercials, for whatever medicines are being advertised, look exactly the same?  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 93

Drug ad cost was at 5.4 Billion dollars at the end of 2016 and has risen since. Over 800,000 ads were placed in 2017. Why are the ads allowed on the air other than pharmacutical lobbying ( over 240 Million spent at the end of 2016) and the money in political pockets. This information should be given by your physician when he feels that particular drug is necessary. All the ads do is promote an unhealthy mindset of "This is what I need next". Then some will run to their physician and ask for the latest and greatest. Put trhat 5.4 Billion dollars back in the consumers pocket and improve the lives of those truly needing the help.Drain the swamp....right...not when the alligators are in charge.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 93

The costs of just about every prescription medication that a Doctor might order for a patient is based on  2 main factors: (a) Drug Companies need to show stock holders they are making money - and - (b) The rates they are paying Radio, TV and even Newspapers to air/print their advertisements. I wonder how fast costs for medications would drop if there was some way to prevent any Drug Company from advsertising any of their products until after they have received FDA approval.

Kudos
Views