From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 71 of 93
Amen!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 93

I find the advertising for drugs very troubling.  Doctors are educated in medical school.  Many peple see these commercials, listen to the reason for taking a medication, self-diagnose themselves and ask a doctor to prescribe a particlilar drug for them.  I would be wary of any doctor that did this for a patient - who was educated in medical school - the doctor or the patient? 

Question:  Do doctors receive kick-backs/gifts for prescribing medications?  (It would be very easy for drug companies to get that info from the pharmacies who have the prescriptions turned in to them.)

IF a patient is honest with their doctor, the doctor is able to prescribe a medication for the patient's reason for seeing the doctor.  The article about "What Doctors wish Their Patients Knew" is very enlightening.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 93

This advertising is divisive and being targeted at audience who lack the knowledge to understand the appropriate use of these drugs. Physicians have spent years in school to even get a basic understanding of the complexities of how drugs work and the proper use of them. The adds also, have a subliminal suggestion of the aches and pains one may have. The complexities of pharmacology is vast and most of us are not educated enough to make informed decisions about them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 93

Most of the commercials offer no real benefits to taking a particular drug.  By the time I find out what the side effects are,  I feel that it wouldn't be worth taking.  Also they come up with a drug and it doesn't do what the pharmaceutical companies expected it to do, so they seem to make up a disease to fit the drug.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 93

I think they should be illegal.  They increase the cost of Rxs and can confuse people.  A person's MD should be the one to recommend Rxs.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 93

I hate them with a passion! Born 7/4/1951 meant only aspirin, heartburn, toothpaste, etc. When I watched tv with my Nanny Helen in the Bronx (born there), there was never any thought that a 3 year old girl couldn't hang out and see anything inappropriate. My great-gran ruled the roost since the family came here during the famine. I still live here and am offended by this **bleep**. I know Grandma Hannigan (nee Twomey) is somewhere muttering very bad words and Nanny is bewildered.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 93

I agree with all who have posted that the ads annoying and definitely contribute to the higher cost of prescription meds.  How else will the company pay for the ads if they don’t charge us more?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 93

@kenlin1951 wrote:

I agree with all of you that there are an excessive amount of medical ads on television. Each time an ad comes on I cringe, especially ones that refer to illnesses that I am or have endured. They are a continuous reminder of the pain and agony that people go through. We do not need to be constantly told about any drugs or treatment and how sick it may make us. Our medical team should be our source of information. What can we do to change this disgusting situation!!

Cue AARP . . . This is where you come in. Help us get petitions to Big Pharma and to Congress to stop this nonsense. There seems to be a consensus going here.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 93

Think if a doctor ever recommended a medical product you see advertised on TV I would tell the Dr. to give me an older less effective medicine out of spite.

I have Comcast TV and pay a little extra for the DVR.  Record everything I want to watch and fast-forward through all commercials.  If I had to watch TV without the DVR I would probably end up sticking needles in my eyes.  Prime TV and Netflix also help to avoid that garbage.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 93

Advertising products that you can walk into a store and purchase anytime you choose without getting someone's permission makes sense.  Advertising presciption drugs makes no sense.  Only two countries allow drug manufactures to advertise prescription products on TV:  the US and New Zealand.  It used to be illegal here.  But the drug companies, by fattening politicians' campaign chests, managed to buy the right to advertise on TV.  These same pharmaceutical companies are trying to get out of listing all of the side effect disclaimers (negative influence on the consumer do you suppose?).  And of course, this ups the cost of the drugs and they get an advertising tax deduction bonus as well!  This nonsense needs to stop.  Oh, and let us not forget that we can no longer by pharmaceuticals from other counties, so Big Pharma has a captive market - NO COMPETITOIN.  Ya' gott'a love collusion to create a monopoly.  There is nothing wrong with the drugs produced in GB, France, Germany and India.  They are just as safe with the same efficy as US compounds.  Time to press you congressonal reps to look out for our interests, not a monopoly industry.  -- Jerry

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors