Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: TV Commericals

Message 81 of 93

WHY can't we stop having pharmaceutical commercials?    Who's getting paid off?  It seems all agree that we don't want them.  Now, who do we approach on this?  We need to LOWER drug prices and discuss w our doctors, not our TV.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 93

I agree with all of you that there are an excessive amount of medical ads on television. Each time an ad comes on I cringe, especially ones that refer to illnesses that I am or have endured. They are a continuous reminder of the pain and agony that people go through. We do not need to be constantly told about any drugs or treatment and how sick it may make us. Our medical team should be our source of information. What can we do to change this disgusting situation!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 93

Not only are all the pharma commercials boring (they don't even use clever ad agency tactics) but they are aired at the most expensive marketing times. They could use the money for research, trials and productive pricing. I'm not qualified to judge what drugs are appropriate for me. That's why I have a physician.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 93

Ads for drugs should be banned--as they used to be. If tobacco ads can be forbidden, why not pharmaceuticals? The amount of money spent on advertising adds greatly to the cost of drugs and encourages people to badger their doctors to prescribe them. It's amazing how many 'new' diseases have been invented to provide a market for drugs that cause more symptoms than the problem they were supposed to fix. Then people have to take yet another drug to counter the effects of the first, etc.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 93

On the positive side, we do get exposure to a plethora of, potentially, helpful drugs that we may not otherwise be aware of.

On the negative, the total marketing costs, of which advertising is only a part, make our drugs the most expensive in the world. 

This bombardment of drug advertising could well lead us to self diagnose and ask our physicians to prescribe meds that we don't really need. It's interesting to find that countries where prescription drug advertising is banned, not only have cheaper meds, but their life expectancy is no better than ours.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 93

I think the commercials are simply to increase sales; increase profits just as tobacco and alcohol, sugar cereals etc have done to influence behavior and create demand - especially those with patents.   I find this disheartening ethically and a reflection that if it makes money for the big corps nothing is out of bounds, they have a right to Sell.  Funny cartoon I saw:  If you tell your doctor what medicine to prescribe doesnt that make him your drug dealer?  Interesting how Pharmaceutical profits can bypass MD or Nurse Practitioner wholistic knowledge and decision making to give you the best advice and treatments.  Next it will be marijuana and CBD products.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 93

I agree that this all the ads are reflected in the high cost we pay.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 93

I think there are way too many commercials about drugs that we should only discuss with a competent physician. Not be swayed by comments by companies trying to sell their product actually before they are thoroughly tested for future side effects.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 93

These commercials drive me crazy. First of all it's costly for pharmaceutical companies to pay for these ads. Which in turn cost us more. Besides I don't want to hear about all of these things that are going to kill me . I'm going to die one day anyway and I certainly don't want a medicine that's going to do it sooner. I generally agree with everyone else.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 93

@angeleyes64 - Yes, I agree with you. Ads for prescription drugs and medical products are mostly a 21st century thing. I think that's one reason our scripts are so expensive; not the only reason, but certainly a factor. 

I have to say, it's a little amusing to see that they have to read all of the disclaimers and potential side effects. After hearing that it might just kill you, I think, why would anyone want to take it? !!

Kudos
Views