Take control of your brain health as you age. Visit Staying Sharp — it's free for AARP members.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Saints & Strangers (NGC)

Message 11 of 21
@MsStretch wrote:

Funny, but every time I saw Massasoit played by Raoul Trujillo, I kept flashing on Wes Studi as Magua in Last of the Mohicanssmile 

Interesting comparison! Wes Studi is a full-blooded Cherokee. Raoul Trujillo has a fascinating background (from IMDB): IMDB: Raoul Trujillo. An excerpt:

"Raoul Max Trujillo, aka Raoul Maximiano Trujillo de Chauvelon was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He is a mixed blood descendant of Apache,Comanche, Pueblo, Tlascalan, French-Canadian, Sephardic Jew and Andalusian Moor. After high school, he spent three years serving in the military in Germany. After his discharge, he worked as an alpine ski instructor in Taos, New Mexico. .."

He then got into the theater and became a professional dancer, and began incorporating Native American culture into it.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

@gatorgorilla wrote:

I watched the 2-hour American Experience program, "Pilgrims", last night on PBS.   I thought it was excellent, particularly when we heard the Native American perspective from Native Americans themselves, as historians.  It was an eye-opener - certainly not the  "Pilgrim" story I learned back in grade school!

Dammit, I missed it. On Demand, here I come.

Happy Thanksgiving! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

@gatorgorilla wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

Saints & Strangersq-link is a 2-night movie event about the first Thanksgiving and the struggles between the settlers and Indians which premieres tonight at 9/8C on the National Geographic Channelq-link.

Looks promising, so I'm definitely tuning in.

@MsStretch   -   Thanks for bringing this movie to our attention - I was happy to have something new to watch!  I saw both parts last night - found the production interesting, but I wasn't riveted to TV screen, as I can be with some shows.

You seemed so enthused about this movie, MsStretch, so am wondering:  what did you think of it?  Was it all you had hoped for?

And btw, Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you & all the other posters here!    Pam

Yes, I agree. I was not riveted to the TV screen lest I miss something, but I did enjoy it. And I know it is TV, but everyone seemed a little too 'pretty' considering the hardships (but of course, you can't have ugly, ravaged, filthy characters on family television).

Funny, but every time I saw Massasoit played by Raoul Trujillo, I kept flashing on Wes Studi as Magua in Last of the Mohicanssmiling at comparison

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21
@gatorgorilla wrote:

I watched the 2-hour American Experience program, "Pilgrims", last night on PBS.   I thought it was excellent, particularly when we heard the Native American perspective from Native Americans themselves, as historians.  It was an eye-opener - certainly not the  "Pilgrim" story I learned back in grade school!

I wish I'd stayed awake thru it! Also as a comparison to "Saints & Sinners"!

Can you share a little more about it?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

@MsStretch wrote:

Saints & Strangersq-link is a 2-night movie event about the first Thanksgiving and the struggles between the settlers and Indians which premieres tonight at 9/8C on the National Geographic Channelq-link.

@MsStretch   -   Thanks for bringing this movie to our attention - I was happy to have something new to watch!  I saw both parts last night - found the production interesting, but I wasn't riveted to TV screen, as I can be with some shows.

You seemed so enthused about this movie, MsStretch, so am wondering:  what did you think of it?  Was it all you had hoped for?

And btw, Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you & all the other posters here!    Pam

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

I watched part of the 2 back-to-back episodes last night, but I found that the English subtitles when the native Americans spoke, were difficult to read. You'd think that they'd have found a way technically, to have the print in a color with the most contrast to the background .. but they don't. So the writing is in white .. which is fine for a dark background, but not if the scene changes to a light background. I also found it smallish. After a while, my eyes felt too strained to watch. This might be something better watched up close on the computer.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

Smiley Very Happy  I'm definitely enjoying watching Vincent Kartheiser as William Bradford, after watching him for so many years as the insipid-looking Pete Campbell on "Mad Men".

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

gatorgorilla wrote:

On Tuesday night, on PBS, "American Experience" will present a new 2-hr episode, "The Pilgrims", which also will touch on first Thanksgiving, I believe.

This one looks interesting too. Thanks for the heads-up.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

@MsStretch wrote:

Thanks for posting about this event, MsStretch.  I was totally unaware of it & I'd like to take a look.

Sunday night I was busy watching Walking Dead & Talking Dead on AMC.  Hope to catch "Saints & Sinners" when it is repeated Monday night, or maybe it will be available "On Demand".

On Tuesday night, on PBS, "American Experience" will present a new 2-hr episode, "The Pilgrims", which also will touch on first Thanksgiving, I believe.

Kudos
Views