Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: PBS WE'LL MEET AGAIN with ANN CURRY

Message 1 of 8

This 9-1-1 episode was even more emotional than the other ones I've watched. My eyes were glued to the screen the whole hour. One of the stories was about a Michigan business man who happened to be in NYC, staying at the Marriot that was between the 2 towers, on September 11, 2001.

He was searching for the photographer's assistant who happened to be helping with the senior photos at Stuyvesant High School. After the first tower was hit, he hurried out to the street where everyone was told to walk away in a certain direction. He ended up outside this school and someone beckoned him in off the street.

The senior school photos were still being taken even though they were aware of what happened. So he slumped against a wall in the hallway and a young woman came up to him and said, "You look like you need a hug."

So he was trying to find her (Emily) to thank her, 16 years later. He located the photography store where she was based, but the owner said that 9-1-1 was her last day. She didn't want to be in the city anymore after the disaster. They had no trail or info about her, but he knew her name and did end up getting some help and finding and meeting with her.

The other story involved a military chaplain in DC when the Pentagon was hit. He had been home with his kids when he got the call and hurried down to see what he could do. He saw that the plane had bisected the very area where his office was.There was a crew from Tennesse about to attempt rescue/recovery and they just couldn't go in there without some spiritual guidance, so he gathered them and recited the 23rd Psalm and almost broke down before finishing. They went on to do what they were there for and he went into the chaplain's tent that was set up on the grounds of the Pentagon. He just fell apart and was approached by a Coast Guard chaplain who helped him gather himself together.

So he was in search of this Coast Guard chaplain, to thank him, and didn't even know his name. Through photos and other trails, he finally arranged to meet the other chaplain in a church in NYC.

Both of these stories were so poignant. I had tears looking at the footage of the disaster.

This show is so good.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted

Message 2 of 8

From previews I saw last night after watching Victoria, it looks like tomorrow night's show will feature some people trying to reconnect after the 9-1-1 disaster.

Message 3 of 8

I missed the 3rd episode of this and haven't had a chance to see if I can catch it online.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8

Dame Vera Lynn singing WWII classic "We'll Meet Again". On March 20th, Dame Vera will be 100 years old!! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

Message 5 of 8

The second episode dealt with two people trying to find the person who saved them during the eruption of Mt. St. Helens back in 1980. One woman finally got to reunite with the helicopter National Guardsman who rescued her and in turn, inspired her to join the National Guard where she spent her career. The other woman met the sister of the geologist who knew people needed to evacuate immediately and saved many lives.

Message 6 of 8

@nyadrn, I think you'd enjoy this! Cat Happy N.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8

catwoman500 wrote:

Did anyone happen to watch the first episode of this last night?

It was so well done. I had tears several times as 2 people tried to reconnect with people from their pasts who had a great influence on their lives. Both of these stories went back to the World War II era. One was a Japanese American woman trying to find her childhood friend who had been so good to her before and after the Internment.

The other was a Jewish man trying to find the daughter of a family who had shaped his life when they had been sent to Shanghai during the Nazi reign.

It's similar to the ancestry shows such as Who Do You Think You Are, but better.

It's nice to see Ann Curry doing what she does so well.

I will watch this again. It airs here in Philly on Tuesdays at 8:00. N.

No I didn’t watch it but it sounds good!  Thanks for the recap!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

PBS WE'LL MEET AGAIN with ANN CURRY

Message 8 of 8

Did anyone happen to watch the first episode of this last night?

It was so well done. I had tears several times as 2 people tried to reconnect with people from their pasts who had a great influence on their lives. Both of these stories went back to the World War II era. One was a Japanese American woman trying to find her childhood friend who had been so good to her before and after the Internment.

The other was a Jewish man trying to find the daughter of a family who had shaped his life when they had been sent to Shanghai during the Nazi reign.

It's similar to the ancestry shows such as Who Do You Think You Are, but better.

It's nice to see Ann Curry doing what she does so well.

I will watch this again. It airs here in Philly on Tuesdays at 8:00. N.