Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PBS Masterpiece Theater - "Unforgotten"

Message 11 of 37

@catwoman500 - I'm glad you said that .. I thought that Tessa was Marion's sister too, until last night when they interview Marion's motherm, and the sister is obviously not Tessa!

Some of the items we're getting about the suspects have to be red herrings .. like why would a successful gay banker like Colin Osborne just walk out of his job, because of a sexual harassment complaint by a young woman? Maybe you have to be older than Sara Mahmoud's son, to know that telling anyone something like what he overheard, is a very dumb idea .. even if it is to a "best friend"!

It makes you wonder about the overall benefit of investigating a 30 year old case, when there are so many family secrets, that the lives of even the suspects found to be innocent are ruined. Sara seems like a suicide candidate, based on what's happening to her .. forget that new job running a school!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 37

I tried so hard to pay more attention last night, but ended up more confused than ever! 

Is there a relationship between Tessa, the widow of the dead David, and the nurse, Marion? I swear it was those 2 that were in the first show at the table with the 2 kids that were then taken to a party just as they were starting to have dinner. Maybe I have that wrong... which is entirely possible with all the characters in this show, but if they are sisters/sisters-in-law, how can Marion say that she didn't know David?

And so many people are keeping secrets from those that are close to them!

Then the whole (are they Muslim?) family falling apart after the youngest hears his dad speaking of the mom, Sara, being a former prostitute.

And why the secret meeting of Colin, the gay lawyer, Sara, and Marion? I really need to watch this again to try to figure out the gaps in my understanding. Cat Frustrated

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 37

@ASTRAEA 

@catwoman500

I think it just goes to show that even well educated, well informed people are human and make bad decisions and use poor judgement, especially when there is a personal connection. It happens all the time.

The barrister's connection is going to be an interesting one. It seems that the shakedown guy is the partner of the natural mother of the child adopted by the gay couple. He mentioned that she had cleaned up her drug habit, and he wanted the money to get away, and she would never see the little girl.

The barrister mentioned that he was a former banker in the 80's at the time he lived in London, and that his flat had been party central for any number of people. To me, that implies money, drugs, and sex, and a connection to the victim, the prostitute, the little girl's mom, and the barrister. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 37

@ASTRAEA, @MaVolta, There was so much in that episode on Sunday. I had completely forgotten about the barrister and his partner with their little girl! It certainly did seem like an entirely different storyline from the rest of the episode. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 37

@MaVolta - Thanks for mentioning the gay couple in the process of adopting that little girl! That seemed so disconnected .. but a whole story in itself! I thought that especially considering that one's a barrister, it was very dumb to indulge in keying the anti-gay driver's car. And even dumber not to have gone to authorities he has to know personally in his position about the "shake down".

Am I being too rational & hard on people, when I say that on TV crime series, these seasoned members of law enforcement often seem to make incredibly dumb decisions in their personal lives? Although they certainly have the inside track on who's knowledgeable & can help them with a problem, they tell no one & try to handle things on their own .. usually breaking the law themselves. It rarely ends well!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 37

Finally caught up with this one last night. It is an interesting format. There are characters spread out all over England that are somehow connected to a decades old, unsolved murder case. It is difficult to keep up with them all. Some of the more prominent accents are a little hard to decipher. I had to replay a few of them. 

So we have a victim from 1990 found in a suitcase with a stab to the chest who may have had mental issues, but was also a party-person and possibly connected to a prostitute. The former prostitute is now a many years respectable educator. There are the two sisters who don't get along, one being the nurse, the former spouse of the victim who was a former DI, the son who seems to have mental issues also, a barrister with a new family, and an outlier doing a shakedown on the barrister. Then there is the Cath character that I haven't figured out yet. (Yes, I did notice that she was Sr Mary Cynthia!) One needs a score card to keep up!

DI Stuart and DS Khan do not seem convinced that the former spouse is telling everything that she knows. Most everyone questioned lies until confronted with evidence that they did indeed have a connection to the victim.

I love the way they use modern technology to let found objects tell their story.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 37

I think the brief appearance of Sister Mary Cynthia's character was near the end of the show. Jason...(I'm calling him that since I saw that name on the text that the widow's new husband's daughter sent her dad because the widow's son was at the house and acting nutso.) had come home...I assume to his own "flat" and Cath had come to the door of her downstairs flat to talk to him, presumably because she saw him come in?

Way too many characters! HA! So Sunny's kids were so annoying! Something is also going on with Cassie's dad. Doesn't she have a son, too? YIKES!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 37

@catwoman500 - I didn't get the rushing-the-kids-out either! At first I didn't realize the 2 women were sisters, and thought maybe it was a shared custody thing. I still can't place "Cath".

I kind of like the way these stories are "woven"; better than some of the American crime series, where it becomes a standard formula, with several "red herrings" leading you astray, every episode.

Last season we got to meet Cassie's father .. widowed, I assume. This time we're getting to meet DI single dad "Sunny" Kahn's noisy children. Do you think it humanizes & softens them .. or is just a distraction?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 37

@ASTRAEA, Yes, Sister Mary Cynthia as Cath! I recognized her right away when she came to the apartment door. Apparently she had not come to the party and Jason, (I think that's his name), the dead man’s son) was headed up to his place and stopped briefly to speak with her. He seemed annoyed with her and she seemed worried about him. He's kind of a basket case.

It's true that so many characters are introduced without connections and we are led to link them through the season. Not sure why the big deal with the nurse who gave her phone number to the young cancer patient. That struck me as being odd, also. There is a little contention between the sister-in- laws. Why were the boys taken to the party just as they sat down to eat? Hope I can keep the characters straight.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 37

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE NEW CASE IN SEASON 2; THE MAN IN THE SUITCASE?

I'm beginning to understand the pattern of this series better. They discover a long-dormant cold-case; this time from the late 1980s .. so not as old as Season 1. Then there are scenes introducing a lot of other characters .. but they seem to have no obvious connection to each other. Then as the investigation progresses, you begin to see the connections those people had at the time of the murder. It's more fascinating, that their characters tend to have changed so much over the intervening years .. like a sex worker getting an advanced education, and now being considered for the position of head of school for troubled students.

At this point, there are still some relationships & details we can't see connected to the main case .. like the nurse who's the sister-in-law of the murder victim, and why it's such a big deal that she's given her personal number to a cancer patient with whom she's bonded. Oh, and the murder victim's widow is also a "copper" - as she puts it; a homemaker who was so impressed by the investigative work on her husband's "disappearance" in 1989, she became a detective inspector since then.

FUN TIDBIT: Season 2 has a character named "Cath" .. played by Bryony Hannah; who played Sister Mary Cynthia on "Call the Midwife"! I can't remember if Cath was introduced in last night's episode, because I didn't realize the connection until this morning.

Kudos
Views