Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PBS Masterpiece Theater - "Unforgotten"

Message 21 of 37

@MaVolta - I do remember her wanting to leave to be safe, but that can be a sign of dementia, so I didn't think anything odd about it. And Eric had a temper. I remember that final scene in the institution where Claire reached for something (water?), and the son moved it just out of her reach.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 37

@ASTRAEA - Thanks for the recap link. It's a good summary.

I also thought it was Eric who was abusing Claire, but I think that the story led us down that road. These British mysteries tend give a lot of misdirection to keep the audience guessing! Maybe that's why we love them so much.

Anyway, Claire kept telling the older son that she wanted to leave, that it wasn't safe. I believe that he was beginning to suspect his father, or they made it look that way. It was the older brother who found the house in a remote location where the family could hide from the press. Once Claire arrived he went to her room and literally shook her up, and said something about scaring her grandson. Then finally, we see him abusing her in the lock-up facility, as though he will be her worst nightmare for however long she has to live. I just never made the connection of why he was abusing her. I can only guess that he blamed his mother for what happened to his father (driving into the tree).

It was a nice touch to see Thea united with her half-sisters, and how they finally came to accept her as part of the family. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 37

I thought it was Eric who had the temper & treated Claire poorly. I did think it was strange when the one son sat in the car & then sped off, but figured they were both having trouble dealing with the possibility of their father being a murderer, coming on top of Claire's Alzheimers. I'd have to watch the show online again, to catch further nuances between them. I was amazed after-the-fact, to realize that Eric Slater was played by Tom Courtenay; hot stuff back in the day.

I found this link recapping the show; it includes this excerpt (highlighting is mine):

With Eric’s murder charge in the news, the rest of the Slaters have to deal with the press pack and Claire gets packed off to a country hideout. With her mental deterioration only likely to accelerate, no one thinks a successful prosecution possible. Even though a flashback confirms she remembers murdering Jimmy, how could she reasonably defend herself? Eric will do time in prison but Claire gets away with a supervision order.

Don’t imagine that’s a victory, though. We haven’t seen much of the Slaters’ younger son Mattie (too busy “poncing off back to London”, to quote his brother) but it looks as if Claire is going to be seeing quite a lot of him. “Me again,” he says with a malevolent glint in his eye as he gets her alone. His regular visits to his mother are merely to play Bait the Pensioner, tormenting her with sundry cruel tricks. You can understand the resentment, but he’s getting way too much pleasure from it.

Tom Courtenay 2.jpg

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 37

@MaVoltawrote:

I just caught up with episode 3. There were certainly a lot of twists and turns, and some unexpected outcomes. There was one thing, however that I didn't catch, and that was the son who abused Claire. Did he blame her for what happened to his father, or was it something else? He said something about her scaring her grandson (his son). Early on, I thought it was the husband abusing her, but then the story tended to lead us there.

@MaVolta, yes, that family was the one that really confused me. And the way that son took off in his car when all the cops were at the house. Maybe Astraea figured that one out?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 37

I just caught up with episode 3. There were certainly a lot of twists and turns, and some unexpected outcomes. There was one thing, however that I didn't catch, and that was the son who abused Claire. Did he blame her for what happened to his father, or was it something else? He said something about her scaring her grandson (his son). Early on, I thought it was the husband abusing her, but then the story tended to lead us there.

@ASTRAEA - You summed it up very nicely! 

@catwoman500 - Our local station advertised the season 2 episodes for next Sunday.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 37

@ASTRAEA, Thanks. I guess my TV Guide was correct, then. Goodie! Cat Very Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 37

@catwoman500 - According to the PBS station I watch; THIRTEEN, they are starting "season 2") of "Unforgotten" this coming Sunday (last Sunday in April).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 37

@ASTRAEA, Thanks for that info. Maybe they will be showing the second season next week, then. I will wait until it gets closer and check again with the TV listings.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 37

@catwoman500 - There are 2 "seasons", each with 3 episodes here; I think that in the UK they might have shown them as 6 hour-long episodes (with commercials). A 3rd "season" is being filmed this year.

This gives you a little background about the show & season 2: "Unforgotten". I can't seem to find anything online, as far as when the 2nd season/case will be broadcast here.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 37

@ASTRAEA...Is that really the end to the season? It seemed like an ending, but I was thinking that there might be a new mystery. I looked ahead in the TV Guide and it is scheduled, but PBS is big for not showing what is listed in my TV Guide.

I was so happy that things turned out OK for Lizzie and her husband, too.

Kudos
Views