Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PBS Masterpiece Theater - "Mrs. Wilson"

Message 1 of 15

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - It's too bad that Alison Wilson's no longer alive, or it would be even stranger for her to watch her own granddaughter portray her in the series!

Ha!  omg yes ..  that would be strange!  I would have loved to read her thoughts!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

@nyadrn - It's too bad that Alison Wilson's no longer alive, or it would be even stranger for her to watch her own granddaughter portray her in the series!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15
Viewers can’t believe BBC drama Mrs Wilson is based on a true story

Ruth Wilson plays her own grandmother in the new BBC1 drama – and her strange family history makes for remarkable television

Viewers still can’t quite believe that new BBC1 drama Mrs Wilson is based on a true story – let alone that its star Ruth Wilson is playing her own grandmother.

The former Luther star created the series after discovering that her grandmother Alison had discovered that her husband Alec, an MI6 spy, secretly had four wives, none of whom knew about each other, and seven children.

Unsurprisingly, it makes for an engrossing story – and viewers are enjoying it all the more because it’s based in reality.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-04-11/mrs-wilson-reviews-viewers-cant-believe-bbc-drama-is-b...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@LaDolceVita - Thanks for posting about Alec Wilson's biography; I think there may be one by Alison too .. but I'm not sure. I think they would have done better either making it 3 separate sections, or doing it straight thru as a 2 hr & 45 minute movie. After the 2 hour initial episode, the 2nd one that was only 1 hour, seemed truncated in comparison. Alec's friend & fellow spy Karim & handler Coleman told stories that were in total oposition, and that seemed like a dead-end. And when that little boy came to the house, also saying his mother was Mrs. Wilson, that wasn't fleshed out at all. Slightly disappointing; I'm motivated to read a biography!

@ASTRAEA   I only have access to PBS streaming content now and the show was in 3 episodes.  But yes, it would be nice to know about the last Mrs Wilson.  I have read that she took her son to Scotland & Alec did not have a hand in raising him.  Please let us know if you find a good biography,

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

They say truth is always stranger than fiction. It's one reason I love to read histories and biographies. This one didn't disappoint. It seems Alec lived more lives than a cat. I am amazed that Alison was able to untangle so much over the years, and that all of the families finally came to know each other. Even so, they were still left with many unanswered questions. 

I agree that the timeline on the Masterpiece website was very helpful.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

I was just looking at PBS' Alex Wilson Timeline. It makes me wonder if someone like him could get away with that much now, with so much information about us being computerized, and available all over the world! It does make me wonder how he was able to get a job in British Intelligence - really - when he already had a criminal record. And why his families seemed to be destitute, when he really was a very successful, published author .. where did that money go? Not only was he a pathalogical liar, but a repeated petty criminal/thief as well .. did he see those as a "romantic & exciting" personality traits?!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

@ASTRAEA , @LaDolceVita ...Now I will definitely put this on my "to watch" list. Everyone I talk to really likes it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

@LaDolceVita - Thanks for posting about Alec Wilson's biography; I think there may be one by Alison too .. but I'm not sure. I think they would have done better either making it 3 separate sections, or doing it straight thru as a 2 hr & 45 minute movie. After the 2 hour initial episode, the 2nd one that was only 1 hour, seemed truncated in comparison. Alec's friend & fellow spy Karim & handler Coleman told stories that were in total oposition, and that seemed like a dead-end. And when that little boy came to the house, also saying his mother was Mrs. Wilson, that wasn't fleshed out at all. Slightly disappointing; I'm motivated to read a biography!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

@catwoman500   You gotta watch!  I finally stumbled back here to TVTalk to see what you all thought about this show.  I have 15 minutes left of episode 3.  I began reading a bit about his background, but I did not learn that Ruth Wilson was the granddaughter of Alison until this morning. @ASTRAEA thanks, how interesting.  I am very much taken with the show.  As always you guys contribute to the enjoyment.

https://alexanderwilsonauthorandspy.com/category/alexander-wilson-biography/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

@ASTRAEA , I was tempted after the Call the Midwife season premier, but wanted to see at least some of World of Dance and then Madam Secretary. I may get up enough patience to watch Mrs. Wilson on the computer, but it is not as comfy as sitting on a sofa! Cat Tongue N.

Kudos
Views