Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PBS Masterpiece Theater - "Mrs. Wilson"

Message 11 of 15

@JANMB - I watched part of a "Miss Fisher" episode once, but it must have been an inconvenient time, and I didn't keep up with it.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

@jonibee - I know exactly what that's like; I've falled asleep 2/3 of the way thru "Vera" many times! That's a measure of how engaging "Mrs. Wilson" is .. I managed to stay awake thru the whole 2 hours! Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

I saw the episode and thought it was well-done and suspected it might be a true story....no one could make up a script as well constructed  as that one  lol.    I'm looking forward to the next show.     

"Victoria" was also a big favorite and hope to see more of it.    

Another which has been an absolute   favorite...still is and waiting for the movie ... is Miss Fisher Mysteries which has everything...i.e.  human rights,  clothes of the 1920's,  the cars,  wit,  language is spot on sophisticated,   a bit of naughty-ness  and  of course the mysteries  themselves .   It also  features a romance between a very young innocent couple and then another between a more mature experienced one.   ..based on novels by Kerry Greenwood....I highly recommend it.     

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15
I started to watch this but because it ran to 11:00 pm had to stop, hopefully I can view it at an earlier time...Full of suspense...
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

PBS Masterpiece Theater - "Mrs. Wilson"

Message 15 of 15

Did anyone watch part 1 of this 3-part mini-series?! It's actually based on a true story about Alison Wilson .. the grandmother of Ruth Wilson, the actress who plays the title role. It takes place in the early 1960s in England, but there are many flashbacks to the pre-WWII & War time period. 

It starts with Alison rushing home to make lunch for husband Alex (Iain Glen .. playing yet another cad). She calls him when lunch is ready, but he doesn't come downstairs, and she finds him dead upstairs .. heart attack. Alison & Alex (twice her age) met 20 years earlier in the wartime intelligent office; he an accomplished novelist whose fluency in Arabic makes him a star listening in on conversations at the Arabic embassy & translating .. and she a novice typist transcribing notes. 

As a successful novelist, Alex Wilson's death brings a surprise visitor to Alison's door .. an older woman identifying herself as Mrs. Gladys Wilson .. the REAL Mrs. Wilson; it's the first step in shattering Alison's world & everything she believed about her husband. In the course of investigating things (after all she also worked for Intelligence & knew Alex was a spy), she meets yet another woman named Dorothy who also believed herself to be the real "Mrs. Wilson". Dorothy is played by Keeley Hawes (The Durrells in Corfu).

Not much of what Alex Wilson told any of these "wives" is true, and he has 1 son each with Dorothy & Gladys, and 2 sons with Alison. Must-watch TV!!

Kudos
Views
Replies