Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: PBS MASTERPIECE VICTORIA SEASON 2

Message 1 of 19

@catwoman500 - I enjoyed the long episode too last night! I thought her name was Cook also.

Victoria had two half-siblings; a sister & brother. From Wikipedia "In 1818 he (Prince Edward, Duke of Kent & Victoria's father) married Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, a widowed German princess with two childrenCarl (1804–1856) and Feodora (1807–1872)—by her first marriage to the Prince of Leiningen. Her brother Leopold was Princess Charlotte's widower (Charlotte was Victoria's older cousin & 1st in line to the throne .. but she died). The Duke and Duchess of Kent's only child, Victoria, was born at 4.15 a.m. on 24 May 1819 at Kensington Palace in London."

So a brother (Leopold) & sister (Victoria of Saxe-Coburg) married a princess (Charlotte) & her uncle (Prince Edward). Talk about "family ties"!

It's possible that Lord Alfred was bi-curious, or at least in their version willing to be married to a 'best friend" type of woman. In reality, he married Cecilia Wyndham, and they had 14 children.

I was glad too, when Leopold told Harriet about Ernest's illness .. better to know that he's sick & denying himself not to spread the disease, than for her to think that he's repeatedly played her.

I'm glad Mrs. Skerrett did the right thing, giving her slaves their freedom. I guess I never realized how valuable they were on the market.

Sarah - Captain Forbes was the Queen's representative in Africa, who told that native King that Queen Victoria wouldn't be happy if he killed the little princess as well as the rest of her family. So he traveled back to England with Sarah, and apparently she stayed with him & his wife for several months. I'm not sure what held up his audience with the Queen & "giving" Sarah to her .. except maybe communications/administration were that slow.

I don't ever remember reading about Prince Albert & the skating accident. At first I wondered if he'd catch pneumonia .. because I know he died young .. but that was still 21 years in the future. It's hard to believe that when Victoria was pregnant with their 3rd chidl, Albert was only 23 years old!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 19

I so wanted that final episode to go on forever last night.

Now for a couple of questions. Did Sarah, the child from Africa, really come to the palace as a gift and then find a home with the Forbes?

And, did Albert nearly drown all alone in a skating accident?

I was glad that Uncle Leopold did tell Harriet about Ernest's condition after the fiasco in the bedroom.

I'm guessing that becoming engaged to a woman was what gay men kind of had to do back in the day as seen with Alfred and Wilhelmina Coke. (For the whole season I thought they had been saying "COOK").

According to some hints for next season, Francatelli and Nancy will not have an easy time keeping their secret. And... SPOILER ALERT if you didn't know already....

Victoria has a sister! N.

Message 3 of 19

Considering that Uncle Leopold was King of Belgium and Ernest was Duke of Coburg, I think that the "Victoria" series overinflates the amount of time they spent in England, being supportive and/or meddling! Leopold was not only busy match-making for his relatives (very true), but was staving off an attempt by the Netherlands to recapture Belgium, and preventing the spread of revolution into his country. And by age 24, Ernest was married to Princess Alexandrine of Baden (childless marriage), and commander in the German Federation, in a war against Denmark.

I don't remember Drummond's exact words about the engagement; whether he considered it "called off" in his own mind .. only needing to break that news to his fiance, or that he'd actually told her. Going with the position that they were still engaged when he was killed, was socially a lot better for both families. I think I posted previously that Lord Alfred Paget married, and had even more children than Queen Victoria!

Message 4 of 19

@ASTRAEAwrote:

Another momentous episode last night, with so many changes about to take place!!

Yes…one unwelcome arrival (Uncle Leopold) and 3 unwelcome departures (Peel, Lehzen, and Drummond). And next week is the season finale.

I was so hoping Ernst was not going to ask Harriet to marry him and was almost glad when after being declared “cured” the rash was discovered. At least he had the decency to halt the proposal.

I thought Drummond told Alfred that he had called off the engagement, but obviously never told the girl since she was referred to as the fiancée.

@ASTRAEA also wrote: It's amazing how the heighten the drama of these historical incidents!

I'm guessing it makes for better theater, the more drama they inject. Cat Wink

Thanks, Astraea, for filling in the details of what really happened. N.

Message 5 of 19

Another momentous episode last night, with so many changes about to take place!!

The Queen's oldest child almost dies, when Lehzen stubbornly insists a mild fever is "nothing", and the Queen listens to her .. instead of Prince Albert. It doesn't go well for the Baroness ..

Sir Robert Peel - liked & trusted by the Queen & Albert - supports the corn law repeal, losing the support of his party .. and is on the verge of resigning (to be replaced by John Russell, 1st Earl Russell).

Prince Ernest seems "cured", is on the verge (we think) of proposing to Harriet, until a recurring "rash" is discovered during a bath. Smiley Sad

And then there's the on-again, off-again engagement of Edward Drummond, and his selfless act to protect Prime Minister Peel from a gunman, that ends everything for him & Lord Alfred.

It's amazing how the heighten the drama of these historical incidents! On last night's episode, the gunman fires at Peel, and Drummond pushes him out of the way, taking the bullet .. dying right there. In reality, apparently the gunman mistook Drummond for Peel, aiming at Drummond. He was hit in the chest & abdomen, the bullet removed later that day, then lingered for 5 days before dying. In reality, Drummond was much older & married at the time, not the hot-looking young guy on the TV series!

Message 6 of 19

Last night's episode ( 2/11), the Scotland visit, was sort of charming. I smiled and sometimes even laughed during the show. Of course there were other pieces that were more serious, but this episode made Victoria and Albert seem like real people.

Message 7 of 19

I have not watched this season at all.  I will have to binge watch to catch up!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

Message 8 of 19

@catwoman500  Last year only the first episode was a 2 hour one.  I began watching the first episode of season 2 yesterday.  Ada Lovelace has been coming to my attention in various ways lately. I know very little about her.  A library worker talked me into getting Enchantress of Numbers by Jennifer Chiaverini as an honor book to keep until I can read it.  Have not started reading it yet.  I also watched a documentary on Acorn recently, Calculating Ada.   

I am about halfway through with the 1st episode so cannot comment on all the goings on.  But I am definitely watching! 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar

Message 9 of 19

@ASTRAEA,

Mr. Penge always seems to make a point of emphasizing the MRS. when he speaks to her. Does that mean he uses the sign of respect unwillingly? Probably. Cat Sad Hope he gets his comeuppance soon.

Yes! I remember seeing a preview for Knightfall and recognized Jim Carter right away! Cat Very Happy

Message 10 of 19

@catwoman500 - Yes, "Mrs". Skerrett & Mr. Francatelli seem to have a complicated relationship!

Apparently the title "Mrs" back in 19th & early 20th century society, was a connotation of respect & seniority in the staff, not related to being married! Speaking of "staff" .. Jim Carter (Mr. Carson, the butler on Downton Abbey) plays Pope Boniface VIII in "Knightfall" about the Knights Templar & search for the Holy Grail (History Channel)!