You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PAUL GIAMATTI joins Downton Abby as Lady Cora's brother

Message 1 of 12

In Response to Re: PAUL GIAMATTI joins Downton Abby as Lady Cora's brother:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jun/24/paul-giamatti-cast-downton-abbey

The "Guardian" article sheds light on more new faces.

Posted by Prosecco62

Read the article. I think it's a little gimicky that they're planning these relatives to visit for end-of-season specials, rather than as ongoing characters who can be developed.

Posted by ASTRAEA

Well...I thought that at first, but I remember the "jazz singer" aspect from something I read during the last season (after the dust-up regarding who was going to replace Sybil & Matthew.)  The idea was there but advancing the story line, many times, depends upon the proposed actor's other projects and contractual obligations.  Last-minute substitutions can really foul up the continuity and turn the viewer off...especially if it happens more than once.  The end of season specials, where all of the cast is usually present, is the perfect opportunity to present new members of the ensemble.  If something goes awry, it can be "gently" explained when the new season begins and the writers and producers can have more time to plot new characters as the season goes along...or leave them out entirely if they've found another, more interesting way to advance the story. 

Think of it like a giant tapestry.  You just cannot proceed without a pattern or a plan...otherwise, how are you going to know when each thread or piece of yarn is going to be woven in and which specific place it is to occupy in order to make up the visually beautiful work when the project is completed?  No pattern, no long-range plan = a mediocre attempt not worthy of a passing glance.  That makes it seem hardly worth the effort to do it at all.

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jun/24/paul-giamatti-cast-downton-abbey

Posted by Prosecco62

Read the article. I think it's a little gimicky that they're planning these relatives to visit for end-of-season specials, rather than as ongoing characters who can be developed.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Paul Giamatti is a very talented actor,seen him in a couple of movies,"Saving Private Ryan,Truman Show".I think his casting as Cora's brother,"Harold' is great coup for the show,look forward to see what happens during the xmas special.

A little info about his father,Bart.He was a president of Yale Univ,then became baseball commissioner. He died in'89 at age 51 of heart attack,would be so proud of Paul&his 2 other children's careers  Sue 

Posted by lefty5222

Did you see him in "John Adams?"    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472027/

or "Sideways?"  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/

I truly enjoyed both of those as well.  We are a baseball family and have ties to Yale, so it was a natural curiosity to follow his career.

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Paul Giamatti is a very talented actor,seen him in a couple of movies,"Saving Private Ryan,Truman Show".I think his casting as Cora's brother,"Harold' is great coup for the show,look forward to see what happens during the xmas special.

A little info about his father,Bart.He was a president of Yale Univ,then became baseball commissioner. He died in'89 at age 51 of heart attack,would be so proud of Paul&his 2 other children's careers  Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Noooo...you are not the only one...not by a long shot!  Good observations...just goes to show that there's nothing new under the sun!  If it's only the role...most big productions have proven that the actors are "interchangeable."  Even if we favor particular actors and actresses, I think we can accept new people in an ongoing role.  We many not like it but our brains do their best to help us assimilate the change and soften our attitudes to the newest person playing the part.  Still, we follow our favorites and if we had our "druthers," we like to see those favorites stay in place forever.

Posted by Prosecco62

These 3 English families - although separated by perhaps 40 years time, also seem to have a young daughter or niece, who can best be described as "headstrong" .. not just as far as defying the social convention of the time, but not caring about mature decisions or impact on anyone outside themselves.

There's "Lady Persephone" in Upstairs Downstairs .. the younger sister who not only runs off to be with a Nazi lover  at the dawn of WWII, but initiates an affair with her gracious older sister's husband! Lady Rose MacClare in "Downton Abbey", and in lesser measure Rosalie Selfridge who's fascinated by the one person her mother doesn't want her to see (the handsome painter).

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I am a big Paul Giamatti fan!  It will be interesting to see how he handles himself on DA.  His character sounds fairly curious and I will be looking forward to his introduction.

I watched a rerun tonight and had such nostalgia for the show.  I can't wait until the next season! 

smiley

Posted by Prosecco62

I'm I the only one who's beginning to get confused between the secondary characters in "Downton Abbey", "Upstairs Downstairs", and "Mr. Selfridge"?! After a while it's either that in a way they represent stereotypes, or that class of people were all the same. Such as the dutiful wife who's slightly neglected, and whose intelligence is under-appreciated, until she gets a little too cozy with another man.

Posted by ASTRAEA

Noooo...you are not the only one...not by a long shot!  Good observations...just goes to show that there's nothing new under the sun!  If it's only the role...most big productions have proven that the actors are "interchangeable."  Even if we favor particular actors and actresses, I think we can accept new people in an ongoing role.  We many not like it but our brains do their best to help us assimilate the change and soften our attitudes to the newest person playing the part.  Still, we follow our favorites and if we had our "druthers," we like to see those favorites stay in place forever.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

I am a big Paul Giamatti fan!  It will be interesting to see how he handles himself on DA.  His character sounds fairly curious and I will be looking forward to his introduction.

I watched a rerun tonight and had such nostalgia for the show.  I can't wait until the next season! 

smiley

Posted by Prosecco62

I'm I the only one who's beginning to get confused between the secondary characters in "Downton Abbey", "Upstairs Downstairs", and "Mr. Selfridge"?! After a while it's either that in a way they represent stereotypes, or that class of people were all the same. Such as the dutiful wife who's slightly neglected, and whose intelligence is under-appreciated, until she gets a little too cozy with another man.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

In Response to PAUL GIAMATTI joins Downton Abby as Lady Cora's brother:

Paul Giamatti, Elizabeth McGovern -- Getty Images

"Downton Abbey's" Lady Cora has a new relative on the way in Season 4 - her playboy brother, Harold.

On Monday, British network ITV announced that Paul Giamatti ("Sideways," "John Adams") will play Cora's (Elizabeth McGovern) "maverick, playboy brother Harold."

He will appear in the show's Season 4 finale alongside Shirley MacLaine, who plays Martha Levinson

PHOTOS: Scenes & Stars Of 'Downton Abbey'

"We're excited that Paul Giamatti will be joining us on 'Downton' to play the rather free-spirited uncle to Mary and Edith," Carnival Films' Managing Director, Gareth Naeme, said in a statement.

"We can't wait to see him work alongside Shirley Maclaine, who are both sure to upset the Grantham's apple cart in this year's Christmas Day episode," he said.

WATCH IT NOW: Joanne Froggatt, Dan Stevens & Michelle Dockery Talk 'Downton Abbey'

The Christmas episode, which airs in the UK on December 25, is the show's Season 4 finale. It won't air in the U.S. on PBS' Masterpiece until 2014.

Season 4 premieres January 5, 2014 on Masterpiece.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/downton-abbey-paul-giamatti-joins-cast-lady-coras-183213543.html

Posted by nyadrn

smiley

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

In Response to PAUL GIAMATTI joins Downton Abby as Lady Cora's brother:

Paul Giamatti, Elizabeth McGovern -- Getty Images

"Downton Abbey's" Lady Cora has a new relative on the way in Season 4 - her playboy brother, Harold.

On Monday, British network ITV announced that Paul Giamatti ("Sideways," "John Adams") will play Cora's (Elizabeth McGovern) "maverick, playboy brother Harold."

He will appear in the show's Season 4 finale alongside Shirley MacLaine, who plays Martha Levinson

PHOTOS: Scenes & Stars Of 'Downton Abbey'

"We're excited that Paul Giamatti will be joining us on 'Downton' to play the rather free-spirited uncle to Mary and Edith," Carnival Films' Managing Director, Gareth Naeme, said in a statement.

"We can't wait to see him work alongside Shirley Maclaine, who are both sure to upset the Grantham's apple cart in this year's Christmas Day episode," he said.

WATCH IT NOW: Joanne Froggatt, Dan Stevens & Michelle Dockery Talk 'Downton Abbey'

The Christmas episode, which airs in the UK on December 25, is the show's Season 4 finale. It won't air in the U.S. on PBS' Masterpiece until 2014.

Season 4 premieres January 5, 2014 on Masterpiece.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/downton-abbey-paul-giamatti-joins-cast-lady-coras-183213543.html

Posted by nyadrn

It's beginning to feel contrived, when all the new family members just happen to be "quirky" or probably troublesome. Remember Robert's sister who came with her fiance .. who was caught with the maid?!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

Hey only six more months till the new season : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views