Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP Job Board.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Oscars diversity row is 'anti-white racism,'

Message 41 of 54

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Prosecco6247 - Does that remind anyone of Kanye West grabbing the microphone out of Taylor Swift's hands, when she won a VMA award, so he could say that Beyonce was better?!

He thinks the universe revolves around him, and he need to put his 2 cents into everything.

That's a good example.  The news and entertainment talking heads commented on Taylor Swift's handling of the situation in a positive way and Kanye West was singled out for criticism of his actions.  Meanwhile, Beyonce had to contend with the embarrassment of having her name attached to a "micro" scandalous act perpetrated by a disgruntled fan and fellow performer who thought she got cheated.  Beyonce wisely did not get involved in the controversy and it died down very quickly.  The final outcome of this episode is that Kanye is remembered for creating a moment that will follow him for the rest of his life.  What a legacy!  

It doesn't help that he was apparently inebriated when it occurred and there was more than a hint that drugs also played a part.  I suspect that there's also an element of narcissism in many of the cases...people who do acts like this think their individual comments will make a difference when sadly, their opinions hold about as much weight as the average Joe's.  Their behavior is remembered vividly.  Their words and their message...???  Not so much.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 54

@Prosecco6247 - Does that remind anyone of Kanye West grabbing the microphone out of Taylor Swift's hands, when she won a VMA award, so he could say that Beyonce was better?!

He thinks the universe revolves around him, and he need to put his 2 cents into everything.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 54

@nyadrn wrote:

"I also feel bad for the actors nominated this year as their performances should be looked at as the honor it is without a cloud being cast over the awards."  

Collateral damage. <sigh>  The people with an agenda never stop to think of the immediate consequences of the protests, let alone the unfiltered comments of "lone wolf" protesters with unbridled tongues.  It's just a matter of time before someone brings a gun to an awards event.  JMO.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 54

@Prosecco6247 wrote:
@nyadrn wrote:

"In order to immediately increase diversity on the Board of Governors, the Academy will establish three new governor seats that will be nominated by the President for three-year terms and confirmed by the Board," the Board of Governors announced on Friday in a release.

http://news.yahoo.com/oscars-board-governors-announces-big-220047944.html;_ylt=A0LEVv1x56RWFU0AwSYPx...

and this is sad.  They jump to do something immediately.. no thought no review..   just react?   

It always amazes me that when a group feels they've been slighted in some way, instead of seeking ways to define the issue and identify exactly how it came to be such a problem, they seem to have a collective knee-jerk reaction and demand immediate redress...not knowing exactly what they want and how it will make it all better.  They clamor for fairness, but are they being fair to the people they think caused their grief?  Unless they can explain exactly what is wrong, their demands will have little to no relevance in "the system" making them whole.  When their demands are met, they are left with a fleeting sense of satisfaction that they "changed the system," but did they really remove the source of the problem?  Usually not--and after the initial flurry of public outcry and demonstrations they are left with a used-up short-term solution for a long-term problem.  They become bitter victims without ever really knowing why.  Yes...it's really sad.

I also feel bad for the actors nominated this year as their performances should be looked at as the honor it is without a cloud being cast over the awards.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 54

@Journey56 said...

"...It falsely assumes that sub-populations are poorly informed about other communities, when in point of fact, one group typically knows from hard experience the best wasy (sic) to address comparable problems among other groups (teen pregancy (sic) & sex education, drug abuse and protective education about the risks thereof, association with constructive inividuals (sic) vs. those looking for trouble, etc.)"  ~and~

"Contempt against the black community and complacence with having them stuck in a permanent underclass role who can be counted upon to vote for the 'Gimme Stuff' party is the basis for avoiding constructive suggestions."

Tell me, @Journey56, if your statements are indisputable fact, why is it that we are still grappling with significant issues related to the problems you are referring to in your answer?

Your assumption that non-black "contempt & complacence" is the basis for avoiding constructive suggestions regarding black issues is  polarizing and offensive.  While there is still a good bit of racism about, there are many non-blacks who abhor it and would willingly work to eradicate it if the loudest voices would take the time to define their issues and become part of the solution.  We are all Americans.  Dr. Martin Luther King was willing to have that dialogue and spoke dynamically and persuasively on behalf of blacks.  Black citizens already have a model for reasoned debate about the issues.  There is plenty of interest in Caucasian and other non-black communities to eliminate the "permanent underclass" you speak of.  

The hue & cry about the lack of diversity regarding the "Oscars" and other entertainment awards for excellence is truly an issue that requires definition and examination of the facts.  It's also a diversion...another opportunity to clang the bells and cymbals and stir up controversy.  Rushing in with appeasements before the last bell is rung will not solve the problem.  I must ask, "where are all of the black writers, directors, producers, and ancillary personnel?  Is there a black professional organization that represents them or do they want to be considered equally for outstanding work alongside everyone else?  Why are they not, individually and collectively, pursuing roles and other professional assignments which will give them access to the awards?"  

There are plenty of well-respected blacks in the entertainment industry who could set the gears into motion...Tyler Perry & Oprah Winfrey are just two persons of color who have successfully navigated the path to excellence and respect/rewards/honors awarded by their peers.  They are the role models and the voices who can speak with authority to this particular issue.  It is simply not enough to "comment for the record."  Whether they or any of their peers wish to become mentors to other minorities regarding this issue remains to be seen.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 54

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Have you seen Stacey Dash ("Clueless) comment on this? Stacey Dash on Black Oscar Boycott

She said something I'd been thinking about myself, that Blacks have to decide if they really want to be integrated or not, and if they do, they shouldn't have TV channels (BET) or awards shows that are specifically/only for Blacks! If there was a TV channel that advertised it was only going to broadcast programs with White casts, or there was a "White Miss America" pageant, minority groups & liberals would be up in arms. But it's OK for Blacks to have that, and still complain if they're not nominated for Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, etc.

I cannot tell you have many times I have heard this said.. countless.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 54

Bull, "...

I really don't know what to say one way or the other. I must say I was more than annoyed by my niece's hubby making a minor joke over the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. IMHO as white people we can't really debate such issues because we really have no idea. A man is is rabidly Pro-life? I say let's stone him...another case of someone having an opinion in a cause they actually aren't part of.

If you are white, hey it is what it is."

You've made similar posts before. 3 problems:

1.) It's anti-democratic; 2.) It's against Free Speech; 3.) It falsely assumes that sub-populations are poorly informed about other communities, when in point of fact, one group typically knows from hard experience the best ways to address comparable problems among other groups (teen pregancy & sex education, drug abuse and protective education about the risks thereof, association with constructive inividuals vs. those looking for trouble, etc.)

Contempt against the black community and complacence with having them stuck in a permanent underclass role who can be counted upon to vote for the 'Gimme Stuff' party is the basis for avoiding constructive suggestions.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 54

I really don't know what to say one way or the other. I must say I was more than annoyed by my niece's hubby making a minor joke over the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. IMHO as white people we can't really debate such issues because we really have no idea. A man is is rabidly Pro-life? I say let's stone him...another case of someone having an opinion in a cause they actually aren't part of.

If you are white, hey it is what it is.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 54

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Have you seen Stacey Dash ("Clueless) comment on this? Stacey Dash on Black Oscar Boycott

She said something I'd been thinking about myself, that Blacks have to decide if they really want to be integrated or not, and if they do, they shouldn't have TV channels (BET) or awards shows that are specifically/only for Blacks! If there was a TV channel that advertised it was only going to broadcast programs with White casts, or there was a "White Miss America" pageant, minority groups & liberals would be up in arms. But it's OK for Blacks to have that, and still complain if they're not nominated for Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, etc.

The proof positive that they DON'T want to be integrated is the fact that blacks keep referring to themselves as African Americans instead of just Americans! Can you imagine their outrage if Whites actually did have a White Oscars or the rest of the list you posted?

When they DO want true equality, they will notify all that they prefer the term American over African American!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 54

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views