AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New York Housewives Season 6

Message 121 of 149

We (the human race) just cannot avert our eyes and close our ears when our better natures would perhaps suggest we do.  

Even cave men & women needed entertainment, right?  At least we are far removed from the days of the Coliseum and the bloodthirsty crowds it drew...those emperors could mete out some harsh punishments!  We look like amateurs in comparison to their viewing habits!

Now I'm stuck with this mental image of Ramona in a "Betty Rubble" leopardskin frock with a bone in her hair and holding up a huge stone bowl full of white wine!  Cat Happy  LOL!

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 149

@Prosecco62 wrote:

Sorry to just spill out all over the place like that!  LOL!!!  I totally agree with you...they are going for the easy money by rachetng up the drama and outrageous antics.  My next question is "Don't these women have any pride, self-esteem, codes of conduct or moral compasses in working order?"

It IS sad.  The truly disgusting but accurate word for this is that they are all "prostituting" themselves...from Andy on down.  As for the voyeurs among us who continue to watch...are we giving in to our baser instincts or what???  Guilty pleasures or reassuring ourselves that WE are not like that???

I have to chuckle at myself because I haven't yet totally turned it off even as I decry it's methods on these public boards!  Shame on me!  LOLOLOLOL!!!

I guess the answer is that money or enough of it and maybe the fame and or noteriety also compels them to want to stay in the limelight...     I think I would have to wonder what my family would think of me..   but I watch lots of these shows as comic relief..  sometimes I am doing other things at the same time and sometimes they just entertain me.. and I do watch..   but so does half of my office women.  What does that mean about our society?  well I don't think we are worse than the previous ages because even if these women were cave women, other cave people would watch them  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 149

Hi Mimi and no need to apologize you are one of the most polite people here.. you stay calm when I get aggravated : )

I think I show "social butterfly" because I have posted beyond the number of posts needed for Gold Conversationalist, which you are, and that seems to be the next level.. I have been here for years and sometimes I feel every one of them LOL Don't know why my name shows in green unless it is because I started this topic Yours shows here in red and your name in in a blue box and shows topics kudos and solutions.. which mine does not.  Not sure why.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 149

Just a quick PS for you, Diane...why is your screen name now in green and you are designated a "social butterfly?"  Is this a promotion?  Not that I disagree...you are, to me, the ranking veteran on these boards!!!  I apologize to any and all if there is a veteran out there who outranks you whom I've offended with my comment. I have been perplexed by the change and I am just a curious old girl who hasn't been able to figure it out on my own!  ~  Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 149

Sorry to just spill out all over the place like that!  LOL!!!  I totally agree with you...they are going for the easy money by rachetng up the drama and outrageous antics.  My next question is "Don't these women have any pride, self-esteem, codes of conduct or moral compasses in working order?"

It IS sad.  The truly disgusting but accurate word for this is that they are all "prostituting" themselves...from Andy on down.  As for the voyeurs among us who continue to watch...are we giving in to our baser instincts or what???  Guilty pleasures or reassuring ourselves that WE are not like that???

I have to chuckle at myself because I haven't yet totally turned it off even as I decry it's methods on these public boards!  Shame on me!  LOLOLOLOL!!!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 149

@Prosecco62 wrote:

You know, I've only seen that raucous preview and thought "What are these women thinking???"  The ones who run businesses are walking on the third rail if they think being in this show and acting crayzy will bring them business.  Specifically, I was thinking about a scene with Heather screaming because I just purchased two "Yummie Tummie" garments to try and I thought, "If I really like these, what are the chances she's going to go out of business based on her wild-a** antics on RHONY?"

I am truly losing interest fast.  I don't care if 99% of their behavior is stellar, the promos are trash.  I might try to catch it but I'm sure I am not going to see anything redeeming and they are all too crazy for me to even sustain an interest in.  Yesterday's newpaper...good for wrapping fish guts.  JMO, as always!

The longer I watch, the more I think that the show, Andy, the network  keep after them to either to raise the drama or get tossed from the show..  and that is just sad.. these could be really good shows if they did not go for the easy air time because of the drama.   

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 149

You know, I've only seen that raucous preview and thought "What are these women thinking???"  The ones who run businesses are walking on the third rail if they think being in this show and acting crayzy will bring them business.  Specifically, I was thinking about a scene with Heather screaming because I just purchased two "Yummie Tummie" garments to try and I thought, "If I really like these, what are the chances she's going to go out of business based on her wild-a** antics on RHONY?"

I am truly losing interest fast.  I don't care if 99% of their behavior is stellar, the promos are trash.  I might try to catch it but I'm sure I am not going to see anything redeeming and they are all too crazy for me to even sustain an interest in.  Yesterday's newpaper...good for wrapping fish guts.  JMO, as always!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 149

Did anyone watch last night's season starter?   What the heck is in Aviva's water??  She  was set on making up with Ramona??

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 149

In Response to Re: New York Housewives Season 6:

All good questions and something each participant should ask him/herself before agreeing to go on such a show.  I fear these types of shows can do more damage than good.  As we suspect, the opportunity for making money and increasing one's presence on the airwaves (in terms of maintaining one's identity as a "celebrity") far outweighs a desire for bona fide professional counseling and it can be tempting to embellish and act out for the sake of generating more face time while the cameras are rolling.

As much as I admire Dr. Drew, I fault him for fostering a cult of "celebrity doctors" who seem to be opportunistic and as desirous of celebrity as the "celebrity patients."  They all seem to be narcissistic and have no problem with living out their "private" lives in the public arena and videotaping it for posterity.  None of the "bad behaviors" will ever be forgotten...they will be replayed ad infinitum by some other celebrity-seeking wannabe announcer or would-be pop psychologist.  What a legacy!

Posted by Prosecco62

Everyone convinces themselves (or tries to convince the public), that they participate in such a public exercise, because maybe audience members with problems will see themselves in what the celebrities share, and it may help them. Seriously .. if it were that easy to "solve" adult behavioral issues caused by many years of abuse or bad choices, we wouldn't need therapists. So without individual professional help, viewers might wind up doing the wrong thing by watching participants in different situations.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 149

In Response to Re: New York Housewives Season 6:

Sorry if my post was confusing.  When I referred to Bravo not getting it's money's worth on "those two," I was referring to Ramona & Sonja.

I rarely watch VH-1, so I don't have the "back story" on any of their programming.  My comment about Farrah possibly being "manipulative" was just an observation based upon what was said here about the professional's (Dr. Jen) reaction to Farrah, the client.  It was not the best display of professional demeanor and she would have been better served to take a time-out to recompose before either going any further with Farrah or being seen by any of the others.  She's crossing a line that may come back to haunt her in the future.

Posted by Prosecco62

I question that professional therapists let ANY of their sessions be filmed & broadcast .. even for the stated reason that it could help others.

What if someone says something actionable during a session; doesn't the fact that participants have probably signed a waiver mean that there's NO expectation of privacy or professional confidentiality? What if something is said during a casual conversation between participants after a group session, in the way of "debriefing".. but it's an admission of guilt in something ancillary?

Posted by ASTRAEA

All good questions and something each participant should ask him/herself before agreeing to go on such a show.  I fear these types of shows can do more damage than good.  As we suspect, the opportunity for making money and increasing one's presence on the airwaves (in terms of maintaining one's identity as a "celebrity") far outweighs a desire for bona fide professional counseling and it can be tempting to embellish and act out for the sake of generating more face time while the cameras are rolling.

As much as I admire Dr. Drew, I fault him for fostering a cult of "celebrity doctors" who seem to be opportunistic and as desirous of celebrity as the "celebrity patients."  They all seem to be narcissistic and have no problem with living out their "private" lives in the public arena and videotaping it for posterity.  None of the "bad behaviors" will ever be forgotten...they will be replayed ad infinitum by some other celebrity-seeking wannabe announcer or would-be pop psychologist.  What a legacy!

Kudos
Views