With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Netflix. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

Message 1 of 4

@nyadrn   I did not like the book  but I think I would like it in movie form.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.  The book was very popular.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

That looked really interesting! Is it a film or a series? Did you watch it yet?? Let me know what you thought of it when you do! Maybe I should read the book first? ❤

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

From wiki

“In January 1946, 32-year-old Juliet Ashton embarks on a cross-country tour across England to promote her latest book. Written under her pen-name Izzy Bickerstaff, the book is a compilation of comedic columns she wrote about life during World War II. Despite the fact that she was initially contracted to write another Izzy Bickerstaff book, Juliet writes to her publisher that she wants to retire the pseudonym. On her tour she is greeted with flowers everywhere by the mysterious Markham V. Reynolds Jr. Her best friend and publisher, Sidney, warns Juliet that Mark is a wealthy American trying to establish a publishing empire and looking to poach her. Reynolds makes it clear that he is a fan and she and Reynolds soon begin dating.

Juliet also receives a letter from Dawsey Adams, a complete stranger from Guernsey who has come into possession of her copy of Essays of Elia and who wants to know more about the author, Charles Lamb. Juliet helps to send him further books by Lamb. She is also intrigued that Adams is part of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and inquires about the name.

After learning that the society began as a cover for residents breaking curfew during the German occupation of Guernsey, Juliet begins a correspondence with several members of the Society, hoping to work them into an article she is writing on the benefits of literature for The Times Literary Supplement. Juliet also learns that Elizabeth McKenna, the beloved founder of the Society, was arrested and sent to a prison in France by the Germans and has yet to return home. The members of the Society are raising her child, Kit, among themselves until Elizabeth returns.”

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Netflix. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

Message 4 of 4

I was so surprised to see this in the Netflix listing. I read this book and loved it!!  

Going to to see how the film stands up to it. 

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guernsey_Literary_and_Potato_Peel_Pie_Society

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Replies