Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Netflix TV Series.

In addition to movies, Netflix carries TV Series.  There are lots of foreign series that are really very good

 

Do you watch and if do do you have any favs?

 

 

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
7,880 Views
37
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

We're new subscribers to Netflix. Just started watching the series Turn. It's a period drama about spies in the American revolution. Have watched the first two episodes. It starts out with a really violent scene, which surprised me a little since it's TV-14, but it settles into a really good story.

 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
0 Kudos
1,919 Views
0
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Just finished watching The Last Kingdom, Season 1 and Season 2. Now I have them on DVD, but read that these are also available on Netflix. Season 3 is coming soon, a Netflix worldwide exclusive.

 

This series is set in Saxon England at the time of Alfred the Great, and Viking invaders. It tells the story of the son of a Saxon king that was kidnapped and raised by Danes. Not to give too much away, but he finds himself in a struggle to reclaim the lost Saxon kingdom that he feels should belong to him, and his identity as being raised as a Dane. He eventually has to deal with Alfred the Great who wants a united England.

 

It had such a great hook, I binged watched the first three episodes. It would be R-rated in America, just so you know. It's not for younger people.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
2,084 Views
5
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Watching Brish series called Luther but not sure why.  The acting is ok but the whole premise is such bunk. 

 

Description:

Just over seven years ago, the BBC took a punt on a crime detective series focused on the ingenuity and damaged mind of its sole protagonist. The premise had been done countless times over the years, on both sides of the Atlantic—from Columboto Sherlock Holmes, Starsky and Hutch to The Sweeney—but this was innovative and ground-breaking all at the same time, and in abundance. DCI John Luther hit the mini screen like a bullet, challenging and redefining masculinity whilst providing some of the most revolutionary scriptwriting seen on television in decades. The portrayal of a deeply troubled character who couldn’t escape being consumed by the dark, torturous and sadistic minds he was assigned to take down was, in all honesty, never seen before—especially with a black man in the starring role. 

But what Luther did quite magnificently was, instead of focusing on race and discrimination within London and the police force, it chose to ignore the common stereotypes and the need to hyper-realise one’s ethnicity and culture. In every single series since its inception>>

 

Imho. 

Greatest shows? Hahahahaha makes me laugh. This “copper” thinks he knows what’s best for everyone and while supposedly upholding law and order, goes around and breaks whatever laws he likes to get what he thinks is right done. He is no better than a street thug in a suit. No good police department would have him.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
2,046 Views
4
Report
Reply
Regular Social Butterfly

@nyadrn I totally agree with you about Luther! Love the actor, but ran out of patience with the storyline. 

 

One show I loved was Wanted. It's an Australian TV series (2 seasons now on Netflix & a 3rd season in production in South Australia) about 2 women, Lola & Chelsea, who wait every night at the same bus stop but never speak to each other until they witness a car jacking & try to help the victim, only to find themselves embroiled in a long, sometimes wacky scenario involving crime lords & dirty cops, who frame them as the prime suspects. Unable to trust anyone, they go on the run together to try to figure out how to prove their innocence and survive. They are the penultimate odd couple & the interactions between them are priceless. It's like Thelma & Louise, only much more fun. The series was actually written and produced by Rebecca Gibney, the actress who plays Lola. I think I read somewhere that it's the #1 TV show in Australia. 

1,943 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@millineutron wrote:

@nyadrn I totally agree with you about Luther! Love the actor, but ran out of patience with the storyline. 

 

One show I loved was Wanted. It's an Australian TV series (2 seasons now on Netflix & a 3rd season in production in South Australia) about 2 women, Lola & Chelsea, who wait every night at the same bus stop but never speak to each other until they witness a car jacking & try to help the victim, only to find themselves embroiled in a long, sometimes wacky scenario involving crime lords & dirty cops, who frame them as the prime suspects. Unable to trust anyone, they go on the run together to try to figure out how to prove their innocence and survive. They are the penultimate odd couple & the interactions between them are priceless. It's like Thelma & Louise, only much more fun. The series was actually written and produced by Rebecca Gibney, the actress who plays Lola. I think I read somewhere that it's the #1 TV show in Australia. 


Oh I loved Wanted !!  You wrote a great review.  Glad someone understood about Luther. It really bugged me. If the police could throw out civil rights of course they would be able to get more accomplished but at shar price.  Grrrrr. LOL

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
1,913 Views
0
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

@nyadrn - There are so many British crime dramas, I guess they have to figure out a different spin to keep them from all being the same!  

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
1,983 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@MaVolta wrote:

@nyadrn - There are so many British crime dramas, I guess they have to figure out a different spin to keep them from all being the same!  


Hahaha. Yes no doubt that is true!   Most all of them I really like and enjoy!

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
1,915 Views
0
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

If you haven't watched the British series (8 seasons so far) Doc Martin please do. It's on Netflix DVD and might still be streaming as well. A super scenic series out of New Zealand is Brokenwood Mysteries, a non-violent series--not a gun in sight--with a trio of very likeable cops fighting crime. Finally, Midsomer Murders, is another British series set in the beautiful villages of England. Well worth watching.

2,107 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@billham68 wrote:

If you haven't watched the British series (8 seasons so far) Doc Martin please do. It's on Netflix DVD and might still be streaming as well. A super scenic series out of New Zealand is Brokenwood Mysteries, a non-violent series--not a gun in sight--with a trio of very likeable cops fighting crime. Finally, Midsomer Murders, is another British series set in the beautiful villages of England. Well worth watching.


Thank you @billham68

I watch lots of the British and other series on Netflix and really enjoy the differences to ours!

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
2,103 Views
0
Report
Reply
Trusted Contributor

One of my all-time favorites is Doc Martin.

2,248 Views
0
Report
Reply
Periodic Contributor

Love foreign films nromally. But lately it seems that the CC text is flashes on the screen for only a couple seconds you spend the entire movie looking down at the text and never get to see the people talking or the scenery.  Impossible to enjoy a movie like that.  

Plus Netflix is removing the star review option making it painful.  Now you will have to start watching a movie and waste 10 - 30 minutes before you can tell if it is a 1 star movie. 

2,239 Views
0
Report
Reply
Periodic Contributor

For some nice, lighthearted entertainment, watch Doc Martin (England) to add a few laughs to your day. 

2,218 Views
0
Report
Reply
Regular Contributor

There are so many that are enjoyable,but my favorites have been Midsomer Murders, Father Brown, Doc Martin, Inspector Morse, and Broadchurch.  Guess I like those British mysteries!

1,916 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

I'm currently following the Russian series called "The Sniffer"! A drama involving a rich police consultant who helps solved crimes using his analytical sniffing properties where there is no or very little crime scene physical evidence! I'm into season 2! I find it's nice that there are no commericals and most foreign series are a lot longer than US so the characters are more developed! I also like the Japanese animated series! I switch over to the German police drama "Berlin" for a binge break!

1,895 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@KimR605104 wrote:

I'm currently following the Russian series called "The Sniffer"! A drama involving a rich police consultant who helps solved crimes using his analytical sniffing properties where there is no or very little crime scene physical evidence! I'm into season 2! I find it's nice that there are no commericals and most foreign series are a lot longer than US so the characters are more developed! I also like the Japanese animated series! I switch over to the German police drama "Berlin" for a binge break!


I saw that advertised and wondered about it..  thanks for the review!

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
2,174 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

I recently watched Rake and Secret City, both from Australia.  Rake is about the misadventures of barrister, Cleaver Greene and the people who come in and out of his life.  This show is funny, irreverent, sexy and poignant all at once.  There’s quite a lot of tawdry bits, so don’t watch if you’re not up for that.  Secret City is more serious and sadly, there’s only one season.  (Rake has four).  This show follows Harriet, a journalist for a print newspaper as she tenaciously investigates a friend’s death.  Her work takes her to increasingly more dangerous situations.  The show is fast paced and believable.

1,889 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

I recently watched Rake and Secret City, both from Australia.  Rake is about the misadventures of barrister, Cleaver Greene and the people who come in and out of his life.  This show is funny, irreverent, sexy and poignant all at once.  There’s quite a lot of tawdry bits, so don’t watch if you’re not up for that.  Secret City is more serious and sadly, there’s only one season.  (Rake has four).  This show follows Harriet, a journalist for a print newspaper as she tenaciously investigates a friend’s death.  Her work takes her to increasingly more dangerous situations.  The show is fast paced and believable.

1,886 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

Lords and Ladles      

Historical Irish cooking with a modern touch, combined with some historical facts about the places the meals are being prepared. 

2,041 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@ra5989 wrote:

Lords and Ladles      

Historical Irish cooking with a modern touch, combined with some historical facts about the places the meals are being prepared. 


That sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing. Have you tried making any of the recipes?

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
2,037 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

The Doctor Blake Mysteries are our pick for favorite foreign TV series.  Susan and Jim Massie

2,419 Views
3
Report
Reply
Periodic Contributor

I love Doctor Blake! I look forward to Saturday nights when I can see it and Midsomer Murder on PBS.

2,213 Views
0
Report
Reply
Periodic Contributor

We like to watch mar de Plastico on Netflix!

0
Kudos
2530
Views
2,161 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Just watched Iverson the Documentary. Loved it!!   He was a phenom and thrilling to watch.  That is saying a lot from a Cleveland fan who has watched LeBron James.   

 

50 Best Documentaries on Netflix: Iverson joins the ranking

https://netflixlife.com/2016/04/14/50-best-documentaries-on-netflix-iverson-joins-the-ranking/

 

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0
Kudos
794
Views
0 Kudos
2,052 Views
0
Report
Reply
Contributor

Our all time favorite is “McClouds Daughters” out of Australia! Wish we could see more episodes!

2,675 Views
2
Report
Reply
Contributor

Our favorite is Doc Martin! Very entertaining and funny. Upset that we cannot watch future episodes. No available on Netflix
2,226 Views
1
Report
Reply
Periodic Contributor

Many PBS TV programs can be watched online through the PBS app. In my home state of North Carolina the entire catalog of PBS shows is available to those  who subscribe to PBS Passport which requires just a measly donation of $5 per month. My monthly donation is drafted from my checking account, easy peasy. I expect every state has a similar program. I suggest inquiring with your local or state PBS station.

2,203 Views
0
Report
Reply
Newbie

 

Marcella

4,772 Views
2
Report
Reply
Newbie

I'm LOVING "Call The Midwife" (BBC); binge-watching this while recovering from surgery.  Seen "Celia" (Spanish language), too;  looks very good.

2,139 Views
1
Report
Reply
Honored Social Butterfly


@lo6801 wrote:

I'm LOVING "Call The Midwife" (BBC); binge-watching this while recovering from surgery.  Seen "Celia" (Spanish language), too;  looks very good.


Hi

there is a whole tread for this show here.  We (all the regulars here) all watch it regularly during season!

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
2,146 Views
0
Report
Reply