Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Netflix TV Series. Luther

Message 1 of 38

@millineutron wrote:

@nyadrn I totally agree with you about Luther! Love the actor, but ran out of patience with the storyline. 

One show I loved was Wanted. It's an Australian TV series (2 seasons now on Netflix & a 3rd season in production in South Australia) about 2 women, Lola & Chelsea, who wait every night at the same bus stop but never speak to each other until they witness a car jacking & try to help the victim, only to find themselves embroiled in a long, sometimes wacky scenario involving crime lords & dirty cops, who frame them as the prime suspects. Unable to trust anyone, they go on the run together to try to figure out how to prove their innocence and survive. They are the penultimate odd couple & the interactions between them are priceless. It's like Thelma & Louise, only much more fun. The series was actually written and produced by Rebecca Gibney, the actress who plays Lola. I think I read somewhere that it's the #1 TV show in Australia. 

Oh I loved Wanted !!  You wrote a great review.  Glad someone understood about Luther. It really bugged me. If the police could throw out civil rights of course they would be able to get more accomplished but at shar price.  Grrrrr. LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 38

@MaVolta wrote:

@nyadrn - There are so many British crime dramas, I guess they have to figure out a different spin to keep them from all being the same!  

Hahaha. Yes no doubt that is true!   Most all of them I really like and enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Netflix TV Series.

Message 3 of 38

We're new subscribers to Netflix. Just started watching the series Turn. It's a period drama about spies in the American revolution. Have watched the first two episodes. It starts out with a really violent scene, which surprised me a little since it's TV-14, but it settles into a really good story.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

@nyadrn I totally agree with you about Luther! Love the actor, but ran out of patience with the storyline. 

One show I loved was Wanted. It's an Australian TV series (2 seasons now on Netflix & a 3rd season in production in South Australia) about 2 women, Lola & Chelsea, who wait every night at the same bus stop but never speak to each other until they witness a car jacking & try to help the victim, only to find themselves embroiled in a long, sometimes wacky scenario involving crime lords & dirty cops, who frame them as the prime suspects. Unable to trust anyone, they go on the run together to try to figure out how to prove their innocence and survive. They are the penultimate odd couple & the interactions between them are priceless. It's like Thelma & Louise, only much more fun. The series was actually written and produced by Rebecca Gibney, the actress who plays Lola. I think I read somewhere that it's the #1 TV show in Australia. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38

@nyadrn - There are so many British crime dramas, I guess they have to figure out a different spin to keep them from all being the same!  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

Watching Brish series called Luther but not sure why.  The acting is ok but the whole premise is such bunk. 

Description:

Just over seven years ago, the BBC took a punt on a crime detective series focused on the ingenuity and damaged mind of its sole protagonist. The premise had been done countless times over the years, on both sides of the Atlantic—from Columboto Sherlock Holmes, Starsky and Hutch to The Sweeney—but this was innovative and ground-breaking all at the same time, and in abundance. DCI John Luther hit the mini screen like a bullet, challenging and redefining masculinity whilst providing some of the most revolutionary scriptwriting seen on television in decades. The portrayal of a deeply troubled character who couldn’t escape being consumed by the dark, torturous and sadistic minds he was assigned to take down was, in all honesty, never seen before—especially with a black man in the starring role. 

But what Luther did quite magnificently was, instead of focusing on race and discrimination within London and the police force, it chose to ignore the common stereotypes and the need to hyper-realise one’s ethnicity and culture. In every single series since its inception>>

Imho. 

Greatest shows? Hahahahaha makes me laugh. This “copper” thinks he knows what’s best for everyone and while supposedly upholding law and order, goes around and breaks whatever laws he likes to get what he thinks is right done. He is no better than a street thug in a suit. No good police department would have him.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

Just finished watching The Last Kingdom, Season 1 and Season 2. Now I have them on DVD, but read that these are also available on Netflix. Season 3 is coming soon, a Netflix worldwide exclusive.

This series is set in Saxon England at the time of Alfred the Great, and Viking invaders. It tells the story of the son of a Saxon king that was kidnapped and raised by Danes. Not to give too much away, but he finds himself in a struggle to reclaim the lost Saxon kingdom that he feels should belong to him, and his identity as being raised as a Dane. He eventually has to deal with Alfred the Great who wants a united England.

It had such a great hook, I binged watched the first three episodes. It would be R-rated in America, just so you know. It's not for younger people.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

@billham68 wrote:

If you haven't watched the British series (8 seasons so far) Doc Martin please do. It's on Netflix DVD and might still be streaming as well. A super scenic series out of New Zealand is Brokenwood Mysteries, a non-violent series--not a gun in sight--with a trio of very likeable cops fighting crime. Finally, Midsomer Murders, is another British series set in the beautiful villages of England. Well worth watching.

Thank you @billham68

I watch lots of the British and other series on Netflix and really enjoy the differences to ours!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

If you haven't watched the British series (8 seasons so far) Doc Martin please do. It's on Netflix DVD and might still be streaming as well. A super scenic series out of New Zealand is Brokenwood Mysteries, a non-violent series--not a gun in sight--with a trio of very likeable cops fighting crime. Finally, Midsomer Murders, is another British series set in the beautiful villages of England. Well worth watching.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38

@lo6801 wrote:

I'm LOVING "Call The Midwife" (BBC); binge-watching this while recovering from surgery.  Seen "Celia" (Spanish language), too;  looks very good.

Hi

there is a whole tread for this show here.  We (all the regulars here) all watch it regularly during season!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors