Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 11 of 46

@ASTRAEA  @catwoman500 

They packed a lot into that 1-hour segment, didn't they?

Palmerston seems to have redeemed himself with Victoria. His advice was solid, and things are looking up for Feodora. Yes, it will be fun to see her go husband-hunting for Heidi! Now she's looking to Palmerston for advice!

It was puzzling to me that the Duke of Wellington seemed to suggest Albert as his replacement rather than promoting a trained successor from the ranks. Again, Victoria was struggling with public opinion, and this position might better serve to elevate the Prince in the eyes of the people. But, she also learned from Palmerston that public opinion could be changed with strength and resolve, and decided to support Albert and his project which would become a monumental success. 

Poor Duchess, she seemed surprised that so many at the palace knew about her affair, and were stopping by to give her advice. I suspect the thought of running away to America, or perhaps anywhere that Joseph might take her, was very frightening. Giving up her luxury status had apparently not crossed her mind. I hadn't thought about her evil minded husband having her committed to an asylum, although that did seem to be a practice used by the aristocracy for ridding themselves of spouses or other inconvenient or embarrasing relatives.

So now, will Victoria set Palmerston on Monmouth? I can't see her not putting up a fight over this. And what of Joseph? Or if it all spills out, will Victoria even hold Pence to account? 

Yes, it seems like they are just getting revved up and next week it ends the season! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 12 of 46

@catwoman500 I think you're right about creating more drama between Victoria & Feodora .. who seemed to be very close in real life! 

I was surprised when Joseph mentioned prospecting for gold in America; and that might have scared Sophie. Truth is, that she was used to a very cushy life as a lady-in-waiting to the Queen, and had she had a discrete affair with someone who wasn an equal to Monmouth, it might have all been hushed up. After the excitement of running off to America - penniless - how much fun would it be for her to be camped out in a mining camp in the rough & tumble west?

There are numerous 19th century romances, where people of noble birth had very public affairs or ran away from marriages, and were totally ostracized from polite society, lost access to their young children, were cut off from family funds, and things only went downhill from there. Anna Karenina eventually commit suicide, and both lovers commit suicide/homicide in Elvira Madigan (which was taken from a true story).

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 46

@ASTRAEA ...Wow! What a difference reality makes! Wonder why they made Feodora so unlikeable in this series. Probably to have more drama, I suppose.

I just read somewhere that Sophie was not Joseph's first duchess! HA! Maybe Joseph is an opportunist as well! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 46

@catwoman500 - I just found an interesting article about Feodora, so you can see how much the TV series deviates from reality!

I never thought Monmouth would try to have her committed either! I wonder what will happen to Joseph? Joseph & Sophie were so obvious, just about all the palace regulars knew what was going on .. and warned both of them. So I think Penge was just an opportunist, since he didn't really have to sneak around or research what Sophie was doing.

The season did seem very short, didn't it!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 46

Yes, I do think that Feodora will be so occupied with Heidi being there that she may keep her nose out of Victoria and Albert's business.

Albert seemed to be having problems with the exposition, so Victoria may have thought that offering him the Duke's position would take his mind off the exposition? I did think it was rather odd though considering he had no experience.

The idea that creepy Monmouth would think of having Sophie committed never entered my mind. I sure hope that falls through. Wouldn't Victoria question Sophie's absence? Would she believe anything Monmouth gave as an excuse?

Is Penge just counting his money or thinking of some other devious plan that will make him more?

It seems like this season just started and now it's coming to an end already.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 46

@MaVolta , @catwoman500 - Did you watch last night's episode; next week is the end of the season! I think that Lord Palmerston gave Victoria a good suggestion, that may have turned the tide on her problems with both Feodora & Albert .. that she should turn her enemy into an ally! Just by inviting Feodora to tea & then offering to do something for her (bring daughter Heidi to England), maybe Feodora will be too busy trying to find a rich husband for Heidi, to meddle in Victoria's marriage! 

What did you think of Victoria's suggestion that Albert replace the retiring Duke of Wellington as Commander-in-Chief, because she thought that was a more important position, than the exposition? I personally thought it was ridiculous, but typical .. Wellington's entire glorious career was in the military; what 1st hand experience did Albert have? If anything, he would have been way out of his depth! I think she felt that since it was a time of peace, he could be an efficient administrator reorganizing the military .. but never considered how he'd manage leading them in a war.

I think the Duchess of Monmouth was very foolish & courted danger with Joseph, but it should be fascinating to see how the Duke's plan to have her committed to an asylum plays out. No one at court has any respect for him, so his plan may backfire. I seem to think that he once made a comment that it was her money that bailed them out .. so that would just show how women - even wealthy married women - could be so controlled by their husbands.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 46

I finally got caught up on this one. There's certainly a lot of drama going on!

I believe the relationship of a strained Albert and Victoria is being overdramatized. They did have disagreements, and she did have a temper, but there is nothing to suggest that they ever came to the brink of a marital breakdown. Victoria truly adored Albert, and he was very protective of her and the royal family.

After the death of Lord Melbourne, Albert served as both her private secretary and most trusted advisor. He was especially helpful in matters that required diplomacy. It was Albert who wanted the royal family to appear more "normal" and set a strong moral example of family life, thus what was to become the Victorian era

Poor Bertie! Perhaps he was just ADD or AD/HD. Sure sounds like it since it is similar to my experience being ADD. He did go on to study at both Cambridge and Oxford. 

Then there is the Duke and Duchess of Monmouth, and the costume ball. That was just plain eerie! Looks like the present Duchess may be headed the same direction as the earlier one. At least this part is fiction!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 46

It strikes me as odd, when a show revolves around one character, when that character is replaced.

I enjoy another Brit crime drama called "The Dr. Blake Mysteries", which takes place in Ballarat, Australia in the late 1950s. Dr. Lucien Blake returns home after WWII, and talkes over his father's medical practice, and is also the police surgeon. It's all about Dr. Blake's various relationships, his drinking problem, and overstepping his position to help solve murders. I read recently where there were allegations of sexual assault against the actor playing Dr. Blake, and production was suspended. But then they said there would be a sequel of telemovies, including the whole cast BUT Dr. Lucien Blake. How strange would that be?!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 46

@ASTRAEA ...Grantchester returns July 14th.

Hated the first season because of Sidney's drinking. Forced myself to keep up with it and now I enjoy it. This is Sidney's last season. There will be a new vicar in town! Cat Surprised N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 46

@catwoman500 - I got an e-mail the other day, announcing that Grantchester was returning, but I don't remember when. I couldn't stand that married woman with whom he was involved, or his lack of self-control concerning her. I stopped watching after the 1st season!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors