Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 1 of 46

@MaVolta Thanks for mentioning that; I didn't check the "fact or fiction" this time.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 2 of 46

@ASTRAEA 

@catwoman500 

Did you read the fact or fiction this week? Turns out that Napoleon III did make a proposal offer to Heidi's parents, but they declined because Victoria and Albert were both opposed to it. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 46

@MaVolta - Although half of Germany seemed to have noble titles, I think some of them had a title, but not that much land or money. So Feodora - possibly in retrospect as a middle-aged woman - felt that she would have made a better/wealthier match if her mother kept her in England, than adding more family ties to less affluent distant relatives in Germany & middle Europe. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 46

Your post reminded me how annoyed I was by the time the finale started. I was excited to see that the episode was supposed to run 90 minutes, not the standard 60 minutes .. but then realized my PBS channel decided to tie the finale to a membership drive! So it turned out to be 15 minutes of begging for money, with various people responsible for Masterpiece Theater repeating the same thing over & over again .. but being stuck watching, because I didn't know how long it would last. And then the episode ended 60 minutes after it started .. so they could beg some more for membership! So in effect it wasn't a longer episode at all, since there was close to 30 minutes of begging for donations!

I think you're correct that Sophie won't run away with Joseph, but I wonder if she'd meet him at the station just to explain why to him. It reminded me very much of "Lady Chatterley's Lover", where Lady Chatterley falls in love with the roughish gamekeeper, after her husband becomes disabled in WWI. He tells her to meet him at the pier for crossing to Canada, but has no idea if she'll do it or not. In his case, she did show up & the ship captain married them!

Heidi married Frederick VIII, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein. If you really want to get confused, read up about him on Wikipedia; the relationships between dynasties in Denmark & Germany were pretty entwined!

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 46

@MaVolta , @ASTRAEA ...

I had to Google right at the end of the show to check on Albert's health situation at the time. I knew they couldn't kill him off so soon. Cat LOL 

As for Sophie, I was so sure she would turn back when her son came down the stairs. How could she leave him?

They gave us a lot of things to speculate over...It looked to me as Joseph was at the station looking for Sophie he may have spotted her, but what I was hoping was that she had her son with her. Heart Would the Duke be able to say she kidnapped him? Would he send minions to America to find them?

For sure Abigail saved Sophie's life!

Even old Penge had a change of heart!

Poor little Bertie, pining for Heidi. But thank goodness he told Albert of Feo's plan for her!

Heidi did seem happy with the guy Albert introduced her to.

Hate that we have to wait almost a year to find out what happens. N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 46

There's one other thing that doesn't seem to fit the story, and that's the whole Feodoro jealousy thing with Victoria. The "mom liked you best" part is not so unusual between siblings, but why would Feodoro have thought that she was entitled to the crown of England? Victoria inherited the crown through her father, not her mother. Seems a bit weird for the story line to suggest that Feo was somehow denied the crown in favor of Victoria because of "mama". 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 46

@ASTRAEA  

It didn't seem like the typical season finale in that they left quite a bit hanging in the balance, so a lot of hooks remain for the next season. 

I thought it was purely royal the way Victoria handled the Duke of Monmouth, first commanding Sophie's presence at the exhibition and then abruptly dismissing him! Then Mr Penge threw the money at his feet when he saw that Joseph really had Sophie's welfare at heart. Though Victoria knows full well what has happened, she only speaks subtlety to offer Sophie a house in town where she may live with her son. Victoria seems to realize that Sophie would someday come to regret leaving her son behind. And even though Sophie is practically going out the door when her son stops her, I don't think that she can leave him behind with Monmouth, thus leaving Joseph alone at the station. They seem to be bound as the star-crossed lovers of this story.

I thought for sure that Victoria would dismiss Feodoro and send her packing, but she didn't. So what match will they make for Heidi? She seemed charmed by the Prussian that Albert favored. Yes, Albert seemed very surprised to learn from Bertie what Feo was up to. Bertie was so cute with his proposal to Heidi. He seemed to pick up quickly how royalty operates!

Now Albert has collapsed, presumably from exhaustion. He doesn't become ill until a few years later, but this may have left him in a weaker state than perhaps was realized at the time. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 46

So ... what did you think of the seaon finale? Some issues resolved, but others left slightly hanging. Do you think that the Duchess of Monmouth will run off with Joseph, or leave him "waiting at the station"? I was surprised by the issue that finally allowed Albert to see Feodora for the self-centered & manipulative woman she was. Lord Palmerston's career is evolving; I'm glad his wife Emily has moved to London, to be part of that!

It's interesting to see the "power" available to the lady's maids of the nobility, based on their access to & class-crossing intimacy with their "bosses". Women like Anna on "Downton Abbey", and now both Skerrett and Abigail Turner. Turner probably saved Sophie's life!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 46

@ASTRAEA  - Yes, they do put drama ahead of facts when it's convenient! Cat Surprised

Thanks for the info on Duke of Wellington, interesting to follow the history!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 46

@MaVolta I had to watch that part of the episode again online, to see how Albert's name came up, in Wellington's talk with Victoria, about replacing him. Since we've already seen how the show has taken liberties with historical fact, it may not surprise us to learn that irl Wellington remained Commander-in-Chief until his death. 

The more research I do, just to get the chronology correct, the more "liberties" I discover the show has taken! For example, I wanted to get a feel for when that conversation concerning his "retirement" took place. He retired from politics (House of Lords) in 1946, but remained C-in-C. That discussion had to be shortly before the Crystal Palace Exhibition (1851). Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington died September 1952 .. so he didn't last much longer. He was succeeded by Vicount Henry Hardinge, another career veteran of several wars & polititian .. so the idea that Prince Albert could fill Wellington's shoes couldn't have been taken seriously.

My guess (hope) is that the situation is arranged so that the Duke of Monmouth makes a grievous mistake, and falls into a pile of doo-doo on his own, so that no one's to blame for his downfall.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors